Help Me Connect Broadband in One Room To Tivo in Another

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by NerdXing, Sep 20, 2007.

1. NerdXing

NerdXing New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm a geek about some things but I still need help with others...

I live in a one bedroom apartment. My bedroom has my computer (due to space issues) with my Clearwire broadband modem. In the main room are my Tivo and Xbox. Because connecting them by wire would require a cable approx. 100ft. running from one room to another I am thinking of going wireless. Problem is I've always lived in a wired world. Because of this I was hoping someone could give me a recommended list of brands and required equipment to connect Computer\Clearwire to Tivo\Xbox wirelessly. Also need a step by step for the process.

I know someone must be able to help...

So please, HELP!!

2. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Is your modem connected directly to your computer? If so, you need a router in addition to everything else.

OK, let me suggest you use similar devices to what I have in my apartment---I have a Linksys WRT54G router. It's a good product that's been around for a while.

You also need something in your main room. I would recommend a wireless bridge. That gets the signal wirelessly from your wireless router and has a switch into which you can connect devices like your TiVo and console. I use the Buffalo Wireless-G Ethernet Converter. Pretty easy to set up/use (as long as you use WPA security). Using a bridge means that you only have one thing that needs to talk wirelessly with your router---your TiVo, etc will think that it connects via a wired connection.

Hope that helps.

3. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The alternate to the a single wireless bridge in the main room would be two separate wireless adapters. I'd do a simple cost tradeoff of the two solutions and go with the cheapest unless there might be a need to add future wired devices in the main room in which case I clearly go with the bridge.

4. NerdXing

NerdXing New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    You guys are AWESOME! I knew there was a simple answer. If you ask a salesman they tend to sell you things you don't need for money you don't have. You give it up for free!

THANKS! Again...

5. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Nothing beats a TiVo SOAK. :)

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Do some math.

Figure the cost of the special TiVo wireless adapter plus an Xbox adapter (which I believe is proprietary also), vs a bridge and a switch, or a router that can be set up as a bridge.

7. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Well this made a lightbulb go off in my head.....

I have my TiVo talking to my wireless router via a TiVo-branded adapter. I was thinking of getting a Slingbox and the Slingcatcher when it comes out. I know I would need something like a wireless bridge to connect the slingbox to my router upstairs. The benefit of that is I could take the adapter out of the loop for the TiVo and plug it into the wireless bridge. I could then sell my adapter (though I would likely keep it as a fallback plan).

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
  9. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Of course this is only for S1 or single tuner S2s as the Dual Tuner and the S3 and HD have a built-in ethernet jack. In fact, TiVo's website recommends not using a wired adapter:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/Lau...-3df2-43a2-b7d5-fb0fae1ea86d&anchor=undefined

10. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The OP has a "Black Box 80hr" so we can assume it's an S2 and is likely a 140 or 240 model. Therefore, no ethernet connection, which is why I posted the need for the adapter.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't understand this. You don't mean to use "wireless routers" on both ends, right?

I'm probably wrong, but it's my understanding that you have to get one that is capable of being a *repeater* (an added function that not all have as far as I know) to use one as an adapter. Earlier this week, Fry's had one for about $30. I was thinking of buying it, but it only had one plug, it didn't have a switch in it.

BTW, Fry's has a lower price than buffalo's own search page shows. I have been looking at this one for quite a while (to hook my S3, and now S1 since I just bought a used Turbonet adapter) so I can cancel my upstairs phone -- at least in a few months when my S1's free year of service (from transferring lifetime to the S3) ends. I also just got a $25 credit from my Amazon credit card, so it'll make this Buffalo thing even cheaper.

12. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

No. The OP has a Tivo and an Xbox. Thus the option of using 2 adapters (not routers), one for the Tivo and one for the Xbox.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    OP must be rich then! The only semi-inexpensive adapter is the Buffalo one which also has a 4 port switch in it. Heck, I've rarely seen *any* other adapters like this at all.

14. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Linksys (and other companies) have so-called "game adapters"...though I believe most if not all require a electrical outlet (that was certainly a concern for me---my home theater area doesn't have a tons of excess outlets...)

15. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    This is what you should buy...

WRT54G router
    WAP54G Acess Point (Configure it as a bridge)
    Any brand switch

16. PaulS

PaulS Active Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Southern NH
    Two BUFFALO WHR-G125 wireless routers from Newegg HERE for $40 a piece.

Flash 'em both with DD-WRT (instructions how to do this are HERE ).

Set one up to be the main access point. Hook it up to your broadband router and PC.

Set one up to be a client bridge (instructions HERE), and hook up the TiVo and XBox to it. Client bridge mode essentially turns your router into a "gaming adapter", which simply connects a wired ethernet device to a wireless network.

I've done this a few times, and it always works out great. It's also cheaper than buying a gaming adapter, which typically are more expensive than routers (I have no idea why).

17. NerdXing

NerdXing New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Thanks!! Cheap is ALWAYS good!

Excuse me... Inexpensive is Always Good!!

18. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Actually, it turns it unto a "wireless bridge". Yes, many people use bridges for gaming, but that doesn't change the fact that what you're describing is a bridge.

19. NerdXing

NerdXing New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    PaulS - So I don't get screwed by the salesman what are the names of the cables I need to connect my S2 Tivo and Xbox to the client\bridge? They are about 3 feet apart in a stereo\tv cabinet.

Aldo, just to let interested people know... Circuit City has them for $24.99 after rebate through 06-Oct-07. Get 'em while you can.

20. PaulS

PaulS Active Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Southern NH
    Actually, it doesn't. It's not a true transparent bridge, like you'd expect. The client bridge rewrites the source MAC address (like a router would) in going to the WLAN. This is a restriction of the 802.11g standard.

I've done router/switch design and development for quite a long time, and know the difference.