Help for a first timer upgrading HD in Roamio Pro

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by irisr, Nov 6, 2016.

1. irisr

irisr Member

Jun 29, 2015
    I've had a TiVo since Series 2, but never upgraded a HD. I've got a Roamio Pro. And a Mac, not a PC. In addition I'd have to transfer the recordings from my TiVo to an external hard drive on my Mac, since there's not enough space on my Mac internal HD. And, worst of all, I have TWC, so copy protection.

A 4 TB HD is the maximum out of the box upgrade? What's currently the best HD for this purpose?

Can someone please give me step by step instructions (or a link if I missed it from elsewhere) how to install a new HD?

And how to transfer recordings from the HD on my Roamio, given my Mac and TWC constraints?

Many thanks!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    3TB is the max you can upgrade to without having to hook the drive to a computer.

There is a program called KMTTG, it will allow you to transfer/copy/download recorded shows to a PC (I say PC because it stands for Personal Computer, not that it runs on Windows.) You can highlight many shows, but the Tivo will only allow 1 show to download at a time, so it will do that in sequence.

If shows are copy protected, there is no way to get them downloaded. You may be able to get them to watch via Netflix, amazon, etc.

Copying shows off is the first thing to do (as long as the Tivo still works and running.)
    Swapping the drive is simple, just some screws which are Torx heads (T8, T10, T15 sizes.)

3. irisr

irisr Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Thanks! But I thought MFS tools allows 4 TB formatting and copying, even with TWC on a Mac?

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, but it means to take the drive out of the Tivo and connect to the computer.

The 3TB is the limit on upgrading Roamio Without any computer.

Digital Man likes this.
  5. irisr

irisr Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Thanks. So there's no way for me to upgrade my HD without losing all of my recordings?!

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You should be able to use MFSTools 3.2 to copy and expand to a 4TB drive with a Roamio. I'd recommend checking out this thread and posting there for any details.

MFS Tools 3.2

Scott

8. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    If you are trying to get your old series 2 recordings to your Roamio Pro (which has a 3TB HD) and the recordings are copy protected courtesy of TWC you are out of luck as this cannot be done.
    If you have recordings already on the Roamio Pro and want to upgrade to the HD to 4TB, you can use MFS Tools 3.2 as previously suggested.
    If you want to choose a HD for the Pro, the WD Red line of drives, not the Red Pro, seem to be the current favorite.