help for newbie with pytivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by denisee, Aug 3, 2015.

1. denisee

denisee New Member

Jun 14, 2010

Advertisements

Hello Community,

I've been a long time lurker on these boards, but I've only posted once before. Please forgive my ignorant questions, but I've done all I can on my own.

My needs for downloading/uploading videos to my tivos are pretty low. However, I do occasionally want to be able to load a video to my Tivo. Prior to 10.10 I was able to use Mac2Tivo with my Tivo Premiere to upload the occasional video. Now I have a TiVo Roamio Plus--and combined with my latest upgrade to Yosemite, none of the original Roxio software seems to be working.

So I installed pyTivo. My Tivo sees the folder, but the folder is empty. Please understand, my python knowledge is fairly limited. Here's what I've done:

1. Installed pyTivo per instructions "pytivo.sourceforgeDOTnet/wiki/index.php/Mac_OS_X_Install"
    2. Installed the latest version of the ffmpeg folder from here: "ffmpegDOTorg/download.html" to a bin folder within my pyTivo folder in Applications.
    3. I already have python installed, it looks like I'm running 2.6.2
    4. I've been able to access the pyTivo configuration webpage from machine pyTivo is installed on as well as a browser on another machine on my network.

Again, my Tivo sees the folder I've shared as a "device", but the folder remains empty. I'm wondering:
    1. If I need to upgrade python. If so, to what version?
    2. I loaded the ffmpeg folder directly into the bin folder I created. Was I supposed to place the folder contents into bin without the ffmpeg folder.
    3. I've referenced that ffmpeg folder in the pyTivo global settings as /applications/pytivo/bin/ffmpeg--is this correct?

Any thoughts the community has to get me up and running are greatly appreciated.

denise

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You need the full path on the ffmpeg entry, including the .exe

3. denisee

denisee New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    wow, these boards are fast. Full path to which file in the ffmpeg folder? This one? I see there's a UNIX executable called configure--is that the one?

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What pyTivo wants in the Global settings is the path to the ffmpeg executable file,not the directory. In your case, assuming you put all of the ffmpeg executables in the directory you posted, you need to add "/ffmpeg.exe" to the global settings entry.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

The OP is using a Mac -- they don't have ".exe" on their executables. I won't go further into that right now (it gets complicated), but looking at ffmpeg.org/download.html, it appears to be just the source code. So, yeah... that's wrong. You'd need to either build it (assuming Xcode is installed), or download a pre-built version for OS X.

6. denisee

denisee New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Thanks, and you're right I have a Mac. I downloaded the Mac version of ffmpeg and the three files it contains (ffmpeg, ffprobe, ffserver). A couple of questions:

the three mac-compiled files--should they go in bin or bin/ffmpeg

Should I reference the ffmpeg file or one of the other two.

thanks again to everyone for their help.

7. denisee

denisee New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    ok, since folks have helped me I have to admit how stupid my mistake was.

Yes, I removed all but the three compiled mac ffmpeg files. However, I realized that wasn't the issue. The issue was the extension of the video I was trying to upload. mp4 didn't work, m4v does.

file is now uploading to the Tivo and I've confirmed it works.

Now that it's working, pyTivo is great. I love the "push to tivo feature" and I think it's much faster than Mac2Tivo.

Thank you everyone!

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    That's not true in the general case. But I'd have to see the logs to know what happened.

9. denisee

denisee New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Then I suspect it was simply the streamlining of the ffmpeg folder that did the trick. Again, I'm grateful for the help!