HELP! After speaking to 11 reps, TWC in NYC still refuses to set up my S3!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bsjd00, Aug 15, 2007.

1. bsjd00

bsjd00 New Member

Sep 3, 2006

Advertisements

I am in a state of shock. After spending almost 2 hours speaking with eleven (11) Time Warner reps in Manhattan, not a single rep would committ to setting up my S3 with cablecards. 9 out of the 11 said that cablecards do not work in Tivo, and 1 said that Tivo is a satellite device that is a competitor of Time Warner. The last rep, sensing my desperation, at least agreed to send a tech out to the apartment, but we all know how that is going to end.

Does anyone have any high-level contacts at Time Warner, or at least a direct number to the department that handles cablecard installations? I tried everything I could think of this morning.

(By the way, the rep that said Tivo is a satellite device that competes with Time Warner is an escalation supervisor)

2. fritolayguy

fritolayguy Science, bitches

Oct 31, 2002
    Liberty, MO.
    Call TIVO and tell them the problem you are having with Time Warner. Some have had the experience of having TIVO call the cable company with you on the phone to answer questions and dispel any myths with the cable company.

3. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Hey bsj - be ready to be annoyed.
    I'm on TWC NYC also.

You should call back TWC NYC and tell them you want a service technician to come to install TWO cable cards.

If they ask if it's a TiVo say yes, but that's all the need to know - they might ask for the model number of the TiVo.

If you are lucky, the service rep they send will already have installed cable cards in a series 3.

When I had mine done last fall - the service guy had already done about a half a dozen units
    - I should mention that I ended up getting a second unit and the second technician didn't have a clue - but the end result of that was his supervisor came 3 hours later and did the installation.

They've done plenty of these going back to last fall
    - a tech guy shouldn't be surprised - even if the customer service reps don't know what you are talking about:

just MAKE SURE customer service has the request that you need TWO cable cards.

4. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Unbelieveable. Aren't cable companies mandated to provide cablecards (or other equipment) for any approved device? Surely TW in Manhattan can't be that far behind the times.

Definately call TiVo and explain it. When the Series 3 first came out, TiVo encouraged users who got pushback from the cable company to call them and let them investigate. I'm sure a TiVo rep can get on the line with them and you and basically let them know that they are supposed to provide the equipment.

Failing everything else, I'd pull a ruse in desparation. Call back later and tell them you need two cablecards. If they ask what they are going in, tell them TVs. Make something up. Get them to your apartment and play dumb. Point the guy to the TiVo (make sure you have the TiVo installation instructions in your hand - and make the installer follow them). If the installer asks, just say you requested 2 cablecards and the issue about what they are going in never came up. Of course, this plan will completely fail if TW has logged your other calls and recorded the fact that you mentioned TiVos.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

I think this is more of an issue of the person on the phone line not knowing what the story is - but the last poster is correct - Have the installation instructions sitting there - but like I said - more than likely the service tech will already know how to do it. You just have to get him there with TWO CABLE CARDS.

6. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004
    There's something fishy going on then. I live in the East Village (TWCNYC), I had my cards installed on Saturday (my second tech visit), and it was no problem. I never got any resistance from any rep I talked to (probably at least four (4) due to confirmations and work order adjustments and changes). It is unclear why then all of these reps would give you the runaround, unless there was some sort of policy change and/or organized cover-up.

You need to call the Tivo Cablecard Helpline, and three-way with Time Warner.

"If you have been dealing with CableCARD problems like I have been, here is the direct number to the TiVo CableCARD support team:

1-866-986-8486"

7. TracerBullet

TracerBullet New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    I was about to post something similar. I live in Brooklyn and have TWC, and I made an appointment to get cablecards installed with no real problems.

8. bsjd00

bsjd00 New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Thanks for all of your replies! This board is invaluable!

I called Tivo at the number above, per your suggestions, and the Tivo rep called Time Warner with me on the line. She reminded them that it is the LAW, enforced by the FCC, that Time Warner has to provide cablecards for the Tivo S3, an approved device.

I have a technician coming out on Tuesday who will, hopefully, be able to set up the cablecards.

Thanks again for everyone's help...

9. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I had the same response from Bright House here in my city. They first told me that they didn't have any cable cards...

I called Tivo, told them of what was going on with my cable provider. The Tivo rep then called Bright House with me on the phone and explained that they are required to provide cable cards for the Tivo, by law... Refer to the FCC mandate thread...

What got my goat was the temperment of the reps contacted at Bright House, extremely rude, to say the least.

I nearly opted to drop the cable service, and go back to DirecTV... In my case, that is still an option, if these ongoing problems are not resolved in a timely manner.

10. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Weird. I got my S3 installed in september 2006, and I wasn't the first one they had done. TWCNYC here too, southern manhattan.

11. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
  12. rbienstock

rbienstock Member

May 8, 2007
    This is totally bizarre becuase I've had TWC install cable cards in my machines three times (I bought three, but not at the same time), and all three times, I simply asked for a tech to come out and install two cable cards, they asked me what my device was, I told them a Tivo Series 3, and got an appointment. The last tech who came out said that he'd done about 25 other installations on Series 3 units and that just one week earlier, at their tech training session, there was a lesson specifically devoted to Tivos so that all their tech would know how to set them up. I could understand getting a bad rep once, or even twice, but 11 times? The mind boggles.

13. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    As others have indicated I would take the time to file a complaint with the local franchise and the FCC.

This stuff has to stop and it's absolutely unaccepteable that outfits like TWC in NYC take joy in lying to and bullying their customers. This is exactly why the FCC legislation was passed.