Help connecting to server thru network, please?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mrskay9, Sep 22, 2007.

1. mrskay9

mrskay9 New Member

Feb 6, 2007

Advertisements

My knowledge is on the novice/low level.
    I've been searching and reading all day with no progress. So I'm hoping a kind soul can point me in the right direction.

I have a tivo series 2. One of the tivo adapters. A computer running Vista, a linksys router WRT54G.
    I can transfer movies to the tivo desktop and that part of it seems ok.

My problem is that since I lost my dial up number to get programming info, I paid about $20 this month in calls. I'd like to do it thru the network. But when I tell Tivo to do that, it says N13, Can't connect to server.

Also, not sure if this is part of it, but thought I'd mention it. When I'm in tivo desktop, and click Server at the top, it says The specified Service does not exist as an installed service.

My signal seems fine between the tivo and the computer, but getting elsewhere...

I'm in the middle of no where and only have dial up--

thanks for any input/direction/help I can get.

2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
  3. mrskay9

mrskay9 New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Yes, I've never been able to connect and have been having this problem for a few weeks now, so I will go read the general tips.

Thanks for the reply. I'll read those and check back.

thanks

4. clem2270

clem2270 New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Washington...
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by:" I lost my dial up number " for programming info, nor is it clear about the part on paying $20 in calls this month.

Sounds like your TiVo somehow is no longer able to dial to TiVo via the local access number?

But now you would like to have the weekly updates via your "network" connection.

But you mention that your "network" is dialup based.

As far as I am aware (and I am far from being a TiVo expert), there is no way for your TiVo to receive updates from your computers dialup Internet connection (via Internet connection sharing). The TiVo is setup for this natively.

In order to get programming guide updates via a Network connection, you would need to have some kind of broadband connection, that connects to your router's uplink port, and your computer's and TiVo's connect to the available switch ports, this is so the Router assign's all clients DHCP / DNS info for your always on Internet connection.

I would think that you could perform a new guided setup and re-assign the zip code for your home, so the TiVo could find a valid Tivo dial-up number.

5. mrskay9

mrskay9 New Member

Feb 6, 2007

Advertisements

Tivo has an IP address and a MAC address

but when I test it says preparing complete, then it will go to negotiating, then stop and say "Server not Found"

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I believe clem2270 is right.
    Tivo needs to have a high speed connection in order to update through the network.
    Dial up internet connection will not work.

7. clem2270

clem2270 New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Washington...

the IP address would be assigned from your router, the MAC address is tied to the TiVo device / Network interface when it is manufactured, it does not denote a "live" network connection.

Could you explain the part of your original post where you state that you "lost your dialup" number for TiVo programming updates? How did you lose the dialup number?

If this is the only problem, you should only have to go through the guided setup again, to reset your location, and the TiVo will be able to find the nearest TiVo access number.

Trying to use Internet connection sharing through your Windows Vista computer is not going to work with TiVo. To use a network connection for Programming updates you need a broadband/HSI access with a modem that has an ethernet interface, so that it can connect to your router and internal home network.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  9. mrskay9

mrskay9 New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Yeah that Steve. Thanks.

Sorry, I was told on another thread I could update thru the network with dial up so I had been trying that. I guess not.

Thanks anyway, everyone.