HELP! I lost ESPNHD (Comcast - 173)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by 444turbodiesel, Sep 10, 2007.

1. 444turbodiesel

444turbodiesel New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I recently lost 173 (ESPNHD) on my S3 TiVo on both tuners.

My Sansung HD TV also has a Comcast CableCard and it works fine.

I tried rotating the cards, didn't help, all the cards get 173 in the TV but not in the TiVo.

Restarted the TiVo, didn't help.
    Unplugged the TiVo, didn't help.
    Erased everything, re-ran the guided setup, didn't help.

This is driving me nuts!

I can watch ESPNHD (173) on my TV, but I can't record/rewind/skip commercials (all the fun stuff I bought the TiVo for)

All the other HD channels work fine!
    Anyone have any idea what the deal is here?

2. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Are you cable cards still paired and authorized correctly?

3. 444turbodiesel

Jan 29, 2007
    Wouldn't that effect all the HD channels?
    173 is the only one not working

I did look at the Network settings and tried to "hunt" for data, it just sits there with "Hunting for Network Data" displayed. Whether or not that is important I dunno...

4. aharris999

aharris999 New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    For some reason, I've only been getting ESPN HD video, but no audio. Comcast in Richmond, VA. Channel 252.

5. 444turbodiesel

Jan 29, 2007
    I've tried talking to Comcast (after waiting on hold forever) they say the TiVo is the problem (typical answer)

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    See if the CCI value for your channel 172 is 0x02. If so, the most likely problem is that your CableCARD(s) aren't validated.

(Rotating the cards between devices is generally not a good idea)

7. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    444TD - It's possible that they moved some channels around and haven't resent out the actual new QAM channel mapping to the TV channel for the 3rd party cable card equipment.

They send the updated mappings to their STBs (w/ or w/o CableCARD) by another system. This is why SDV and VOD services will work on their systems and not on ours (it sends out the location of the channel it should look for.)

I lost Cinemax HD in my area for a couple days now on my TiVo HD. I'm sure I'll see that they've changed the mapping around and eventually will resend the mapping out to the 3rd party CableCard equipment.

CCourtney

8. mhargr03

mhargr03 New Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Are you in Chicagoland? (my ESPN HD is 173 also)
    I'll check to see if I am having the same problem though I was not as of a few days ago when I last watched ESPN HD via the Tivo. When exactly did the problem surface?

9. 444turbodiesel

Jan 29, 2007
    I called Comcast again last night they verified the CC's locations in my equipment (all three) and said they should be working properly. Only the TV is able to tune 173 (and it does it so regardless of which CC is inserted) I have an appointment tomorrow AM for a Comcast tech to show up we'll see how it goes.

In the IP address settings (on the TiVo) there is no IP address for either CC, and the downstream field says "unconfigured" if that matters.

The CCI value on both cards is 0X00

If the cards are no longer registered or paired, wouldn't I lose all the HD channels?

Thanks for the info!

I am in Northern Indiana (Elkhart)

10. redchia

redchia New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I lost channel 173 ESPNHD as well. I get every other channel including the HBOs, but ESPNHD is gone. Had a tech out here (couldn't fix anything) and another report of a someone in the area is having the same problem with cable cards and TiVo.

I noticed it on Saturday night when I tried to tune in to it.

Any one get this resolved or know any more information about this issue?

I am in SW Michigan (Benton Harbor)

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The CCI value is by channel, not by card. You show CCI of 00 for 173 on both cards?

If so, and everything else is fine, it's most likely a frequency mapping error (or there is a trap on your line), but that wouldn't explain why you can see it with a card in the TV.

12. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    FWIW, I check my CineMaxHD freq being tunned to it was 533MHz on my TiVo HD and on my SA8300HD it was 537MHz. I check the other working stations and they all came up w/ the working same freq for both my TiVo HD and my SA8300HD.

Apparently the head end is telling my TiVo via CableCARD that CineMaxHD (419) maps to the wrong frequency.

If you have a Cable STB/DVR you may want to look up how to pull the freq of the channel being tuned (SA8300HD is just hit pause twice, holding pause on the second time until the little mail icon on the front display comes up. Then using the Page Up button to go to the first page and this should show the current actively display tuners information.)

The TiVo HD, I don't recall the exact sequence, I just went through the menu's to see what made logical sense. It's close to where you go to the cable card setup. Sorry, I didn't write down the steps, I'd guess it can be found somewhere here.

That said I need to call my CableCO and let them know they're F'ng up again.

CCourtney

13. 444turbodiesel

Jan 29, 2007
    The tech came out and said they did some program updates which are messing with people's channels. After I told him my issue (with only one channel) he called his tech in Chicago, we went through some tests with no results. He said he had a S3 on his bench he would check to see if it was doing the same thing, it was.

He said he'd call me if he needed more info, but he'd keep working to fix it.

Which he did...it's working now! Woohoo! just in time for the games.

Thanks for the help!

14. redchia

redchia New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Do you have any idea what was done to fix the issue? I still don't have channel 173 ESPN HD and it is starting to get annoying as we all know how wonderful it is to talk to a comcast CSR. "I am going to send a signal to your house. did that fix it? Ok well we are going to have to schedule a technician to come out"

15. glsMC

glsMC New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I live in SW Michigan and have also lost 173 ESPNHD on Comcast. On the second truck roll last Wednesday the guy finally talked to a technician at Comcast that confirmed a problem on their end with 173 ESPNHD in Tivo Series 3's. He said they were working on it, but as of now (Saturday night) it still doesn't work. I dread the thought of calling Comcast yet again and trying to get someone that will know about the problem and it's status.

16. redchia

redchia New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I called Comcast again. Supposedly they created a ticket for their dispatch team which specializes in CC issues. I am suppose to receive some kind of answer or resolution today, but I am doubtful of that. I think I actually heard about you last week because I had Comcast out last Wednesday too and there was a report that came in that they told me someone else was having the same issue with channel 173 ESPN HD and a Tivo Series 3 box. Was your tech's name Justin?

17. glsMC

glsMC New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Yes, I think it was! I called Comcast again today, too, and was told that someone would be me calling back within 1 hour. Well, that time frame has come and gone and I still have not heard from them.

I know it doesn't help us any, but it is good to know that someone else with an S3 on Comcast in SW Michigan is having the same problem. I think that tells us the problem is at their end. Hopefully they can get it corrected soon.

Thanks for giving the update...

18. glsMC

glsMC New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Comcast did call me back and scheduled yet another tech to come to the house tomorrow. She said they want to have a technician on site to call in and talk to the cable card people at Comcast. I tried to see if they would just talk to me, but she wouldn't go for it. So we will see how it goes tomorrow...

19. redchia

redchia New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I have been trying 173 every morning to see if it shows up and it looks like they resolved the issue because this morning ESPN HD was on ... FINALLY!!! I guess their developers finally figured out how to fix the issue ... being a software developer myself, a week and half is entirely too long for an emergency like this! I got some credit applied to my account for the missing channel, hope you are able to do the same and have ESPN HD restored now.

20. glsMC

glsMC New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Yes, mine is working now as well. Comcast was out to the house Tuesday afternoon and the guy spent about two hours on the phone with tech support. They were trying just about everything and were about to give up when they finally hit on a solution. Supposedly they completely removed ESPNHD from the Digital Classic line up and then put it right back in again -- not just for me but globally for the entire node out of St. Joseph. When she did that, it started working again and they were pretty sure doing that fixed it for everyone else having the same problem in our area. They still don't know what caused the problem in the first place but hopefully it will not happen again.