Hello from a new member

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by backell, Jul 17, 2011.

1. backell

backell New Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Greetings all!

I've had my Tivos for three days now, having switched over from Comcast DVRs. I'm not sure what it was that did the trick, but I finally decided it was time.

It seems that there are a lot of complaints about Tivo on this forum, and some of you may not realize how good you really have it. Here are some things that swayed me to making the switch to Tivo.

Multi-Room Viewing: Technically Comcast has this, but here's the situation with Comcast's version. If you have three DVRs--which you're paying nearly as much to rent as you are for the Tivo service--two are essentially rendered useless as only ONE can record shows. Three DVRs with dual tuners but I can only record two shows at once if I want to be able to access multi-room viewing?

Apparently I signed up at the right time as the "streaming" option appears to be fairly new. That's VERY nice. You might not realize it if you've only ever had Tivo, but when you don't have the ability to do multi-room viewing you tend to record several programs on more than one DVR so that you can have the option of watching it in different rooms. This requires frequently needing to "mop up" each DVR, deleting shows you watched in another room. Multi Room viewing means you don't waste DVR space by recording the same show on multiple DVRs.

Transfer to desktop With Comcast, there really is NO simple workable solution to transferring your data to the desktop. The BEST you can do is get analog recordings using a capture card. HD recording is doable (with a Hauppague PVR) but real time is not exactly what I'm looking for.

Wifey likes to record every Oprah and Martha that comes on the air and hog significant quantities of storage space. Every single one seems to be of the utmost importance because she wants to keep this recipe or that interview. Essentially wifey is a video header.

She leaves it to me to figure out how to get rid of everything. Tivo to desktop makes this thing worthwhile all by itself. It seems there are a host of options for encoding those into smaller files, but honestly, I can't make heads or tells of all this pyrotivotechnics stuff. If there's a starter thread for dummies I'd appreciate a link.

For now I've just purchased a pretty simple program, "Aunsoft" which works well enough, but if there's a dependable (operative word dependable) way of auto-deleting commercials, then please give me a link.

Cost: I didn't even hesitate to drop the sizable sum to pay for three lifetime subscriptions. If I own these puppies for two years I start getting the service for free. Even if I sour on Tivo I can always get something for those Tivos because the subscription transfers.

With Comcast, you are paying $8.00 for the first box and then 15.95 for the next two. In about three years I figure I break even in terms of cost, but in those three years with Comcast I have nothing to show for that $1,500 (cost of Tivos+Service).

With the Tivos I either start getting free service or can recoup a significant part of that money. Financially, there's no contest.

Transfer Downloads to Tivo Frankly, I didn't even know this was a possibility when I bought it. This alone makes the Tivo to Desktop Plus worth the $25.00 I plopped down. My entire PC Library now comfortably resides on my Tivos.

In fact, I was so happy about this I bought a 1 TB WD DVR expander and a 500 GB version as well. (With all the cash I dropped no way am I going to entertain the possibility of voiding my warranty!)

As a customer who has been using a DVR for YEARS (seven???) I never really thought that there was that much difference between the Tivo and DVR. All I heard was about the better interface.

There's a lot more than interface that separates the Tivo. Sure I lose my On-Demand but I figure that Netflix etc makes up for that. (Besides all the On Demand options are still available online).

It seems a lot of people complain about little things and minor problems that occur with the menu, or having too many layers etc. Those types of things seem fairly minuscule when compared to the advantages that Tivo offers over Comcast DVRs.

Don't think that the Comcast DVRs don't have their quirks too. My DVRs would frequently "record" a show but when I went to watch it, it would just be black. Or else I would be halfway through a show, and the rest is there, but there would be some kind of "barrier" in the middle of the show that I couldn't play past, ff past or skip past. It's like I'd just have to wonder how the blasted thing ended!

And let me add that my Mother in Law's Road Runner DVR SUCKS compared to the Comcast DVR.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm breaking any unwritten rules here by actually being HAPPY with my Tivo, but I thought I'd just give the perspective of someone who has had a lot of experience with something much worse.

2. backell

backell New Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention. Right now Best Buy has a promotion where you get the "Slide" remote free with the purchase of a Tivo.

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Welcome to the TiVolution.

There really are a lot of things to love about TiVo. Many folks have just lost sight of that because they aren't continuing to innovate at the pace that they once did. It's disappointing and frustrating, but there's still nothing better for what most people want in a DVR.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Welcome. :)

Regarding Tivo Desktop and all things related, visit the Home Media Features section:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=7&f=35

For dealing with .tivo files, I highly recommend VideoReDo.
    http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm
    Intuitive editing and a useful Quickstream Fix utility that can help clean up a possibly corrupted file.
    You can download the software and register for a trial key to use it fully functional for 15 days.
    They constantly work to improve their product with updates and bug fixes (TiVo could take note ;)), and if you have any problems with the software, they have an excellent support forum.
    http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/index.php

5. imcordless

imcordless New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    hello,

6. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Is there a way for tivo to play my 1080p or 720p mkvs that reside on my pc? Either by streaming or downoading? Or do i need. To buy a wdtv live?

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yes, google "pytivo" and see the huge pytivo thread in the home media forum.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Is this option officially enabled on the Premiere's? I was just reading this thread on the topic and there seems to be the possibility that this is just experimental now and could be disabled later.
    You're lucky that apparently Comcast doesn't copy protect almost everything, like others do (e.g. Time Warner). That copy protection also prevents MRV unless streaming is enabled.
    There is an even better free solution: pyTiVo.
    Well.... we'll let you get away with it, just this once! ;)

9. backell

backell New Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Comcast does copy protect everything. That's why you have to actually play it through on a capture card (can't use HDMI, gotta use component) and record it manually.

Frankly, Comcast sucks.

10. backell

backell New Member

Jul 17, 2011
    If you use the Tivo to desktop (which is all I've used and know what to do with exactly) all you do is got "Publish Videos," select the folder where your videos are in, and wait for the videos to finish transferring.

The best part is that as soon as you finish downloading any new videos (erp...importing them from your camera) it will automatically detect and add new files to the Tivo if you want it to.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    A software update being pushed out now has removed the streaming feature, see this thread for more details. This feature was unannounced, unofficial and there is no evidence it will ever be an official feature on Premieres. It may have been added just for testing purposes to support a future product.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yes, welcome.

Indeed there are.

No, many people don't feel this is the case. This is subjective, and IMO, incorrect.

I find it to be neither. Almost everything I see people requesting - often demanding - is of no interest to me. If TiVo were to go to the time and effort to implement such things, they would be useless to me, so it is neither disappointing nor frustrating that they have not done so. By and large, the only things I would consider worthwhile all would require a hardware upgrade, and I am not prepared to buy new hardware, so once again TiVo's not doing anything in this respect is neither frustrating nor disappointing.

There's nothing even close for what I want in a DVR.

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That is indeed goofy. I don't use MRV a whole lot, and for a very long time I lived without it, even though it would have been available. If it were to be disabled, I would not be massively disappointed. That said, a lot of people love it.

I don't transfer anything to any "desktop", but I do transfer huge amounts of data (15TB and counting, so far) to my video server.

There is no 100% reliable means of removing commercials. Comskip and VideoRedo both do a good job, although I do not recommend automating the process beyond creating the project file.

I hate to tell you this, but there are far better programs available for free that can do this. TDT really sucks rather badly.

That warranty only lasts for 90 days. There have been fairly significant reports of issues (mostly early failures) with the WD external drives. For many reasons, an internal upgrade is a much preferred solution.

I consider the interface to be largely irrelevant. I rarely use it much beyond pressing <Play>. It's the TiVo's features that set it apart.

I agree.

You mean Time Warner?

Probably. I ignore unwritten rules.

I can relate. I had the severe misfortune of having to deal with a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR running the SARA software for 9 months. It was HORRIBLE, even compared to a Series I.

14. grouponclonesc

grouponclonesc groupon clone script

Jul 25, 2011
    hi
    i am Ali Shaikh and i am new to this forum.

15. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Comcast may copy protect everything on their DVRs, but I haven't had any problems on any of my TiVos.