hello from new member. (and Fios questions)

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by vig1116, Aug 17, 2020.

1. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Aug 16, 2020

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've always just rented boxes from my provider over the last 20 years, but this past week, I did the math and decided to get a Tivo edge with the all in deal. It's arriving today and am looking forward to setting it all up with my Fios triple play. I'm looking for any/all advise you can give to a new member aka ROOKIE!!!! lol

specific questions I have if anyone knows, with Fios, I am using my own router but for the current Fios box I bought a used Fios router that I disabled wifi and DHCP assignments so the box can get the guide and whatever else it needs. What do I need to do for the Tivo to work the best it could? Same setup as for the Fios box, or do I not need the Fios router and just ethernet from my own router?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!!!!! I'm already anticipating calling to get rid of ads if they'll do it. Maybe I'll call within the 30 day return window and say I'd love to keep it but the ads are driving me crazy!!! we'll see. Thanks everyone for looking and possibly responding!!

2. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    First of all you probably could have stuck with whatever device was providing your internet. No need for something specific for the Edge. Just connect by wifi like all your other devices but it sounds like you have some expertise in that area. Are you using cable or over the air? If cable you will need a cablecard from your provider. Do not let them tell you they cant provide one. They must provide by law. Lastly you may need a tuning adapter which in my mind is the biggest obstacle to an enjoyable TiVo experience. The adapter is also provided by the cable company. It will be a stress filled time. Connecting the box physically getting the cablecard and tuning adapter. Then you must activate the cablecard which must be paired to your Edge. Once this is done it normally can be paired and forgotten about. The activation of the tuning adapter will be your biggest hurdle. Multiple calls to support, maybe multiple visits to the home. Everything may work on the first 20 minutes or it could be a week long nightmare. Sorry to be so truthful. Goid luck. It's well worth the effort.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    vig1116 likes this.
  3. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Aug 16, 2020
    YIKES!!!! lol. I already had my own router way before now. Kids are big gamers, wife works from home all the time, and a lot of the house is a "smart" home, so I like to get my own hardware. I already have a cablecard from Fios that I picked up over the weekend in preparation for today and I know I have to call to activate the card, but I know nothing about the tuning adapter. What the heck is that??? lol. (I'll try to research that now.) I was hoping for an easy 1 or 2 call installation on this, but I think I'm mistaken on that idea now. hahahaha

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    As far as I know, Fios doesn't use a tuning adapter, only some cable systems do. Just call to get the card paired, and you should be in business.

rtoledo and vig1116 like this.
  5. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Aug 16, 2020

Advertisements

awesome! thanks mdavej! will post after I get delivery and set up. hope it'll go smoothly...

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    vig1116 likes this.
  7. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Is your Internet via FIOS as well? If so, you may already have MoCa in place, so you wouldn't need anything to get your TiVo box on the Internet.

vig1116 likes this.
  8. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Aug 16, 2020
    I was going to activate it myself online but I don't seem to have an activation code. probably because I picked up the card and wasn't delivered. he didn't give me a receipt, just the card.

yes, I have the triple play, so all is Fios. on hold activating card now, so hopefully it'll be a flawless install? lmao. riigghhhttttttt.

9. jaselzer

jaselzer Active Member

Sep 10, 2018
    My experience with my Tivo Edge and Fios has been basically flawless and easy. As far as I am concerned, Fios support is pretty good and they should have you up and running in no time. You really do not need anything since Fios will install their modem. I also use my own router, not Fios.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    There is no "activation code" all 3 sets of data are available from the CableCARD activation screen after you have it installed in the Tivo.
    If you're using a Verizon FiOS router it has MoCA capability already, even if you purchased it yourself.

11. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Fios' online activation tool asks for an "activation code" in addition to the cable card data. Something to do with a code on your bill. Follow the link I posted above and see if you can find a way around it.

I don't have Fios, so I'm just spit balling here.

12. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Aug 16, 2020
    I was on the phone with Fios tech support, and I have to say, probably the nicest and best customer service I've experienced with any service provider. It took a little while to get the card activated cause his computer was being picky, but he got it to go, then he waited, and waited for my new Tivo to update and set up. I asked him a couple of times if he wanted to go and if I had a problem id call back and he said he could stay on with me all day if I needed, so he waited. After a total of about 45 minutes, Tivo edge finally finished setup and it's working perfectly!! The guide is definitely a plus already. I never liked Fios' guide that the channel you're on is bigger and the advertisements as well. HDR is crisp and clear as any other as well. Here's hoping for a flawless time with Fios and Tivo from here on out. Thanks guys and gals!!!

mdavej likes this.
  13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Interesting, my bad on that, I bounce between FiOS and RCN every few years and I didn't remember a FiOS activation code, but that could be just dead brain cells.

14. rtoledo

rtoledo Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Los Angeles...
    are you with Frontier or Verizon ? anyone seing a securi.net firewall crap ad in this forum?

15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I temporarily turned off my ad blocker and didn't see anything related to sucuri.

16. rtoledo

rtoledo Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Los Angeles...
    I just realized my Frontier Router was reset to default . just added my DNS servers back in. Edison's power spikes are killing electrical equip. my pfsense router flash drive got trashed as did the Bolt's hard drive. I doug out a old heavy UPS to hook them up to . need to get of my lazy butt and set up a whole house SPike at the main feed. they are only 100.00 just have to do it

17. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Fios doesn’t need a tuning adapter, just the cable card.

No need for a Fios router. Just use Moca WiFi or any Ethernet. TiVo just needs an internet connection. Personally I prefer the ease of Moca (one cable!) since Fios creates the network automatically.

vig1116 likes this.
  18. rtoledo

rtoledo Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Los Angeles...
    I ran into MOCA limits with some high end recordings from one bolt to the other. so I hooked them up to a giga switch , have had zero issues with speed while replaying high bps recordingsfrom onemachineto the other

19. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Aug 16, 2020
    learn something new every day. with some of the Tivo boxes, you don't need a Verizon Router or MoCA adapter. They have a built in MoCA adapter. So I just plugged in coax from ONT and ethernet from Asus router and turned on MoCA on TiVo Edge and so far works perfectly. Can't wait to pick up a mini lux when they go on sale and see how it goes....

20. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    TiVo’s since Roamios don’t need a Moca adapter as long as the source (your ONT) is creating the Moca network.

You don’t even need the Ethernet from your Asus router. ALL you need is coax (with Moca) going into your Edge.

Same goes for any Mini, when you get one.

I have a Roamio Plus and a non-Vox mini and both have nothing but a coax connection. The Fios ONT supplies everything via Moca.