1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: Dying device/noise concern

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by SzDoc, Oct 10, 2018.

1. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member TCF Club

Jul 7, 2008
    My venerable series 4 is dying. It's been pixelating/hanging/rebooting about weekly for a few months. But, today it's stuck on the "starting up" screen. I suspect the HD is near death.

I need a new device. But, I'm pathologically noise sensitive, and the device is in the bedroom. My prior series 3 I had hacked with a quiet fan. The series 4 (XL) has been reasonably quiet.

So...how does the base fan noise of the Roamio compare to the Premiere? And, of the two devices, is one clearly more reliable?

I will need to do something soon. Any advices would be appreciated.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Most likely, it is the hard drive going bad and its readily replaced. You would need an image since the old drive image may not be usable/salvageable.

3. SzDoc

Jul 7, 2008
    That was sort of my hypothesis. I am in communication with Weakness about a replacement HD.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can do it yourself and cheaper. Just get a WD Red drive (up to 8TB) and an image from @ggieseke, expand with MFSTools 3.2.

5. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    If money isn't a concern and noise is, maybe consider using an SSD.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The fans in my three basic Roamio units are silent. My basic Premiere is almost silent.

7. SzDoc

Jul 7, 2008
    Thanks to all who responded. Working on it...
    May try the Gelid fan. Remains to be seen.

8. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Totally

May 8, 2006
    HDs are typically the noisiest part in TiVos. Fans are quiet unless going bad. Do your research on a quiet HD that is quiet and works in a TiVo.

9. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Totally

May 8, 2006
    And remember the HD is always on and writing in a TiVo.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Ditto for my Roamio basic. Even on rare occasions when my ears are within a foot or so of it I hear nothing.

11. SzDoc

Jul 7, 2008
    Noted. Thanks.

FWIW: Device won't "kickstart" either.

12. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It's interesting, since so many SMR drives out there now, and so many different "types" of drives I've done a bit of reading. In a NAS group one person says it is not good to use a NAS drive as a standalone drive for any purpose. Because NAS firmware assumes there are other drives available so will "give up" earlier on a tough read or write. No idea if that is true but kind of makes sense. I miss the "old days" of hard drives, everything was PMR, maybe a regular drive and an enterprise type drive, that was it. Now PMR/SMR, desktop, archive, NAS, video etc etc.

13. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Well if your S4 is a two tuner model and you don't want to try to replace the drive yourself with image it might be cheaper to just buy another S4. Can get them used with lifetime for $150-200. Bit more for 4 tuner models and/or larger drives. Not sure what they charge for a drive replacement but I doubt it is cheap, even for an S4 drive. Of course buying used does include the chance that the drive in THAT one may be old................