help for a confused newbie

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by FrankMad, Jan 16, 2006.

1. FrankMad

FrankMad frank

Jan 4, 2006
    soCal
    hey guys, first let me say this is a great site, and I've spent the last 3 days going through many threads.

2 weeks ago I helped my folks buy a 2nd "tivo" and samsung LCD for their bedroom, which later turned out the R-15 (yuck). :thumbsdown:
    So I ordered an R10 from weaknees yesterday and will return the R-15 this week.

my problem is that after seeing that the R-15 is the new format for D*

I'm afraid that my 3+ yr old DSR-6000, is on it's way out and I'll get stuck with the R-15..
    If I don't jump on an R10 or DVR80 from V.E. this week
    ( we also have a DVR40 in our bedroom, which works tons faster compared to the old DSR6000,
    which has slowed down a lot lately, even at less than 1/2 full on HDD)

both of my Dtivo's are bone-stock
    the DVR40 runs at 38C on SW ver. 6.2.xxx
    the 6000 is running at 52C on SW ver. 3.1.xxxx and has plenty of room for cooling

so I have 3 questions I'd like advice on.

1. should I pick the DVR80 or R-10?...(it seems that the DVR80 has more "upgradeability than the R-10)

2. I'm also planning on picking up a Panasonic ES20 tonight from BB
    to archive all the stuff on the DSR-6000 that I don't want to lose forever..mostly news clips, not HBO..etc
    is that DVD-Rec ready to go out of the box or will I need to hack it?

and
    3. should I just forget all this and calm down and sit tight with my current equipment? :D

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    1) If you have any intentions of hacking... then the DVR80
    2) You hook up DVD Recording just like a CR... So yes, you will be able to archive to DVD
    3) That is your personal choice...

3. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    If you haven't done it lately, restart the DSR6000. It might help your speed problem. My Mom bought the Panasonic ES50 or something like that. The Diga chip that they use can actually make the recording look better than the source at times. I didn't believe it until I saw it.

4. FrankMad

FrankMad frank

Jan 4, 2006
    soCal
    yep, rebooting does nothing

I'm a long-time premier cust, so I'm on the phone with D* Retention
    trying to get a better deal than $399 after rebate on a HR10-250

no dice so far, especially, since I told them,
    I just want to use it as a 250HR SD Dtivo..but I'm still on hold (crossed fingers) ;)

:( meh!, best I could get was $399 after $200 rebate
    +$49 install
    +$14.95 shipping
    =$462.95
    -$10 mo x6 months=-$60
    -$100 addtional REBATE on activation
    total $302.95 for an HR10-250, but $662 upfront :thumbsdown:

and if/when they switch to Mpeg4 a new reciever will run $99, BUT a new HD DVR will be around $300 :eek:

looks like I'll get a new DVR80 and a panasonic DVD recorder tomorrow