Help! I've got DirecTv, Tivo S2, and an ir blaster: How do I set this up?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by clarinetgirl163, Jul 15, 2007.

1. clarinetgirl163

clarinetgirl163 New Member

Jul 2, 2007

Advertisements

I just can't seem to find much information on this problem. I got DirecTv in March this year, but I don't know what series the box is. My Tivo was out of comission since I moved, and now that the service is up again I learn that it wasn't easy to use with DT.

I got an IR blaster, my Tivo is the Series 2, and my DT receiver has no serial port. I've killed many brain cells staring at this computet screen researching this...please help.

In addition I don't plan on having Direct TV more than 4 or 5 more months-so DirecTivo isn't an option.

Thanks!

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Run guided setup? The receiver model must be printed on it somewhere, but why does that matter?

3. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    First you have to position the IR blaster on the DT receiver. I'm not familiar with DT receivers since I have DirecTivo, but if there is an opaque plastic window on it, I use a flashlight to find the IR receiver (?, usually looks like a little bulb) and position the blaster directly above it for maximum effect. Then you run guided setup.

4. clarinetgirl163

clarinetgirl163 New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    I have the cables setup so the standalone Tivo is connected to the DT receiver, which is then connected to the TV. The IR blaster is positioned, the Tivo is on, but it won't load the setup screen. I press the Tivo button on my remote and it makes the green light turn green-yellow, other wise nothing happens. Now what?
    Thanks.

5. beejaycee

beejaycee New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    N'Awlins

Advertisements

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying that the order of connections is satellite dish > Directv receiver > Tivo > TV? If the light is turning green-yellow, then the Tivo is receiving the signal from the remote but you are not getting the output to the TV. Is the TiVo properly connected to the TV? Sounds like a dumb suggestion but double-check it to be sure that the signal-out from the TiVo is connected to the signal-in on the television. If you are using the coax wire and not component connectors, make sure that the TiVo is set to output on the channel that your TV is tuned to received (either 3 or 4). If you are using the component connectors, is the TV receiving on Video1 (or whatever it needs to be tuned to for the components)?

6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Do you have: Tivo connected to Directv Receiver then Receiver to TV?

It should go: Directv Receiver, Tivo then TV.

If your Directv Receiver has no Serial Connector then its a D10, D11, or D12.

Once everything is hooked up, Run quided Setup on the Tivo and all will be fine.

7. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    In other words, the output of the receiver has to be connected to the input of the Tivo. Then the output of the Tivo goes to the TV.

8. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Pity we have not heard anything back :(