Hell's Kitchen - Tues 8/9/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sharkster, Aug 10, 2011.

1. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Woo hoo! Was so glad to see Jonathan get the ax. I found him even more irritating than Elise. At least Elise has some talent.

I'd like to see Elise lose something to Carrie since she's been gunning for Carrie for so long. Carrie can do well, IMO.

2. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I had run out of stuff to watch on my TiVo, so I was channel-surfing last night. I spotted Wolfgang Puck and stopped to watch.

So this was the first episode of the show I have ever seen.

Once again I tip my hat to the casting directors for finding contestants that make me yell "I could cook better than that!" at the screen when I can't cook worth a damn. Just like on Food Network Star, some of these hapless contestants would get eaten alive on Top Chef. Where do they find these people?

For instance: here we have a group of chefs getting super excited about winning a contest when they won by a score of 2-1. It's not like you won 5-0 ladies. Reality check time.

And sure, if you are looking at this from the "I can't show what I can do" standpoint, it would suck to be ordered to make someone else's pizza, especially when the surprise judge turned out to be Wolfgang Puck. But in a real professional kitchen, you are going to be executing someone else's design, so you have to suck it up and do it, or convince the boss to switch you to another task. So I don't have much sympathy.

At the very least I know not to try and cook three servings of pasta in a basket that is designed to hold only one. :eek:

I doubt I'll watch again, because Ramsay is just too annoying, and the combination of Very Annoying Host plus sad-sack contestants is just too annoying.

But the show was amusing enough for a fill-in-hour of TV. The comedy club, with the comedian sending up Ramsay, was a very nice touch.

3. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Well, those of us in the previous episode thread that guessed it was Wolfgang were right. His silhouette is fairly distinctive. On Food Network Star, he actually took the contestants into the kitchen and showed them how to make risotto after one of them presented him a horrible risotto dish. I wish he would have done the same thing here, after inviting Jonathan to Spago to try a real pizza. Wolfgang sort of invented California style pizza. He's always got a great sense of humor on the various shows he's been on. I loved his comment about Tommy's tattoos that had everybody cracking up.

Carrie and Elise are both annoying. I hope one of them goes next. I wasn't sad to see Jonathan leave. He's been getting more annoying as the season has progressed.

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Murgatroyd - I was thinking the same thing about that 'win'...There were TEN dishes so only 3 even got a score. Not so much a big win, sez me.

Justen - Yeah, I agree that BOTH Carrie and Elise are annoying but I still wouldn't mind seeing Elise get slapped (figuratively speaking) by Carrie before they are both gone. hehe

5. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I say this every season....but if you could cook nothing else but, risotto, scallops, beef wellington, and seabass....you can make at least make it into the top 8-10.

Seriously...how do you not know how to cook any of those perfectly and still go on this show?!?

6. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I'm sure most of them can cook those dishes fine in an individual task, its coordination in a line that kills people plus Gordon bringing hell-fire on their heads. Even in Top Chef, the Restaurant War challenge trips up the comparatively much more accomplished cooks and they have the mild mannered Tom and Padma to please :)

7. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I see your point, but scallops and risotto are apps so no real coordination needed. The Wellington seems to be the most difficult.

8. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    In all fairness, Ramsey's requirement that all dishes fora table be presented at the same time is an unusual one. In a normal restaurant setting, the dishes are put under warming lights between the time they are plated and when they are served. 5 minutes under a warming light won't harm the dish, and it's very difficult to get multiple plates completed at the exact same time.

9. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    and so isn't the fact that all tables sit down at the same time.

From what I've been able to figure out, they really only have to do about 15-20 tables for each team.

10. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Do they give a point to both teams if both dishes are good?

Even if that's true, the widest margin of victory would still be 5-0 (one team scored points for all five head-to-heads and the other scored none).

In any case, we agree -- one team getting points for only two dishes out of five -- fun for the winners, but it's not like it's a blowout.

11. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I'm pretty sure in the past there have been occasions when Ramsey awarded points to both teams. Sorry, I can't think of an example, nor even on which season it may have occurred. I've seen every episode. They all sort of blur together.

12. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    It seems as if every season most of the "chefs" smoke. Just seems odd to me but maybe that's the norm in that profession.

13. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    A lot of chefs smoke. It's a high stress job, and new chefs will often pick up the habit from older chefs who use it as a way to relax on breaks.

I would think it would destroy your palette, though...

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    There have already been a couple of times this season where both teams have received a point in a challange. It usually occurs when both dishes presented are equally acceptable.

15. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I just came on here to make a snarky remark about smoking being a casting pre-requisite - and i'm a smoker - it just cracks me up that every season - every 'house' discussion is around an ashtray.

16. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Most of the contestants aren't the types of chefs you would see at a nice restaurant. They work in places like hospitals, nursing homes, and probably places like Applebees or TGIFridays. There are a few exceptions and those are the people that win each season. This season that person seems to be Will.

Who cares how much they won by, they won. It's not about each dish, it's about not having to spend 6-8 hours cleaning kitchens and peeling potatoes. In the previous ep, the red team lost and had to unload 20 delivery trucks. I'd be pretty darn happy too if I knew I didn't have to go through that again.

17. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Oh, sure, I get that.

But even so, I expect cooks that are getting paid for what they do, even at Applebees, to be past the newbie cook mistakes like overfilling the container with pasta, and having it all come out in an inedible glob, all stuck to itself.

Learning some tasks, like the timing of stuff that will make it come out just right, may be tricky and take lots of reps before you get it right.

But how many times do you really need to screw up the pasta before you get it, that you're doing it the wrong way?

Even if you keep on doing it at work at Applebees, wouldn't someone have chewed your ass out there, before you got on the show?

Anyway, it's a human thing -- whatever you learn, you know X, it becomes "common knowledge". I already know not to make that mistake, so I expect everybody to know.

18. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    I will start by saying that I have no clue if this is true....but someone once told me that another person who had worked at Applebee's told them that most everything is microwaved. If that is true, then no wonder these people don't know the basics.

Of course, that could also be a complete untruth.....???