Hell's Kitchen - OAD 8/18/08 *** spoilers ***

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jradosh, Aug 20, 2009.

1. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...

Advertisements

(yes, I'm still watching)

So they make Robert ride a bicycle uphill and induce a heart attack. This is about as low as reality TV gets. What's next... strobe lights to induce an epileptic fit? :rolleyes:

I did like the low-cal challenge FWIW. At least it was different.

Is anyone still watching (and willing to admit it? ;) )

2. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Tough if he can't semi-peddle a bike... Maybe this is another wake up call since the last one seemed to do nothing. It sure didn't look like he was assisting much but that could be because of the editing.

That was a cool bike, I'd like to try that out. It must feel weird to peddle that while facing another direction. Perhaps that can be included in the team time trial next year in the tour de france. lol.

With all of their fingers touching food, glad I rarely eat out.

3. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    if you can't do that little bit of exercise without crashing than you shouldn't be working in a fast paced job. Wakeup call indeed.

But I would guess he's not losing weight any time soon - much easier said than done and he doesn't seem to be in any big hurry.

I still think I could cook better then most of these bozo's!

4. Fassade

Fassade New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    A heart condition is obviously the most serious, but the others must have had problems too. The losing team pedaled uphill with:

1. An obese man with a recent history of heart problems
    2. A man with one or both ankles in (or just recently out of) boots/wraps
    3. A man who could only hold on with one hand

Fox either has some brave lawyers, or a very carefully crafted liability waiver. Probably both. :)

5. ReenieS

ReenieS geek goddess

Sep 30, 2002
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

I'll bet that Robert's WIFE didn't sign a liability waiver. Let's see the wrongful death settlement from that lawsuit. What idiot producer thought up that little stunt? And why not allow Robert to sit out of that one? They certainly opted out of him riding in the helicopter last season on his "win". And dopey Lacey from last season took to her bed in the dorm when the women lost the challenge and no one said "boo" to her last season. That was a bullsh*t punishment, and has nothing to do with a cooking challenge. They could have easily had him remain in the kitchen and working on prep!

6. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Anybody else think that Tennille would have done a far better job of kicking Chef Ramsay's ass than that tool from a few weeks ago, Joseph?
    Say what you will about her she was right. And she didn't back down.

As far as Robert, if they are going to do challenges that are the least bit tiring they need at minimum a basic physical to clear the contestants to compete. Even a moments glance by a cross eyed monkey could tell you he wasn't up to it.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes.

I didn't like her at first, but after she stood up for herself that last time, I gained a lot of respect for her.
    I think she was absolutely right that she didn't deserve to be nominated for elimination this time.
    I loved the "sit on this, MFers" aside. :p

Tell me the DVDs are uncensored...I'd like to see this without all the bleeping. :D

ETA: And what's up with the men's team? I expected them to kick ass this week after the great service they had last week. Is Robert that much of an asset?

8. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I thought it was funny that they were going to try and bounce Robert and Ramsey squashed it quick!

9. MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    I'm sure the writers have Ramsey's whole speech written out for when it's his turn to go.

10. BWINKLER92

BWINKLER92 Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Are there no sanitation laws in Calf? They all handle the food with never a glove, and no one wears a hairnet either? In all places I have been both are law. What's the deal?

I also notice they never use any breading or flour on stuff being fried like fish, scallops or shrimp to coat it, why is that?

11. coolpenguin

coolpenguin New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I've always heard that gloves are less sanitary than no gloves because people don't change their gloves. I duno.

12. Mr. Happypants

Mr. Happypants Bal'more Hon

Jan 29, 2006
    Still watching, still not sure why. I've heard rumors that the entire show is scripted, not just the obvious scenes, and that in fact all of the "chefs" are low-grade actors. Believable theory, since none of them seem able to cook even the simplest of dishes. If any proof surfaces, I'll be sure to post links for those interested.

13. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I've now met two of the contestants, actually. They are indeed chefs, and one of them even seemed to have a bit of talent.

However, nobody is selected for this show based on cooking talent. That much is obvious.

14. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    I (and many others) don't watch this show for cooking talent. It's entertainment, that's all.

It's fairly evident that the stated prize is not awarded as shown but the fact that Heather, a previous winner, is a sous chef for the red team this season instead of Executive Chef at the Green Valley Ranch in Las Vegas.

If you want cooking ability, watch the much less staged and incredibly superior Top Chef on Bravo.

Having said all that, I enjoy the (staged or otherwise) drama that is HK!!

15. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The prize was only for a year (I think the "salary" was $250,000), and she was probably some combination of sous chef and PR tool while she was there. Don't confuse "executive chef" with "head chef".

-- Don

16. Mr. Happypants

Mr. Happypants Bal'more Hon

Jan 29, 2006
    We watch both too, well, I do anyway! She won't sit through HK with me, and I thought the wedding vows had that covered. Hmmmmm. I think since I started watching Top Chef, the pure absurdity of HK is just more pronounced, that's all. I enjoy the circus as much as anybody, but I don't think I have a favorite person this season.

17. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Despite his health issues (he'll never have to pedal uphill as a chef), I think Robert has the ability to hold a kitchen staff together. He inspires them, leads them, and at the same time leaves them to have plenty of space to do their own thing. Being an executive chef is more than being a good cook.

I think there is a reason that they brought him back this season.

Barbeedoll

18. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Corn Country
    I think they brought him back because he's an entertaining trash talking back stabber. He may have some leadership ability, and he may be a decent cook (his results seem inconsistent to me), but I don't care for the way he treats people, in front of or behind their backs.

19. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Agreed, he was brought back because of his on camera comments. He was average last season and average this season.