Help Home network

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by cmtk05, Sep 29, 2007.

1. cmtk05

cmtk05 New Member

Feb 1, 2005

Advertisements

ok here is my setup:

cable modem into wireless router. Main cpu conected to that. Tivo on tivo adapter, video server in garage on wireless usb adapter.

The tivo accesses files on the server, and its real slow. It was faster to do it from my main cpu to tivo, though i wanted to make a file server. My tivo and files server are not in the same room, but at the same end of the house. The modem, router and main cpu is at the other end.

I want to wire my tivo to file server, how can i do this? just a bridge?

2. stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
    I can not help, but I think the people who can will need to know more.

What type is the wireless router and adapters, IIRC g is the fastest type.
    A type b adapter on a wireless system will slow the whole system down to its speed.

IIRC, the Series 3 TiVo or the new HDTiVo give you other options then USB adapters.

Note: I don't have my TiVo on the network, so no idea if the TiVo adapter is type "g" or not.

3. cmtk05

cmtk05 New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    i have series 2 single tuner. wirelesss g cards.

Here is a question. Can i connect my tivo to my server (wire) which is connected wirelessly to my router. Wont the server act as a bridge? i understand the server will have to be for tivo to download info. Would this not work?

4. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    You can, and you *should*; wireless-g sucks-big-time for anything but casual usage (i.e. small file transfers) and surfing.

You haven't said though what this server IS; but if it has an unused Ethernet port, you can plug your Tivo into it. Be aware: if that ethernet port is not "auto-switching" you may need a crossover CAT5 cable and not a normal straight-thru.

I'm not exactly certain how to assure the server acts as a bridge--maybe someone here has done it and can help if you specify your server box and the sw it's running.

5. cmtk05

cmtk05 New Member

Feb 1, 2005

Advertisements

the server is just a pc running xp pro.

6. clem2270

clem2270 New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Washington...
    I agree with <Laserfan>, if you can, you need to convert to a "hard-wired" network setup.

To make this easier, I would suggest that you connect all network aware devices to your broadband router.

connecting your TiVo to an extra ethernet port on your "server" is going to add an additional level of complexity, not to mention this probably will not work for the TiVo's networkability.

Your router will act as your network DHCP/DNS/Gateway, automatically.

And if for some reason your router runs out of available ethernet/RJ45 jacks then you can purchase a standard 10/100 mb ethernet hub or switch, to add more ports to your network; just make sure the add-on hub or switch has auto cross-over capabilities.

7. cmtk05

cmtk05 New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    i could do this if i wanted to run like 5 50-60 foot cat cable under my house. i guess i am trying to avoid this. How do you connect a video server and tivo at one end of the house to your modem and router at the other end.

8. cmtk05

cmtk05 New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    come on guys. this cant be something new. Does everyone really connect there tivo to the router by wire no matter how far the distance is?

9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    How slow is slow, over wireless?

All of my TiVos are wireless, using the TiVo adapters. My router is the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with the DD-WRT firmware. I don't really think MRV and TTG are that slow (at least on my S2 boxes ... obviously I can't do that on the S3 yet). Obviously wired will be faster, but wireless is certainly a viable option.

That being said, what are your signal strengths like? If the router is at one of the house and the TiVo/video server are at the other, it could be just the (lack of) signal strength of the wireless router.

10. cmtk05

cmtk05 New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    my tivo is at 60%. I think i am doing this differently then others. This is not my router connected wired, to my pc server. This is a seperate wireless server connecting to my router then bouncing out to the tivo. 2 wireless hops.

I need to find a way to connect the tivo and video server by wire. Then have a hub, or bridge bounce to my router when tivo needs to update. All show transfers when then be done by wire.

I just wonder if i connect wire from tivo to server, then have server wirelessly to router, would that work?

Slow is slow. I have to almost buffer half a show before i start it.

11. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I understand, and that's a pretty common setup. Mine's slightly different because my video server is near the wireless router, so it's a wired connection, then it's wireless over to the TiVos.

Theoretically. First off, you said you have a single tuner S2, which means your TiVo probably doesn't have a built-in ethernet port. So you'd need a USB-to-ethernet adapter. Then you'd have to use a crossover cable to connect the TiVo to the NIC in your server.

Then I think you'd have to set up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the server, or maybe create a bridge between the NIC and the wireless adapter. It's been a long time since I've had to use that, so I'm not sure how to do it anymore, or if it will work for sure. But anyway, you'd set the default gateway on the TiVo to the IP address of the server's NIC, which would let it get out to the internet for the daily call and software updates.

Definitely more complicated ...

12. cmtk05

cmtk05 New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    thanks for the post. I see you here alot so its great that someone familier is here.

that is what i think would be the easiest. Is there something i am missing that would make it easier?

13. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Since you only have one TiVo and want primarily to increase transfer speeds of videos from the server to the TiVo, I guess that's the "simplest" solution for your requirements.