Help hooking up Panasonic sound bar SC-HTB10 to Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by javabird, Jan 13, 2012.

1. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I just got a sound bar (Panasonic SC-HTB10) and I've having some trouble figuring out how to hook it up because my Panny plasma TV only has 2 HDMI ports. I currently have the TivoHD in HDMI port 1 and the AppleTV in HMDI port 2 (I tried connecting the Tivo via component and an optical cable, but then didn't get any sound from the TV on the Tivo.)

I considered getting an HDMI switch from Monoprice, but one review said an automatic switch isn't recommended to use with Tivos because they need to stay on all the time. I would really like to just have the sound bar switch on automatically with the TV and I guess you need to use the ARC for that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Devices:
    TivoHD
    Apple TV2
    Panasonic DVD (1 component, 1 composite, 1 HDMI)
    Sound Bar - 2 HDMI (1 has ARC), 1 digital optical

TV: Panasonic Viera plasma P42X3
    2 HDMI ports (1 ARC)
    1 component
    1 composite
    1 digital optical

2. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    Ok, I got everything working -- I hooked up the Tivo via HDMI to the sound bar and sound bar to TV via HDMI (ARC) and now I can control the volume via the Tivo remote. (I had forgotten to change the audio settings on the TV for that input before--duh!).

3. dakinebuilt

dakinebuilt New Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Quick question, how did you end up connecting your Apple TV (HDMI)? Did that still work with your sound bar?

I will have the same problem. I have a panasonic tv with 2 hdmi ports. I have a TIVOHD (HDMI) and a BlueRay DVD player (HDMI). I was just curious what or how you ended up hooking up your Apple TV to work with your sound bar.

4. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I had to change my setup, because with the Tivo hooked to the ARC HDMI port, the Tivo kept randomly restarting. What I have now:

HDMI-1 (ARC) --> soundbar --> DVD
    HDMI-2 --> AppleTV
    TivoHD - component video + RCA A/V --> TV
    Optical cable from TV --> sound bar

The only drawback I'm finding with this setup is that when I change inputs to the AppleTV, the DVD wants to start up and it forces the input to switch back to the DVD. So the workaround is to wait till the DVD loads and then manually turn off the DVD, then switch back to the AppleTV. I'm not really happy with having to do that, but I prefer to have the sound bar switch on automatically when the TV comes on, since the others in my household mostly use the Tivo.

The alternative is just to have the optical cable to the sound bar, which would disable some of the ARC features and then to turn on the sound bar manually when you turn on the TV (I think) -- or I might get an HDMI switch from mono price so I can have another HDMI port.