Help: Hanging and GSOD on a modded HDVR2 after 3 years of Error Free Operation

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JediCowboyD, Oct 2, 2006.

1. JediCowboyD

JediCowboyD Nerf Herder

Feb 21, 2002
    Happy...

Advertisements

Hey, look! This message board has a TiVo help section! Who knew?

I bought an HDVR2 in February 2003 and modded it myself with 2 120 GB hard drives from Weakness. Since that time it has operated error free until tonight. It's running the latest HDVR2 software, 6.2 I believe.

In the last 3 years the HDVR2 has been unplugged a few times, for moving it to a different place, cleaning behind the shelves and whatnot. The last time I did this was about a month ago. I just mention this in case it's important - the unit has been reset a handful of times

I turned on the TV this evening and saw nothing. No sound, no video signal, just a black screen. I had problems with loose wires in the past and checked those and that didn't solve it. I tried using the TiVo remote and the LEDs didn't flash to indicate that it was receiving a signal, and the front panel button didn't' get the machine to respond either. I unplugged the HDVR2, waited a few moments, and plugged it back in. Instantly I got the grey boot screen and the TiVo booted normally and functioned normally for about 3 hours.

A few moments ago I turn on the TV again and this time there's a video signal, but the screen is just showing one frame, like I've paused the TV, except it's hung as before.

I unplug the machine again and on reboot I get the GSOD. After about 10 minutes the TiVo starts working again and all now seems OK.

Any idea what could be going on? Just a spate of bad luck or signs of things to come? Anything I can do to check for possible errors, fix what might be wrong, or preparations I can make if all does go bad?

2. JediCowboyD

JediCowboyD Nerf Herder

Feb 21, 2002
    Happy...
    Now it just rebooted of its own accord and is stuck on the first grey "Welcome. Powering up . . ." screen.

3. JediCowboyD

JediCowboyD Nerf Herder

Feb 21, 2002
    Happy...
    Now it's hung again, back to a black screen. What's the problem and how can I fix this?

4. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    The problems you are reporting all are usually related to a hard drive failure.

Some have reported sucess by pulling the drive(s) and running the manufacture's DOS based utilities on them.

DO NOT BOOT TO WINDOWS WITH THE TiVo DRIVES ATTACHED TO YOUR COMPUTER.

Most people find that when TiVo cannot fix the drive through the GSOD the drives are toast.

I would go ahead and replace your dirve(s).

5. JediCowboyD

JediCowboyD Nerf Herder

Feb 21, 2002
    Happy...

Advertisements

Thanks OLdDog. I have very few problems with my TiVo, and they occur years apart, but it always seems you're the one who comes to my rescue.

I have the hard drives undergoing their scan and repair process now, but if it doesn't work I'm assuming what I do is get a new drive, run the HDVR2 version of InstantCake on it, and I'm good to go, right? (Assuming and hoping that it wasn't a problem with any other hardware)

6. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    You're welcome and yes.