Help. Content lost on SD DirecTV Tivo.

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by pbucci5261, Aug 21, 2006.

1. pbucci5261

pbucci5261 New Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Vicksburg, MS
    I upgraded a Hughes SD-DVR40 with the Weaknees 160 GB upgrade. It worked great. Then, I upgraded my DirecTV service and began using a HD Tivo for primary viewing. I kept the disabled SD unit around because of 30 or so movies that had been recorded. Once every couple months, I would view a movie off of the SD unit. This past weekend, I looked at the menu of the SD Tivo, and all but 5 movies are gone. It has been just under a year since the install of the HD DirecTV Tivo. Of course, the SD unit was decommissioned at that time. However, as mentioned before, I would use it to view the volume of movies that I had recorded on the SD unit.

Any ideas why the content of a Tivo not connected to any satellite or anything would disappear? I have taken the unit apart yet to see if the Weaknees add-on disc is still working or not. I am not sure if that would be the answer or not. I wanted to get some feedback here first.

Thanks for any information or advice.

2. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    No idea -- I've left stuff lying around on an unconnected DTivo for a long, long time and never seen anything wiped. If the drive was failing, I would expect reboots or crashes but I wouldn't expect content to just disappear.

3. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Perhaps you had the Tivo sitting on an angle and the programs just slid off the drive platter. :eek:

Seriously, I've never heard of data disappearing from a drive that's been sitting dormant for an extended period. Are you certain that someone didn't delete the shows prior to the unit being decommissioned?

You could always hack the drive and install TivoWebPlus. You can use TWP to check the deleted programs folder and recover any shows that were deleted.

4. pbucci5261

pbucci5261 New Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Vicksburg, MS
    Thanks for the feedback. Any links or info on how to hack drive with TivoWebPlus? That sounds like a solution -- going to the deleted items folder (if content is there) and recovering.

By the way, when the unit was decommissioned by the DirecTV HD installers, they did not remove anything. So, it was something that happened while it was sitting idle.

5. pbucci5261

pbucci5261 New Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Vicksburg, MS
    I have located the TWP home page and faqs.........

6. SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    You'll have to hack your unit. Look for the very large Zipper thread here in the Underground to get it hacked. The Zipper will install TWP and many other great things!