Help me decide: New Tivo Premiere XL means I have to sell an old one... but which?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TheWGP, Apr 26, 2011.

1. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    So, here's what I have:

S2DT lifetime
    Tivo HD lifetime with 1TB DVR Expander attached
    Tivo Premiere lifetime

The thing is, I just bought a Tivo Premiere XL at a thrift store for $40, after verifying it worked and the TSN was clear. I was just able to activate lifetime service on it for $199 - CSR offered, I took it, considering it my lucky day! It's on my account now, confirmed with lifetime, and it's working fine. That's cheaper than the hottest of the Woot deals. :eek: It's going in the living room, which pushes the Premiere out of there.

This leaves me with a dilemma: I really only have a USE for two or three DVR's in the house, and I really do need to recoup the $199 that I spent on this lifetime. Thus, selling one box seems to be my best bet.

So, any thoughts on which I should sell? I plan to keep the expander and use it with whichever capable unit I keep.

Tivo S2DT with lifetime - not currently actively used, but it is the base unit for MSD purposes - but I'm not sure that MSD is a factor anymore!
    The real downside of selling the S2DT is that I'd probably barely hit $200 for it after all the ebay fees and junk are taken out.

Tivo HD with lifetime - I might net $375 for it after ebay/pp fees.

Tivo Premiere with lifetime - I might net $400 for it after ebay/pp fees.

More or less, the choice is this:

Option 1: sell S2DT for $200 and lose MSD but get rid of oldest tech / hardest to use anymore

Option 2: sell Tivo HD (most likely) or Premiere for $375-400 and keep MSD but lose newer tech/most likely to be supported in the future.

Obviously with Option 2 there's also the "HD or Premiere" issue but I'd probably keep the Premiere since the monetary difference is so low.

Does anyone else regret losing their MSD when all they had at the time was lifetimed boxes? I know the S2DT and HD will continue to lose value, but I've got to think the S2DT's value is going to drop faster.

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The S2 is of no benefit if MSD is not an issue. Keeping it in the closet doing nothing doesn't make any sense when you can get a few dollars for it now.

3. ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan Member

Jan 6, 2008
    No question about it: sell the S2. What's the point of it in the age of HD?

4. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    If you sell the S2 then the HD becomes the base unit for MSD. So MSD is not an issue.

5. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Not if the OP paid the MSD price for the lifetime sub on the HD.

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Nail on the head there. I paid $299 or whatever it was for a 3-year sub on ANOTHER S2DT, when lifetime was not available. Transferred that subscription to a $99-at-Blockbuster Tivo HD, then got $99 lifetime added to it through the promo for folks who bought 3-year subs when lifetime wasn't available.

That makes me want to do a tivo-expense chart! I know, I'm weird...

S2DT #1, Oct 2007 = $199+$299 for 3-year-service MINUS $150 rebate & $100 service giftcard from Amazon = $248 total expense (now unsubbed)

S2DT #2, Feb 2008 = $94.49 from Tigerdirect + $399 lifetime MINUS 38.85 3-month-giftcard = 454.64 total expense

Glo Remote, Feb 2008 = $47.99 from Ebay
    Wireless-G adapter, Feb 2008 = $37.99 from Amazon Gold Box
    Wireless-G adapter #2, March 2008 = 39.18 from Amazon third-party

Tivo HD, June 2010 = $105.68 from Blockbuster + $99 lifetime transferred with 3-year plan from S2DT #1 = $204.68 total expense

DVR Expander 1TB, July 2010 = $112.99 from Beach Camera

Tivo Premiere, January 2011 = $64.99 from Woot + $199 lifetime = 263.99 total expense

Tivo Premiere XL, April 2011 = 42.70 from thrift store + $199 lifetime = 241.70 total expense - lowest ever for non-promotional-giveaway lifetimed Tivo XL? :D

Total of all these boxes, service plans, and accessories was... $1651.16. Yikes, that hurts when I type it all out! :eek: I know I've been extremely fortunate with deals, but still, any desire I had to spring for a wireless-n adapter is firmly put to rest for the moment!

Anyway, fully 27.5% of my Tivo expense is sunk into that old S2DT #2... scary. It's definitely my MSD base.

I think there's a very long shot of an argument that the Tivo HD could be a base - because I've spent $398 total on that lifetime, effectively, since lifetime wasn't available at the time I purchased the old S2DT #1. I wouldn't expect this argument to get very far, but at least in theory that was the idea behind the $99 promo from what I heard - let people who got 3-year-subs when lifetime was gone pay the rest of the 399 cost for lifetime. BTW, I'd expect Tivo to ignore the rebate & gift card - those shouldn't enter into it.

Anyway, what do I really lose without MSD? The ability to add a monthly Tivo at 9.95 instead of 12.95? I know I lose the ability to get $199 lifetime - the last tech I talked to about it said something about it being tied to my still having a S2DT lifetimed and there being some kind of half-off offer for new Premiere activations for me. I thought that offer expired around launch... but whatever! Counting on it by the time I get any new box would be silly anyway.

Honestly, if the biggest issue is that I'll be stuck paying $299 for lifetime on my next Tivo, then yeah, the S2DT is going to find a new home. Hopefully one that can make better use of it!

7. ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan Member

Jan 6, 2008
    The details are interesting, but are you seriously considering sticking with an S2? In 2011? If you're still watching analog on a 32" tube TV, then why would you buy a Premiere? And if you do have HD, why is the S2 even a consideration? Get it out pronto, and have HD on all your systems. :)

8. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Sell any of the S2s you aren't using and you can bring your total expense numbers back down. Unless you have a really good reason to watch standard def TV in 2011, get as much salvage value for these obsolete devices while you can.

If you think there will be a wave of nostalgia or some other reason for the S2 to rise in price in the future, then hold on to them for a while. Personally, I don't see that happening.;)

9. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    As hard is it is for most people to believe, some people don't give a rat's furry butt about HDTV.

Why not? I can't answer for the OP, but in my case, it was because for $65 (from woot just like the OP's) I could get dual tuner OTA and Netflix for my 26" SDTV

As hard is it is for most people to believe, some people don't give a rat's furry butt about HDTV and therefore don't require it in their lives.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I'd probably just keep all the Tivos and pair the S2 with one of the other Tivos on a single TV. Set the remote codes to 1 and 2 so you can control them both with one remote. You never know when you might need an extra tuner.

11. ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan Member

Jan 6, 2008
    I'd expect such people to not buy HD DVRs.

The OP has two or three HD Tivos, and said nothing suggesting he was still watching on old, analog sets.

And if he doesn't care about HD, the answer is equally trivial: keep whatever Tivo is cheapest and toss the other, regardless of HD.

12. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Why? How many companies are making SD dvr's? How many of those have dual tuners and cost less than $65? I'd expect people to buy what's available.

Your thinking process needs work.

13. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    All I know is this thread wants me to go check thrift stores.

14. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Looks like posting is screwing up again, no telling what's going on. Someone get the mods out of Happy Hour, hopefully they fix things faster than Tivo! ;)

15. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think what's happening is that the posts which have evaporated have "crossed the line" from asking about selling to offering for sale.

Apparently the first is okay but the second, while not as objectionable as the gibberish with embedded wow gold links, still falls into the same category, introduces slippery slope, et cetera.

16. Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Only this old man's opinion, but equipment manufacturers have an awful habit of putting low-end OEM Chinese drives in their equipment - DVRs in particular. Inside the DVR there is also a significant heat issue with minimal-to-no ventilation.

I'd go with a conventional Premier then add a high-end, good quality external drive, such as the TIVO-recommended Western Digital 1TB (114.99 @ Amazon). Just my 2¢ worth.

17. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    I see two flaws with your argument:

1) Tivo use WD drives as the internal drives in their DVR's in the first place.
    2) With an external drive Tivo splits the recordings between the two drives so if either drive fails all recordings are lost. This effectively halves the MTBF for the combination.

18. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Just to update: I did end up selling the S2DT. Got a Wireless-N adapter though so I negated some of my savings. The math now looks like this:

S2DT #1 - $248 expense, sold in package
    S2DT #2 - $454.64 expense, sold in package
    Wireless-G adapter - 39.18 expense, sold in package

Package SOLD 5/2011 for $199, so net lost 542.82 on those Tivos - but I got enough use out of them I'm happy, and now they're "written off!"

What I have now:
    Glo Remote, Feb 2008 = $47.99 from Ebay
    Wireless-G adapter, Feb 2008 = $37.99 from Amazon Gold Box - SOLD with S2DT
    Wireless-G adapter #2, March 2008 = 39.18 from Amazon third-party

Tivo HD, June 2010 = $105.68 from Blockbuster + $99 lifetime transferred with 3-year plan from S2DT #1 = $204.68 total expense

DVR Expander 1TB, July 2010 = $112.99 from Beach Camera

Tivo Premiere, January 2011 = $64.99 from Woot + $199 lifetime = 263.99 total expense

Tivo Premiere XL, April 2011 = 42.70 from thrift store + $199 lifetime = 241.70 total expense - lowest ever for non-promotional-giveaway lifetimed Tivo XL? :D

Tivo Wireless-N Adapter, May 2011 = 51.75 from Ebay after cashback

Total net cost of everything I still have currently active comes to 875.11. That averages to 291.70 for each of my three lifetimed Tivos, even with accessories added in. With the "written-off" loss from the earlier one, I've spent a net of $1417.93 on Tivo and Tivo-related stuff - I suppose that's pretty good considering the years of use I got out of the now-sold kit. I feel like the only one I even slightly overpaid on was the S2DT with lifetime... and even there the total cost was less than a new lifetime sub today!

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

And the Premiere works perfectly fine on an SD set.
    Plus you can still record the HD channels, and watch it in letterbox format and not get 40% of the picture cut off.

20. jclem

jclem New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Framingham, MA
    I think the answer is "No", but I'll ask anyway. I have a series 3 HD box with 2 's' cablecards. I bought a Premier to replace it. Will the 's' card work in the premier? If not, I have to wait almost 2 weeks for a Fios "truck rollout". Thanks