1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help/Advice Needed

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gearheadgeek, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:10 PM.

1. gearheadgeek

gearheadgeek New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I want to switch from DirecTV to Comcast but want to stay with Tivo. I understand I need a cable card instead of a Comcast DVR. But, I have two TVs. Does that mean I need two Bolts and two monthly fees? Or Will a Bolt and Mini work? I understand that the Mini needs one of the tuners on the Bold and that it is best to use coax. If I understand correctly, I need an MoC at the Mini for a coax connection. Do I need one at the Bolt? Is this over the Comcast coax or separate? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    you need one bolt and one mini. Moca is built in to both units and will use the existing coax cable with the comcast feed.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Adding to @jcthorne’s post, the Mini will only require a tuner from its host DVR (your BOLT) when viewing live TV or watching a program via the Xfinity On Demand for TiVo app. No tuner is required when viewing previously recorded content or any content via the other Internet streaming apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc.).

And, as stated, all BOLTs and Minis have built-in MoCA connectivity; however, a BOLT DVR also has the ability to act as the Ethernet/MoCA bridge device, if the BOLT can be connected via Ethernet to the router’s Ethernet LAN.

So, your BOLT and Mini would not require any MoCA adapters to connect to a MoCA network as client nodes; however, a MoCA adapter may be required to establish your MoCA network, acting as the main MoCA bridge, if (1) your cable gateway lacks MoCA bridging; (2) the BOLT cannot be connected via Ethernet back to the router; (3) you’d rather not use the gateway or BOLT as the MoCA bridge.

You’ll also need to make sure that Comcast installs a “PoE” MoCA filter to keep your MoCA signals secured. (more info here)

Of course, MoCA wouldn’t be needed at all if both TiVo devices can be connect via Ethernet to the router LAN.

4. gearheadgeek

gearheadgeek New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    That helps. Thank you very much!

5. gearheadgeek

gearheadgeek New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Wow! Thanks for all this!

The only reason for a coax connection is speed - someone recommended that. I have gigabit ethernet so maybe I don't need the coax. Comcast will have to do some hookup as I already have internet and phone. They will have to put some sort of splitter in somewhere. I'm not sure where I could tap in the coax from the Mini.

If I understand, I can use the Bold as the MoCA bridge if I have ethernet to the Mini? I wouldn't have any idea whether the phone modem or anything else Comcast installs would have MoCA bridging.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 3:13 PM
  6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you have Ethernet connectivity to both the BOLT and Mini locations then you don’t need MoCA. (You *would* still require a coax connection to the BOLT, of course, to deliver the TV signal for tuning.)

Also, if you’re buying a Mini VOX, the Gigabit Ethernet connection would be the fastest option. (Older Minis were just Fast Ethernet.)

If you have Ethernet to the Mini and the BOLT could be setup as the MoCA bridge (indicating that the BOLT also has Ethernet connectivity), there would be no need for MoCA.

It depends on whether you lease the gear from Comcast or supply your own; and, again, MoCA may not be needed.

7. gearheadgeek

gearheadgeek New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    That settles it. Ethernet it is.

Thanks again for the help and advice!

krkaufman likes this.