Help! Bolt only gets one HD channel + Showtime HD all other only SD via cable company!

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by MiamiNYC10011, Mar 16, 2021.

1. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021

Advertisements

Posted in the help section but wondering if anyone here has any ideas as this has been an ongoing saga for nearly 2 weeks, with 6 technicians and about 20 higher ups from the cable company working on it :(

Bought a TCD8495000 to get rid of the cable co (Atlantic) rented boxes; but have had a ton of trouble - the SIXTH technician just left - they cannot get the HD channels on the Bolt (or on a second bolt I got that was meant for my neighbor that we used to test.) All their own rental boxes they tested work perfectly, as did the T6 I had been renting. Mini Vox works fine as does my Nighthawk with Moca adapter. Setup is full Moca

ONE HD channel and Showtime HD works. No other HD channels come in, they all say searching for signal error V52. We tried two cable cards, two Bolts, they replaced the Moca splitters, ends of the coax, reset boxes to default, and finally an amplifier - everything. The signal for the non working channels WITH the amp still shows as dash - and is a little low for the working signals. The signal tested is strong for their boxes and HD comes in fine on those. Both of my Bolts have the same issue so it's not the equipment.

I called Tivo and had them check everything they could and he said all looked good just seemed like signal was weak (thanks lol)

Any other ideas on what it could be? The tech took my box to bring to the office for troubleshooting and left me one of their boxes, they were totally out of ideas!

2. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    could it be as simple as checking your channel list to see if all these channels are checked? you could also hit a button to view "my channels' "all channels" or "channels i receive". if you get techs bringing your box out of the house i would definitely check this. i am using te3 so my recollection of te4 and its guide issues is hazy

3. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Did that the first day - everything is checked and all channels set to show :( The guide itself shows perfectly. Reset the boxes, did the full setup again, just to make sure and nothing. Just keeps giving V52 searching for signal except for those 2 that work. Putting an amp on and getting ZERO improvement is even more strange. The second they put their own box on, all is fine.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  5. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021

Advertisements

Ahh - never seen anything like this so guessing no, unless I'm missing something. I noticed it says there is no on demand via the cable co with card use, which is correct - we lost that when we switched over to our units - does that mean there is a TA somewhere or is that also just a feature loss across the board with owned boxes and cable?

Also I don't see any blank screens - just the V52 searching for signal message and the guide along the bottom

I'm going to email that page to my contact who has been helping me & to the tech. I wonder how none of these people suggested this? (This is assuming that ABB uses them.)

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, probably because ABB doesn’t use SDV. You’d have needed tuning adapters for your leased TiVo’s were they doing SDV.

7. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Sigh, thought this might be it! I cannot believe SIX techs (3 higher tier) have been here for a total of about 5 hours and no one has any clue what to do. The fact that the amp made zero difference just makes this even more strange.

This is what I see in the tuning adapter menu in settings

IMG_6584.jpg

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    So what is the signal strength now with the working channels?

(Even if your cable company required q tuning adapter it wouldn't be for 99% or the channels and you wouldn't get the message your are getting V-52)

9. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Now we have their unit b/c they have our Bolt in for testing - signal is 100% using their box

The Bolt working channels is 72% ish for the working channels and the - (dash) for the non working channels. When he added the amp yesterday there was zero change. I still can't figure out how 2 hd channels are working - wouldn't it be all or nothing normally?

I texted the last tech the photo above just to be sure it's not that.

10. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I guess asking for signal strength on the channels you receive as compared to the channels you dont wont work seeing as you dont have your Tivo. I was missing channels and getting v52 error and all I did was wiggle my coax cable and some channels returned. Obviously I had wiring issues. You are not seeing "this channel is not authorized", therefore I say it may be a signal issue maybe right where service enters the house. How many Boxes? Are all not working?

11. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    When I checked signal on the Bolt before they took it it was the - dash for non working and 72% ish for working channels. Same thing after they put the amp on.

No not authorized message. Only V52 searching for signal on HD channels except all Showtime HD channels work and one other (824 for us, HD channels are mostly 800 and up) works fine in HD. All SD channels are fine.

One Bolt, one Mini Vox. They checked all cables, splitters, connectors (think they checked the building/outside too.) The fact that every one of their boxes works perfectly (100% signal) and both of my Bolts (have an extra one we were just using to test also) have these issues, is so puzzling. If it's not the coding, not cabling, not signal strength - what else could it be?

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Has anyone compared the actual frequencies being tuned for each channel between your retail TiVo and their boxes? (It isn't impossible that the boxes would be served different guide data and your's somehow has the wrong channel/frequency associations.)

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    As I said earlier, 72 signal strength is too low. It's good they took the TiVo to test somewhere else. My cable company did that when I had a problem and it proved my Bolt was fine as it worked perfectly at their office. They also tested it outside my home where the cable came in (and was still bad). My problem was an issue with the cable company's SDV node, but that wouldn't be your problem.

14. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    I'm hoping that's what they will determine, but then it would mean it's something outside and/or with the full setup - I guess it wouldn't hurt for them to rewire (it's been a really long time since that was all put in.) They are supposed to bring it back to day, waiting for a call.

What I'm still not understanding is the box difference - is it just that the newer version / models require different frequencies or something else? Would it be likely that ANY box I bought would do this if nothing else changed on my end? If it's just the Bolt model - I could always get a Romaio, but it seems sort of ridiculous to do that.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A long shot, but still something to check.

16. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    I can do that as I have their box plus my backup bolt here now - what #'s am I looking for and where?

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This describes the *potential* issue ...
    This post relates to OTA, but the same issue could exist for a cable lineup.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I’m not entirely sure, as I have no access to a CableCARD’d TiVo, but our OTA TiVo running TE3 reports the tuned frequency in the 'Diagnostics' dialog under the Account & System Info page.

You could set each tuner to a different channel then scroll through the Diagnostics pages to document each channel's associated frequency ... and then compare that between boxes, for both Showtime HD & a few of your non-working channels.

frequency check.jpg

KMTTG allows for an export of channel numbers and their callsigns, but I'm not aware of a utility that allows for a simple export of the guide data that also includes the frequencies to be tuned for each channel.

19. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    They clearly need to deal with the signal strength as number one priority. I am rather surprised that the amp apparently had no effect in increasing the signal strength.

20. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Me too - question, he put it inside where the dvr is, which isn't where the cable comes into the apt (it comes in from a ceiling in the living room, splits off to the moca adapter and modem, continues along to the mini in that room, then splits off again through the wall to the bedroom where the dvr is. Should he have put it where the cable comes in or does placement not matter?

Signal is now 100% on their box, just checked again

Haven't heard a peep from them all day nor a reply from the tech who took the box - im hoping this means they are working on it but doesnt sound promising. Will check out and compare frequencies later should they not show up / have a solution by tomorrow.

All the similar issues I am finding googling seem to be relate to signal strength so I'm really surprised that amp did nothing.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021