Hello! a few Premiere questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JLannoo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. JLannoo

JLannoo New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Hello I haven't been here in like 7 years! I know I could search but i wanted to say hi anyways :).

I'm looking to get a premiere in a month or so and had a few questions. First, has the second core been activated for better performance? Also have there been any cool features added since the premiers release. Most reviews I've read were written around its launch time.

My plan is to have very basic cable (or no cable) with netflix, OTA HD and maybe another streaming service.

I bought My first tivo in summer 2000 btw but haven't had one in quite some time now.

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    You can pretty much go back and re-read them. Little has changed.

The Premiere is a bit more stable overall than it was at launch, and the primary new features is the iPad app, which seems to work for most people who try to use it. There's also Hulu+, which is often criticized as having a mediocre selection of titles. Amazon Prime is still not implemented. The Netflix app is unchanged. The HDUI is still incomplete.

Mention of the phrase "second core" will probably earn an empty echo through the halls of Tivo, inc as the developers scurry from sight.

It still takes an eternity to boot, and my Tivos if I leave the "Tivo Bluetooth Remote" dongle installed take two to three power cycles to successfully boot.

3. JLannoo

JLannoo New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    A nice honest response :) Thank you. I think I'm going to give it a shot. I was also thinking apple tv but I would like having OTA integrated.

Plus I remember the good old days on the forum when I had My original Sony model. So there is some brand loyalty at play. I remember beta testing software releases, figuring out how to use the serial port for guide updates etc. Back in 2000 this was some hi-tech ****. :)

I somehow lost my account and had to rejoin in 2002 hence my ittybitty post count.

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Back in the S1 days when things were hackable, there used to be so much more community involvement. I used to check the forums often to see what new applications (or even hardware like the ethernet boards!) had been developed. I wish Tivo would have taken notice and made the device more open rather than less.

I think you'll be happy with the Premiere. The key is having the appropriate expectations and knowing the state the box is in, so you're not disappointed. I recall when I got my first Premiere, I expected it to be much worse than it actually was, so I was in fact quite pleased at how well it worked. Only as the months wore on and no improvements or even acknowledgement of the many faults came did I start to sour.

5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Some (maybe most) of this is CableLabs' fault, some (maybe half) is Tivo's. I think on the software/SDK side it's mostly Tivo's, because they pretty much abandoned the dev support.

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The best way to look at the Premiere is that it will be a great OTA DVR (that is what I use mine for). Some of the Internet stuff works well like Pandora, or downloading the various Internet videos you can subscribe too or renting from Amazon.

However streaming services are not so good and you should just buy a Roku for those and save yourself the aggravation, plus the Roku will give you more options for content providers.

Just as a reminder if you are going to use it for OTA only they are running a $10/mo service special through 11/15/11. Personally I like lifetime but if you do not qualify for Multi Service Discount (MSD) I am not sure it it worth it with the $10/mo service option (again for OTA users only).

Good Luck,

7. JLannoo

JLannoo New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    thanks I'm gonna look up the roku now and check it out as a possible option

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Also the Premiere Elite will be released in October which is a four tuner Premiere(digital cable only)

9. annavogelgm

annavogelgm New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    United States
    The key is accepting the adapted expectations and alive the accompaniment the box is in, so you're not disappointed. I anamnesis if I got my aboriginal Premiere, I accepted it to be abundant worse than it in actuality was, so I was in actuality absolutely admiring at how able-bodied it worked. Only as the months wore on and no improvements or even accepting of the abounding faults came did I alpha to sour.