Help getting .vhd file to new drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by eWhy, Feb 15, 2020.

1. eWhy

eWhy New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Here's where I'm at. My Tivo hard drive crashed. I purchased a new 1TB drive have it connected to my Windows 10 box as an empty drive E.

ggieseke helped my out by sending a .VHD file which is now on my windows desktop.

I've been trying without much success to figure out how to get the .VHD to my E drive correctly so my Tivo recognizes it.

Any guidance is appreciated.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You need to use the Windows program DVRBars to restore the .VHD image to the drive. But, you would need to delete that drive E:, erase the drive, leave it blank and just restore the image .VHD file to the drive.

3. eWhy

eWhy New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Thanks for the advice! I've made significant progress but I'm still stuck. I purchased a new drive and used that factory drive with DVRBars to load the image on the drive. Took a while via USB, but completed successfully. It booted my Tivo like a brand new unit which is farther than I got with the original drive that died. I went through the setup and go to loading the Tivo Service data. I completed Preparing, Connecting, Getting Info, Disconnecting just fine. As soon as it gets to Loading data, the unit reboots. I tried 3 times and it reboots in seemingly the same spot every time.

Any assistance is appreciated.

4. eWhy

eWhy New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    So the plot thickens. I tried once again to initiate the Tivo. This time I went to advanced options, installer options and turned of MoCA. When I got to loading the Tivo service data, the Tivo did not reboot, the loading went all the way through the percentage count. However, at the very end, I got an error S03 and it did not complete. I tried twice with the same results.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks.

5. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    A couple things to try.

One is to disconnect it from the internet for 3 to 4 days and allow it to do its own garbage collection.

The other thing would be to do a clear and delete everything and set it up anew again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. eWhy

eWhy New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    False alarm! I kept playing around with it and now I'm rocking and rolling!

ggieseke you da man! Thanks!

ThAbtO thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

7. Mar 4, 2020 #7 of 14
    MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I am going to do this with a Premiere 4 and wonder how you did get it to work as I have not done the restore yet and wanted to be sure I do it right.

8. Mar 4, 2020 #8 of 14
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You need to use the Windows program DVRBars to backup or restore.

9. Mar 4, 2020 #9 of 14
    MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Yes, I got that but wondered what he did where it did not update then all was good.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It needs to be under Administrator user.

11. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Yes, and I will give it a try tomorrow AM as the image is a bit older and we will see if it updates! OH, we moved here from the Bay Area...Saratoga.

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I am East bay.

13. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    OH...not too far.

14. ThAbtO