Help! Channels Won't Go Away

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Emacee, May 11, 2008.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

This is strange. I have tried to remove (uncheck) channels from the "Channels You Receive" list (and from the on-screen program guide). I uncheck them and they keep coming back. I see these channels still in the program guide and I go back to the channel list and the channels I unchecked are checked again.

These are channels I do receive. I just have no interest in them and I don't want to have to scroll through them when I scan the program guide.

Anybody have any idea what's going on and what I can do about it?

I have tried unchecking several times. I have re-booted the Tivo and tried again. No luck.

Thanks.

2. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    This was a problem a few revs ago. I wonder if it is back? I could have swore I've recently unchecked a couple channels myself that are back again. When survivor is over, I'll have to check it out. ;)

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes this and a couple of other old bugs (related to OTA + cable lineup) have crept back into this release - I guess Tivo doesn't learn from past mistakes... I too have channels coming back that I took out of the lineup and I have season passes the To Do List claims will record on OTA channels even though those are already out of my lineup, but they do end up recording on the cable channel. Annoying, but I guess I'll consider myself lucky compared to the people having the freezing problems.

4. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Problem is definately back. I've unchecked these Starz channels a few times now I'm sure and there they are again.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

they are probably merging the S3 and TiVo HD branch codes as they get them all on the same code base/revision finally.

Sounds like you came across something that was missed out on in the merge

6. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I'm having the issue as well with OTA channels. I have about 6 times as many OTA channels in my guide than I actually receive. It shows all the channels from the 5 surrounding states... I just reset up my S3 as I have come home form College, and since I set it up a couple of days ago I thought I had been going nuts, as I could have sworn I had unchecked all those extra channels a few times but they keep coming back.

I guess I now know what the issue is=) I guess I'll have to deal with it for now.

In addition to the fun of having all the extra channels. I'm missing a few form the guide. I'm surprised since all the channels from the other states show up in the guide, that PBS from New Hampshire, wish I'm just south of the boarder of does not show up in my guide listing. That channel comes in with the best quality and highest signal strength of all the channels I get, but I'm stuck with To Be Announced in the guide listing as I could only get this channel by typing in the channel number, or adding it by doing an antenna scan. I send in a support request hopping to get this channel added.

7. RAlfieri

RAlfieri New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Whew! I thought I was losing my mind there. Glad y'all mentioned this. I have been unchecking the non-HD channels from my lineup because I want to ensure I only record from the HD channel numbers. Yet, the non-HD channels keep re-selecting themselves!

I'm on a Series 3 HD with the latest updates. I hope they fix this soon!

Cheers,
    Rob

8. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    It sounds like TiVo is taking its lead from Microsoft:
    Bloatware
    Bugs
    Delivered late
    Runs slow
    Loaded up with crap you don't want or care about

My old Tivo units never seemed to have problems like this.

9. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    That's the price of progress, sadly.

If you're interested in doing something other than complaining on an internet forum, why not sign up to be a beta tester and help find the bugs before they make it out?

10. steinercat

steinercat New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Same problem for me also. The useless channels I've taken out simply won't die. :)

What I do is use 'Favorite Channels' on Guide instead.

11. hddude55

hddude55 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Neato. We could eliminate much of the field of contract law if we could sell consumers on this cool notion that they should accept the fact products are buggy and fixing them is partially the consumer's duty.

12. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    And the world would be a much better place if people would step up and do something to fix what bothers them, rather than just bemoan the fact that woe is them. :rolleyes:

13. spaceboytom

spaceboytom Tivo Since 2001

Jan 8, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Same problem here, my changes stick for only a short time and then the channels come back.

SBT

TivoHD
    9.3a-01-2-652

14. barrettd

barrettd Boomer Sooner

Jun 14, 2003
    Oklahoma...
    I've tried this, and they re-select themselves as Favorite Channels. This is extremely annoying, but I'm glad I'm not alone.

15. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I've had this problem since day one on my S3.

TiVo seems to think I can get multiple instances of channel 4 (just an example).
    One from Salt Lake City, one from Idaho Falls Idaho, and yet another from Grand Junction Colorado.
    One is an ABC affiliate, one a CBS affiliate and the other a NBC affiliate.
    (basing this on memory, might be different network affiliations)

I remove the Idaho and Colorado stations from channels I receive as well as favorites.
    The only one I can actually receive with a rooftop antenna, the ABC affiliate in Salt Lake remains in CIR and is a favorite.

The incorrect stations remain off my list until the TiVo tunes to channel 4 to record something from ABC, then BAM, the Idaho and Colorado stations are back.

This is repeated for channels 2, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13, with two other channels each, each with a different network affiliation.
    I even get a couple channel 3's, which have never existed in Salt Lake City.
    I can't even remember how many UHF channels TiVo thinks I can get.

Throw in the HD versions of each channel, and I get a huge guide list for a TiVo only connected to an antenna.

I've submitted the correct lineup to TiVo, but nothing has happened.

phox

16. itcrashed

itcrashed New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Dublin, CA
    ugh im experiencing this problem too. i just spent an hour last night figuring out all the channels i wanted listed and removing them from the channel list...and they're back today! ugh!

17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    <aol>Me too.</aol>

In my case, some bogus lineup changes from TiVo got the box to where I couldn't scroll up past 801, or down past 699, in the guide, or in the channel list in the settings menu. To get rid of this effect, I re-ran guided setup. (I'd just done that for my Series 2 when switching from the analog Fios lineup to the digital, and I noticed it didn't have the 699/801 problem.)

That worked, but of course it brought in all the channels I'd previously deselected... and now I couldn't get rid of them. Deselect, exit the menu, BAM, they were back. Eventually I found that I could sometimes make the changes stick by rebooting -- even though the channels I'd just deselected showed as selected, they became deselected after reboot. But I couldn't nail down exactly what it took to make this work.

Finally, I did get everything the way I wanted it, and for the most part it's stayed that way. (All the channels in the 500's have stayed off, for example.) But a few channels came back again later. Two of these were bogus duplicates of other channels, such that I have two channels 14 cbl, and two 92 cbl. Previously, I'd been unable to deselect only the bogus channel from each pair; now, I can, but apparently the change can still come undone later. The other two that came back were HBO Latino East and West... I have no idea what makes them special, except I guess they were the only two premiums that I deselected (that I had a subscription for).

18. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I'm going to add my name to the list of people having this problem with their S3. My company had been complaining of me having so many channels, many of them not working. I tried deleting the ones I don't received anymore only to have them come back within moments. Hopefully a fix is at hand.

19. Garak

Garak New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Sigh, put me down as well for this one. Happens all the time, though it was bad enough today that I went searching for a thread--it added back *every* channel. I can't even imagine how this could be happening. If changes aren't being written to disk in real time, is some thread somewhere crashing before it gets the chance?

Yeah, really. I'm growing increasingly frustrated with my new TiVo HD. TiVo's putting these boxes out with some pretty ridiculous bugs. All the ads work great, though.

20. TheGreenHornet

TheGreenHornet Don

Oct 31, 2007
    Jeffersonvil...
    I have the same problem that crops up every now and then. When I cut the cable and went only OTA I had exed out the cable channels and the OTA analog leaving the digital channel counterpart. Well, a few analogs channels would somehow put themselves back into the channel guide.

I thought it was happening when I would scan up and down on the channel control on the nifty Tivo remote. Or, I thought it was when I hit 2-9 for Fox 29 in Philly and it would mean the Tivo tunes to analog Fox 29. Boom! There is analog 29 with digital 29 in the guide.

It is my personal opinion and also a friend who bought a series 3 that the Tivo box has a mind of it's own and does what it damn well pleases when it pleases.

I have not tried to reboot the Tivo after clearing out the analog channels to see if that fixes the small quirky problem. The upside to this that the cable channels in the list do not reappear and remind me that I once had Comcast terrible service.