Hell's Kitchen - OAD 6/19 *** spoilers ***

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jradosh, Jun 19, 2007.

1. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...

Advertisements

Thank god the cryin' cowboy is gone :D

My DVR skipped a bit at the end. Were two people nominated and then Joanna was chosen, or was it just Joanna that was picked? If it was two, who was the other one?

J

2. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Joanna and short order girl were chosen, but at the last minute garbage spaghetti girl nominated herself. Joanna was tossed for having no nose for food.

They never did disclose what was wrong with the crying cowboy. I think he went mental in combination with falling apart physically on them and was just let go.

3. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    I'm wondering if Aaron had a known condition before the start of the series. That would explain why Gordon appeared to be going easy on him.

It was hard to watch him skip all of the punishments and then completely screw up any cooking he tried to do. I can't imagine what his retirement home food is like!

Joanna and Jen both did unforgiveable stuff. It's ridiculous to think that someone who took food out of a garbage can or used rancid crab meat would EVER be allowed to continue in a professional kitchen. Both of these are extreme health hazards that could lead to illness or even death (seriously!).

IMHO, BOTH should have been removed immediately. I realize that would have meant three eliminations, but that's how it goes. I'd be very surprised if Jen lasts much longer after that. She's certainly not going to win. If she'll do something like that when the cameras are on, what will she do when she's NOT being watched?

I'm seeing signs that Rock may be the best of a poor bunch - if he can overcome his feud with Josh.

4. montag

montag New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    I suspect he's more actor than cook. A pretty good one at that. Hell, he's fooled most of you. :)

5. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas

Advertisements

Ok, 1st time seeing this show last night, I liked it. So the winner gets to run a kitchen at a hotel? Yikes.. I wouldn't hire any of em.

6. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I got the feeling more than once that Aaron was a plant. Jen should have been tossed out too.

7. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    I really liked how Julia was able to show her own brand of cooking skills during the breakfast service. She was really in control (leading others -- girls and guys) and she obviously knew what she was doing with the eggs (touching for doneness, one-handed flipping, etc.). I was surprised that the girls still nominated her after that performance.

I was definitely surprised that Jen wasn't immediately fired by Gordon when she confessed to taking the food "out of the bin" -- especially with her feeble rationalization, "into the 212 degree water" -- look lady, it's still garbage.

8. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    Julia rocked...I cannot believed she was nominated.

9. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Did anyone else notice when Joanna licked the tongs she was using? Ewwww....
    There isn't one person on this show who should win. I can't believe the Green Valley resort would want any of them.

10. tetspa

tetspa New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    The crying cowboy wasn't an actor...the world is full of such people who have found a soft place to work where everyone just thinks "he is such a sweetie you can't help but like him" and who coddle and "enable" him to survive. I knew of one such Forest-Gump-type person (who worked as a prison guard, no less). I fell sorry for him in that I'm sure he was extremely embarrassed when the shows aired, but I'm sure his friends at the retirement home rallied around him and told him that it was probably the "pressure of tv" that got to him and that if it were not for the bad "luck" he too could be running a multi-million dollar restaurant.

I fault the producers of the show who, in my opinion, in a blatent grab for comic relief, put on this person knowing full well he would be ridiculed. Heck, even Ramsay could see this for what it was and quickly backed off and made "nice nice" for the camera. SHAME ON THEM ALL.

11. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Since at this point I'm really liking Julia and think she should win, I'm glad she was nominated.

By which I mean: I think the others nominating Julia after she had stepped up and done such an exemplary job speaks poorly of them while placing Julia in no real risk from Gordon. Gordon knew that Julia had done well, and complemented her on several occasions through the night. There is no way he was going to eliminate her, and so her competitors nominating her can only backfire.

Thank goodness for Julia's reaction to Jen's bin-diving. I half-suspect that there are more restaurant chefs like Jen than like Julia, and so seeing Julia truly appear shocked and seeing her say "No, no, no!" when Jen revealed she had fished the pasta out of the trash helps to preserve my faith in the food presented to me at restaurants notwithstanding the many "Health Violations at Your Favorite Restaurant" local news expose's I've seen over the years. Good to know there are chefs that, even under extreme pressure, still keep sanitation in mind.

Totally missed Joanna licking the tongs.

Anyone else have their recording cut out for about a minute at the 27-28 minute mark, just before the scene with Aaron in the hospital? Not sure if it was something with my tivo, the local feed, or something bigger - it screen went all pink for about a minute - I was able to fast-forward through it and when video returned a minute later, Chef was telling everyone that Aaron wouldn't be returning.

12. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    Well, they weren't wrong in thinking that she's ultimately out of her depth. Sure, she kicked ass running breakfast service, but the grand prize isn't the opportunity to run a Denny's, and it's hard to imagine how she's going to handle a restaurant more upscale than that when she doesn't even know what Creme Brulee is, let alone how to prepare it.

Still, among the list of sins of this particular episode, that pales next to serving rancid crab and trash picking. They had no business nominating her this week.

13. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    Yes, I noticed this. I don't think that they showed her actually using the tongs in the food again after the lick. She may have put it in the sink to be washed right after that, but you never know. Definitely not a good idea either way though.

14. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    I'm glad I didn't waste 99 cents voting for Aaron to be the one eliminated in the text messaging game. His name was removed from the game in the last half of the show. I wonder if the folks who voted for him in the first half will get their money back? (ha)

The lesson from this is: wait until the last opportunity to enter so you can see how the show is playing out.

15. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    Isn't it better, if one is going to be entering that contest, to do so from the website since that's free?

16. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    That was really my point. They shouldnÂ’t have nominated her this week, with the breakfast service being right up her alley and her coming through -- especially with the two egregious errors occurring during the week. Jen should have stepped up earlier, when they were discussing the nominations, not when they had already nominated Julia in front of Gordon.

I agree that she most likely wouldn't be able to run an upscale kitchen -- especially if she would have to come up with innovative and upscale dishes, but I do think that she has some cooking skills.

17. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    Yes, and you can also put in an entry for each of them, just to be sure.

18. SuperZippy

SuperZippy Instigator

Feb 11, 2002
    Southern...
    at least jen had the guts to admit to ramsey when it came down to it...

she still sucks, but i'm glad she did that...

after the very first episode it is hard not to root for julia..

i also noticed she said she was going to go study....makes me think she is really working to do well at something she is behind the curve on...

rock looks to be the best of the men...

19. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    There was no crying this week for the first time in this season.

BUT...

Someone does cry next week. Woohoo

20. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    I was happy to see the "Coming this Fall" teaser for the American version of Kitchen Nightmares.