Help - Any Altice Optimum customers here with a working tuning adapter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RickNY, Apr 22, 2020.

1. RickNY

RickNY Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Hi everyone.. Im running a Roamio Plus with software version 21.9.7.v3-848-6-848 along with 4 Tivo Minis here and a single Samsung cable box on Altice Optimum (formerly Cablevision). I've been running a Tivo and CableCard since 2007, and previously used the tuning adapter from 2009-2012 but eventually no longer needed it.

Over the past few weeks, my system (Brookhaven) has migrated a huge chunk of SD channels over to SDV, and this past weekend that included many of our premium channels that do not have HD versions (Within Starz and Showtime). There are also some SD-only channels that we do watch that we can no longer receive since this past weekend. Yesterday, I picked up a tuning adapter from the Hauppauge Optimum store, and while it syncs up with a solid green light and the Tivo sees it - any attempts to tune any of the SDV channels fail with a D256 Channel Temporarily Unavailable message.

My thoughts are that the adapter is not provisioned correctly or it is missing some configuration info. I know Cablevision ran these boxes in DOCSIS DSG mode as opposed to DAVIC mode - so some of the troubleshooting info available doesnt directly apply here. I was hoping if there was someone here that is on Optimum (preferably with an NDS CableCard) with a tuning adapter that is working that could go over some of their diagnostic screens with me. Also - if you recently added a tuning adapter and were successful in getting it working - that would be helpful too.

Thanks,
    Rick

2. lemur21

lemur21 Member

Aug 24, 2008

Rick ...

I'm in Hauppauge, I didn't realize there was a migration (was it published, anywhere?) Optimum doesn't even realize it -- they're sending a tech out to my home to "troubleshoot" the issue.

So, it's intentional ... and, yeah, what happens to those premium channels without HD (although, I do have one SD Samsung box as well -- and -- that still gets those channels ... peculiar).

Please let me know if you figure anything out ... it may be time to go for a broken Firestick :/

(if there's a way to message here, I'll shoot you my email address). Hopefully, we'll see if other Long Islanders are having a similar problem (or, if they've come up with a work-around).

3. RickNY

RickNY Member

Sep 16, 2007
    I really had no other choice but to file an FCC complaint.. I called a few more times - still -- nobody that answered the phone had any idea what the tuner adapter was. The only one that knew exactly what it was was the lovely woman at the Hauppauge walk-in that was at the counter when I asked for one -- she had been with them for a long time.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's Conversation when you click on a person's name.

lemur21 likes this.
  5. GolfDude

GolfDude New Member

Jan 5, 2016
    when i had a tech here a month ago, the tech said they were doing work in the background and older tuning adapters appeared to have stopped working b/c of the background changes taking place and the solution was just getting a new one, which he gave me, and that people with TA's should call and request a new one to replace an old one.. havent had any issues since he gave me the new adapter.. the d256 error on the sd channels however seems new.. i never used the sd channel range so i dont know how long itwas like that..

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  6. RickNY

RickNY Member

Sep 16, 2007
    So, I've been through two so far that haven't worked. What system are you on, and are you getting the D256 error on any of the SD channels?

7. RickNY

RickNY Member

Sep 16, 2007
    OK, so good news. Today, the TA just started working and I can access all of the channels. I don't know if the FCC complaint I filed on Wednesday had anything to do with it -- someone from Executive Relations emailed us and said it was important they speak to us - and we were unable to get back to them. I had checked this morning and they werent working.. I checked again around 30 minutes ago, and it was working.

The key differences now in the TA Diagnostic screens were:
    -------
    Previously under "Switched Digital Video" - for "Client" - Authorized: YES, Service Gp: N/A , and it had an RF IP Address. Under "Server" - it just said "Pending"

Now: Service Gp -- says 14265 and "Server" says "Ready" and now there is an IP address and port displayed for Server.
    --------
    Previously under "Mini Carousel Info" -- "Status" was "McpDiscovery" and the only fields that had values were "Cache Misses" and "Load Failures"

Now: "Status" says "CacheReady", Def Freq says 255 Mhz, Tvp/Tv ID says 16, Size is 2192 bytes, Num Entries is 133.
    ---------

Thanks everyone that tried to help!

8. Jun 5, 2020 #8 of 10
    Bilboa

Bilboa New Member

Dec 17, 2018

9. Jun 5, 2020 #9 of 10
    Bilboa

Bilboa New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I am currently having the same issue. I also went to BBB. 2weeks and getting channels not showing HBO and other non HD 300 range channels. Changed cable cards multiple times. Went to store in Parlin and they stated, must be mailed in and they will send you the new equipment. Called today for tuner and they stated, we don’t have them, probably buy it on amazon. Talk about disfunctional.
    Going to store they said I can walk in at Parlin to see if they have one.
    Might have to go to Hauppauge like Ricky.

10. Bilboa

Bilboa New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Piscataway store, not Parlin store....