Help! I Can't watch MLB IE recording (copy never)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jercra, Sep 17, 2007.

1. jercra

jercra New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    I set my new TiVo HD to wishlist record all Red Sox and Yankees games. Tonight is the first time I tried to come home from work and watch a game that was on one of the MLB IE channels. I am NOT ALLOWED TO WATCH due to copyright protection. WTF is going on here? I have had a Comcast DVR box for years and could keep and watch MLB IE games whenever I wanted and however often I wanted for as long as I wanted. This is an unacceptable occuarance that will make me return my TiVo tomorrow if there is not a solution. Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

It's copy protection that the cable cards are reading and obeying. Most PPV is that way no way around it.

The Cable should follow it also, but there are sometimes it doesn't.

3. jercra

jercra New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Well, that's very sad. Trying to play something CCI 0x03 past the 90 minute start seems to have actually brought my TiVo to it's knees too. This is the second time this has happened and requires a reboot to fix. Basically I can no longer watch anything recorded or live. I get a frozen screen and about 3 seconds of audio and then that goes away too.

Well, I guess my TiVo gets returned tomorrow. The TIVO HD is clearly not ready for primetime and the cable company (Comcast in Portland, Or) has defeated both TiVo and me.

4. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Sounds like Comcast made an error on your account. I have the NHL package and I have no problem with when I watch my recordings.

5. jercra

jercra New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    I just talked to Comcast and they told me that the flags are set that way on purpose for those channels and that they interpret them as PPV and that it is within their rights to do so. I told them that it was at worst illegal and at best anti-competitive and that my only recourse was DirecTV. They said, simply, OK. The TiVo goes back tomorrow since what I really wanted was the wishlist stuff I used to have when I had D* and TiVo years ago. A shame too, I have been missing TiVo for years.

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I'd talk to Comcast again - MLBEI is supposed to be CCI 0x02, not 0x03.

If they don't have the restriction on the Comcast DVR, that CLEARLY indicates an error on their setting of the cp flags.

7. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Exactly. I had the same problem with MoJo and had to call my cable company to correct it. Not easy to do but hang in there. I have MLBEI and I can record just fine.

8. jercra

jercra New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    I have already ordered D* but I have one last card to play today. I work in the cable industry and know a lot of people (none with Comcast Portland unfortunately). I will be attempting to use those contacts to get this changed. If I fail then I am getting close to the 30 cutoff for cancelling the 3 year subscription from TiVo and don't see how I can wait this out without it costing me $300.

9. sjcbulldog

sjcbulldog Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Oregon
    There is another thread on this that I started. I talked with Portland comcast about this and they told me that MLB mandidated that this show be broadcast with CCI = 0x03. When I mentioned that it was strange that MLB made a deal that required this in Portland Oregon but not in the rest of the country (did not know Portland was that important), they responded by offering me a free comcast HD set top box DVR. I think it is probably that some person in Portland has decided to use this to push comcast set top boxed versus Tivos and therefore has done this. I had them cancel the MLB package immediately and refund my money.

Sjcbulldog

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The ludicrous thing about this is the cable company boxes ignore CCI=0x03 flags and display/record them without any 90 minute restrictions. If the cable company boxes dealt with these the same way Tivo does then these kinds of problems would get fixed right away. So either they are violating DFAST or Tivo was over-zealous in trying to comply with copyright protections...

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

seems pretty clear in anythign that i read that tivo is doing the right thing and seeing 0x03 as 90 minute self distruct.

Not positive but i dont think the cable company boxes need to obey dfast at all. THey dont get approved by cablelabs.

(they're just using a loophole to screw competition)

12. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Ironic isn't it that if Tivo followed their lead then CableLabs wouldn't approve of Tivo's device. This issue should have nothing to do with Cable company decision - it's supposed to be the content providers that are being protected here after all isn't it? (makes you wonder) Talk about a double standard! "Things that make you go hmmmm..."

13. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Cablelabs approval means that a device must be accepted on the cable system. Lack of Cablelabs approval doesn't require that it not be accepted, so the cable company is perfectly free to accept its own (non-Cablelabs) set top boxes, but can refuse any other.

14. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...

The new OCAP boxes w/ CableCARD that the CableCo's are suppose to be supplying though are approved by CableLabs. Hopefully, they will have enough customers complaining about them monkeying around w/ the CCI (which some of the CableCo's have admitted to doing) will get straightened out and we won't have this issue on the TiVo HD & S3 boxes.

CCourtney

15. jercra

jercra New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    I called back to Comcast today to try to get a different answer. The guy actually asked me why I was calling back if I had alread recieved an answer. Loser. Anyway, after MUCH arguing he went and asked every supervisor about the issue. None of them have ever heard of the issue. They said that, since no one else had ever complained of this issue that it must be isolated and that I needed to call TiVo. After a lot more yelling I finally got one of the supervisors to agree that it may possible to change this setting in the headend. I happen to work in a place that has a DAC. Once I get to the office this afternoon I am going to identify exactly where the configuration setting is and call the back and tell then what to change. I have also begun down the path of contacting my people at HITS. If Portland is a NAS/NASRAC site then I can get this solved pretty easily. If they are a DAC site then I will need some Comcast support (which means I am screwed). I happen to work within walking distance of the Headend so I may even just walk over there if all else fails.

So, in short, they don't have enough people compaining. I will post about my results.

16. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    While they may need CableLabs approval that doesn't necessarily mean they need to be DFAST compliant right? Where's dt_dc or one of the other experts...

17. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
  18. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The issue being discussed in this thread is a different issue nothing to do with HDMI: for CCI=0x03 (copy never) flagged programs S3 & THD units only keep the recordings up to 90 minutes. That restriction is supposed to only apply to VOD & PPV programs but some cable companies apply them to other channels as well. I think it's murky though as the MLB channels could be considered PPV... Nonetheless the cable company DVR does not impose 90 min restriction on these channels which is another bone to pick.

19. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
  20. jercra

jercra New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    I talked to my contacts today the Motorola National Headend (NAS/NASRAC) to find out what their settings are. It turns out that there is a "reccomendation", from Motorola of all people, that all PPV content be set to CCI 0x03 (it is called Copy Never in the DAC itself). Somewhere someone has decided that MLB EI is PPV. This means that this setting is not just in Portland. Is there anyone on Comcast who IS able to record MLB EI?