Help - Distorted Picture from Series 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Yellowtoes, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Yellowtoes

Yellowtoes New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    TX

Advertisements

Recently, video coming through my Tivo Series 2 (live or pre-recorded) has quite a bit of distortion. Sort of a "tearing" which actively moves around (sort of like when you had a dirty playhead on an old VCR). If I pause what I'm watching, the interference does NOT freeze, but continues to move around. The problem is the same whether I use the S-video out or the coax out.

Signals appear to be coming through the cable box (before getting to the Tivo) clean, so the problem is clearly inside the Tivo. My question is what would be doing this? The tuner? Electronic interference? Other? Any suggestions will be hugely appreciated!

2. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    <red> what does that mean?

3. Yellowtoes

Yellowtoes New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    TX
    I guess my comment WAS kind of cryptic.:eek: What I meant is that if I connect my cable box directly to the television without passing through the Tivo, the signal is absolutely clear and has no interference.

Like I said, even when I freeze a picture on the Tivo the interference/distortion remains actively moving. Now I'm wondering if it could actually be the read head (if there is such a thing) on the hard drive.

4. Yellowtoes

Yellowtoes New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    TX
    This might be a useful piece of info: I get the same distortion (streaky lines) when looking at the Tivo home screen or any menu choices. If that resides in the Tivo's RAM rather than on a hard drive, then it's not a hard drive problem - but rather a problem in whatever handles the transfer of video information to the outside world (and as I say, it doesn't matter what output I'm using - the messed up signal is on all of them).

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

I would check the cables, if they are loose, or for corrosion.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  6. Yellowtoes

Yellowtoes New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    TX
    I appreciate the thought on the cables, but I checked them all quite awhile ago. The fact that this streaking/interference shows while in pause or on the Tivo menu screens, and is the same whether using coax out or s-video out, indicates to me that it's something electronic in the Tivo box itself. But what?:(

7. leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    Vero Beach
    PSU caps?

8. Yellowtoes

Yellowtoes New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    TX
    I'll admit that I have no idea what "PSU caps" are. I even googled it, and was shown hats for sports teams.:)

9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Does the error repeat itself exactly if you rewind, or does it change?

You stated you reviewed cables "quite a while ago", but the issue is new. So, I would still check the cables in case their problem is new.

10. Yellowtoes

Yellowtoes New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    TX
    jrtroo- If I rewind, the error stays the same. Which is to say it remains active and moving in exactly the same way whether going forward, backward, or in pause. Whatever I'm seeing is NOT actually recorded on the hard drive. And when I said I checked the cables "a while ago," I only meant that was one of the first (and second) things I did when this problem developed. I even substituted different cables. So I'm increasingly confident that the streaking/interference is being introduced electronically inside the Tivo, at some point before it would be distributed to the outputs (since the problem is visible no matter what output source I use). Thanks for helping me chew on this puzzler!

11. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    If you pull the file to a PC, does the error remain?

12. Yellowtoes

Yellowtoes New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    TX
    jrtroo- An interesting test! No, when I download the file via wifi, the picture doesn't have the distortion (the same show DOES when viewed from the Tivo to TV).

13. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Tivo power supply capacitors.
    Look up capacitor plague.

14. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What is the specific model number of your S2?

It should be on the sticker on the back just above where the power cord plugs in.

(if it's a TiVo brand TiVo, it'll start with TCD)

15. Yellowtoes

Yellowtoes New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    TX
    The model number is 240080. I haven't looked inside, but that "capacitor plague" theory is sounding pretty good.

Thanks for your interest and help!