Help: 2x TivoS2 + 2x Comcast HD + 1 HDTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by itcrashed, Aug 3, 2006.

1. itcrashed

itcrashed New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Dublin, CA

Advertisements

Can someone verify that my setup will work? I will be ditching my DirectTV and switching to Comcast but I want to rig 1 TV with 2x Tivo S2 and 2x Comcast HD boxes. I want to be able the record the non-hd content on both Comcast boxes as well as watch HDTV on either box.

I know I won't have 5.1 on either Comcast Box (which is fine.) I'll at least have it when watching DVDs.

Will the Comcast boxes allow a video stream on both Svideo AND Component interfaces simultaneously? I know I am stuck with using the analog audio since I can't split the optical audio.

I attached a picture of my proposed setup (sorry for the poor quality picture.)

Any feedback or alternatives are appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

Attached Files:

2. godmachine156

godmachine156 New Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Well first off ...whats the model number of your Comcast's DVR? and if you are gonna be using S-video and Componet you should be fine ..both ports are active for non-HDTV content ( the comcast DVR box here in Atlanta,GA can record HDTV has HDMI port and i believe you cant use the HDMI and Componet ports at the same time) with componet being active for HD content (although possibly restricted depending on Comcast in Cal)

Keep in mind that you will be splitting the signal pretty heavily ...it will degrade your HD Picture some .. also setup everything like you are setting up 1xtivo and 1 comcast box which is a basic install ..and basicly with most modern HDTV's just switch between video inputs for each one (1 tivo/1 comcast on input 1 , 1 tivo/1 comcast on input 2) and record it accordingly, it will be alittle tricky and take some getting use to but you should be to for the most part.

In the end i dont see a easy hook up for what you want with 1 tv ..so good luck.

3. btl-a4

btl-a4 Man I must be bored.

Dec 28, 2005
    Have you bought the TiVo's yet? If you haven't I would suggest another route. For now just get the Dual Tuner HD DVR from Comcast. The interface isn't that great and I just hate the FF. Just use it till the Series 3 comes out later this year and return the Comcast box. They don't have a minimum time or anything like that, so you can return it after a day if you wanted. The Picture Quality on the Comcast DVR is better than TiVo on standard def as well as high def. I live right down the street from you in San Ramon so we will have the same equip. I had to return a few of the moto 6412's because they were buggy, but have had good luck with the DCT3412 I got.

4. itcrashed

itcrashed New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Dublin, CA
    Thank you for the replies, godmachine156 and btl-a4

I haven't received the the Comcast Boxes yet. It sounds like I'll be getting the DCT3412 - thats what everyone seems to have in San Ramon and Dublin.

And my TiVos are TCD24004 and TCD54000.

At some point I'll look into S3 when they are out, but in the meantime, I want to be able to use my existing Tivos instead of the Comcast DVR because I save a lot of content on my PC and do transfers to my Cingular/HTC Wizard. I'm a big Formula One freak and to be making these changes mid-season is agonizing :)

Does my audio hook up look ok? Or do I have to Y-split anywhere?

5. btl-a4

btl-a4 Man I must be bored.

Dec 28, 2005

Advertisements

Assuming that it will output both component and s-video it should work. I don't think it will output both but I could be wrong. I seem to remember having to tell the HDTV reciever where to output the signal either component or HDMI. I guess it could send HD through those while simultaneously sending SD through S-video.
    The other think you need to do is make an audio run from the Set top box to the A/V reciever. Otherwise all your sound is going to be delayed from running it through the TiVo if you are watching live HDTV.

If i were you I would just get one HDTV DVR for recording and watching HD content and hook the TiVo's up for recording analog without any set-top box. Comcast really gets you for having more than one STB. They are going to charge you for extra oulet charge of $5.00 plus addl something else for another $5.00. Right now that is the setup I am using except I have only one TiVo.

6. PaJo

PaJo New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    highspire,pa...
    I just switched from DTV with 5 Dtivos to Comcast using their HD DVR and a standalone Tivo on a Motorola digital box. I am glad to have Tivolution magazine back, but Comcast is far from DTV. You mention DD 5.1 - well the only time I get that with Comcast is on High Definition and even on that there are some that are just Dolby Digital 2 channel.

The Comcast Motorola "digital" box they gave us doesn't even have S-video output and forget optical or coaxial digital output - nothing! You have three right audio ,left audio, video! After all this time and they still don't offer dolby digitial outputs other than on the HD boxes.

The good part is the Tivo handled the Comcast box easily, I just had to answer a few questions to confirm everything and the Tivo was able to use the serial cable and it shows both tuners working.

It was great to see "Tivolutioin" magazine again! The Comcast HD DVR we got is ok, I guess , it does have some nice features - I am looking forward to the Tivo S3 release. Oh, a nice side benifit of using the Tivo is I can leave the Comcast unit on all the time and just watch everything through the Tivo, eliminating the need to use Comcast's guide that list many channels I don't even want to see listed, and with leaving the Comcast box on keeps it from switching to their commercial channel - that's frustrating. Using the Tivo alows me better control of what is listed in the guide - less crap!

7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    It's going to be very tricky to put two identical Comcast boxes (or even two Comcast boxes that use the same IR codes) to operate in the same room, if that's what your diagram suggests.

The IR control pulses meant for one could be seen by the other and cause channel changes on both boxes at once.

How exactly were you going to be placing the TiVo/ComcastBox combos?

8. itcrashed

itcrashed New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Dublin, CA
    Each Comcast/Tivo Box will sit in its own space in my AV cabinet. I had a similar setup with my Directv and had no IR issues. Each setup will sit on its own shelf in the cabinet (solid wood) Once I get it all rigged up this Sunday, I will post a pic.

I might have problems with Comcast, however, because I may want to flip channels with the Comcast remote for HDTV - I hope you can set unique remote codes on these boxes so that I dont change channels on both HDTV boxes with one remote! Tivo solved this with their 1/2 remote code switch.

In any case, I'll try to figure out something and keep you all posted.

9. itcrashed

itcrashed New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Dublin, CA
    So I ended up scrapping my original plan and I decided to go with 1 x DCT 3412 DVR. It just made the most sense given what I demanded. I felt that I didn't want to work my entire system around the old TiVo interfaces (S-video and analog.) This is difficult with wanting to take advantage of component and optical interfaces, not to mention, HDTV altogether.

It looks like I'll be waiting for S3 or the Comcast w/integrated TiVo should they ever come out.

So far, the Comcast DVR interface is ok - I won't go thru my wishlist of changes - I'm sure they are the same with everyone else.

Anyone wanna buy my 2 TiVos, both with lifetime? lol seriously