Help - Camcorders and Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by aherron, Oct 27, 2007.

1. aherron

aherron New Member

Oct 26, 2007

Advertisements

I need help I am new to the whole Tivo world. I coach gymnastics and want to use Tivo with a camcorder so that my gymnasts can review their skills immediately in the gym...immediate video feedback.

I have 3 tivo units. They are all tivo series 2 dvr's. The first one I purchased used so it had been connected to Tivo service. I hooked the camcorder up to it through the video in and an rf out cable to the tv. Everything works fine, we have been using it in the gym and the kids love it.

The second 2 units I purchased brand new and no matter what I do or how I hook them up I can't get them to recognize the video input. What am I doing wrong? is there a way around this trouble? Do I need to activate the service to get the video input to work and then can I disconnect the service and it keep working? I do not need to use the tivo for watching TV just in the gym for watching gymnastics skills with the delay and slow motion features.

What is my best solution, try activating and go from there or is there a way I can copy the settings and system software from the one that is working onto the two new units? Any help would be appreciated, we love the system in the gym but want it at every event not just one area of the gym.

Thanks to all who respond.

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It sounds like maybe the used box you purchased (the first one) had Lifetime service on it?

The boxes won't do anything without a subscription, that's probably why you can't record from the inputs on the other two.

Go into the System Information screen (on the first box) and see what the Service Level is.

Also, what models are these?

3. aherron

aherron New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    They are all series 2 tivo units and the one that works does not have a lifetime service. Is there a way to copy the system program off the one unit and put it on the other units?

4. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Wouldn't this all be easier without the Tivo? Get a hard-drive based camcorder and directly hook that to the TV. It will be just as good with random access.

5. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003

Advertisements

The OP has signed on under at least two different names previously with the exact same question(s). He was booted off for posting the same question on multiple threads.

IIRC he's gotten all of the info he needed...repeatedly (including from me). :confused:

6. rjnord98

rjnord98 New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Listen, you may think a camcorder works just great, but that is why you are the TIVO community member, and we are coaches.

Instead of posting a new topic, I have the same question. I have 10 girls that I coach, and stopping to record, rewind and play, give feedback and move on is not feasible.

I want to set it up on a delay, tell the girls what they did wrong, and say "go look at what you did"

My situation is that I bought a Series 1 Phillips off of Ebay, and found out after the fact that they Cleared and Deleted it.

I am connecting it now via the phone and it's working, and want to know how I will set it up to accept the feed from the camcorder, thru the TIVO, and into the TV.

Will I need to call Customer Service to get them to reset something since the previous owner cleared and deleted it?

This would be a great tool for our team, with over 50 girls and 20 boys, but I need to get this running.

THANKS FOR ALL HELP IN ADVANCE!

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, you need to call CS to have them reset the "can record" flag. You can then do guided setup for cable or satellite box.