Help!! DTivo overheated!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by BK89, Jul 23, 2006.

1. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Well it was scorching hot yesterday, was watching the ball game and all of the sudden the Tivo cuts out. It was really hot to the touch. I unplugged and let it cool down but now when I pulg it back in I get nothing. No loading screen - the red light on the front doesn't even turn on? Am I screwed, what happened?

2. shanew1289

shanew1289 New Member

May 6, 2004
    edwardsville...
    fuse on power supply maybe? Did you try and unplug HD in case its shorting a supply line?

3. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Just tried with the HD unplugged, no difference. Still don't get the light to turn on. Where is the PS fuse? Doesn't look like anyhting on the PS is replaceable. Can you buy replacement powersupplies? There is a slightly audible clicking noise when I plug it in, sounds like its from the PS - it's not like a hard drive click but sounds more like an electric clicking, if that makes any sense.

4. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Weaknees sells tivo power supplies for about $50.

5. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Google 'tivo fuse' for some useful info

FYI there are factory refurbished second generation Hughes DIRECTV TiVo SD-DVR40 on ebay for around $50

6. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Well, took a look at the fuse but I guess it was OK. Had to cut the black boot. I have never done any soldering so I figured I would just order a new PS. FYI, if anyone needs one, 9th Tee has them for $35 instead of $50 at weaknees.

7. Sep 2, 2006 #7 of 10
    camronfry6

camronfry6 New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    My Philips Tivo Series 1 continues to go back and forth between working and not working due to getting the "blue your tivo is too hot and needs to shut down" screen.

Again, the tivo is NOT actually too hot, and the fan is working fine.

First, Would buying and installing a new power supply solve this problem?

Second, I think I saw 9th tee has new power supplies for around $25. What is the installation process like for this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

8. Sep 3, 2006 #8 of 10
    tharaw

tharaw New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    HELP HELP NEW USER would some one direct me
    I HAVE A RCA DVR 40 I PICKED UP OFF OF CRAIGSLIST I DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO "DTV"
    I WAS WANTING TO USE IT AS A DVR ONLY WITH ANALOG ANT CAN SOME ONE HELP
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

9. Sep 3, 2006 #9 of 10
    ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    You can't use an RCA DVR40 with an analog source. It only works with DirecTV service

10. PortlandPaw

PortlandPaw Woodstock-era Hacker

Jan 11, 2004
    Chebeague...
    Kind of like the same answer when you posted the exact same cut 'n pasted message on another thread. Wanna try again?