Hell On Wheels S01E8 OAD 1/1/12 Derailed

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1 of 24
    tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Glad the holidays are over and TV shows are coming back. Discuss away if you like.

2. Jan 2, 2012 #2 of 24
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    goodness man, will you just STOP with this childish need to start threads so that you can avoid "all season threads" it's very annoying

3. Jan 3, 2012 #3 of 24
    dfergie

dfergie Member

Aug 27, 2006
    It was a good episode really desperate bad thread start or not... ;)

4. Jan 3, 2012 #4 of 24
    DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Great episode. Over the weekend watched the first seven or so. Ok, so I did not know anything about this show. A couple weeks back had two eps. (say it was eps 8 and 9) Don't know for sure. Due to oldtimers, starting watching ep9 first. Thought "oh great, another PC western". So was not getting into it. Wife convinced me to stop and watch ep8 first. Ah ha, now 9 makes more sense. This weekend got to watch the first seven, ok, I'm hooked. Last nights ep, great.

5. Jan 3, 2012 #5 of 24
    fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    After the previous excellent episode I wasn't much of a fan of this one. The whole rainbow coalition going to find the Indians was sort of ridiculous, especially the Indian with the bow. I wasn't a fan of Lily and her becoming a common folk either.

The Bohannon and soldier interaction at the campfire was great though. I assume he will kill them all if they live past the Indians attacking.

6. Jan 3, 2012 #6 of 24
    caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I enjoyed it and think the show is getting better, loved watching Cullen open up a can of whup ass on the Swede (uh, the Norwegian).

7. Jan 3, 2012 #7 of 24
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's one thing that bugs me about the show...they don't even try to make it a true period piece. It's purely 21st-century in its attitudes.
    I thought they were moving towards the Indians seeing Bohannon defending the women and children and realizing that in this, he was on their side. But I forgot these were the Psycho Killer Indians, not the Noble Oppressed Indians. :D

8. Jan 3, 2012 #8 of 24
    jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    LOL, that was great. Uhh, but I'm Norwegian. LOL.

Looked like the derailed train didn't tear up the rail. Not sure how that is accomplished but oh well.

I liked the Sharpsburg / Antietam back and forth. Nice to see Bohannon complement the boys from the North as being very brave.

9. Jan 3, 2012 #9 of 24
    fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    And did the whore with the tattoo really call the tent her "crib" or am I misremembering? Or was that the word they used back in the day?

10. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    Love the line:

Durant: "You sent a party to kill a man because he rescued a Negro who was screwing a white whore?"

Swede: "It seem appropriate."

I don't know why Lily was having a hard time paying? Didn't she get the big money from Durant for the maps?

11. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I thought she just ended up giving them to him for nothing in return...

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And the puzzled look on his face, like he's now wondering if it's somehow NOT appropriate, but he can't imagine why.

13. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I heard "crib" too. It seemed very odd.

14. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Yes, you figure Durant would have given her some of the 5 million he collected during his stock gamble. Just 10,000 or so would go far back then.

I think she had lots of money back in England but once she decided to go West, she was cutoff.

15. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Sure it did. You could see some of the damaged rail and them working to fix it if you look closely. They seemed to repair it very quickly however (especially for that time period), but hey, this is teevee...

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It also seemed to happen close to their camp, and the workers weren't working because of the Indian threat, so they had a lot of warm bodies to throw at the problem...

17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Maybe someday these guys will learn to stop messin' with Bohannon. He whipped the Swede like a rented slave. I have a feeling the calvary leader will get his soon.

How the heck is Lily planning on making a living?

18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I loved that interchange, one of the best uses of the character that I've seen. I've struggled because the accent is so strong and Christopher Heyerdahl is so unique in all his roles that I have trouble seeing him as the Swede, but I loved the tip to him actually being 1/2 Norwegian

19. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I don't believe very many women in that time period "made a living" (other than as barmaids or hookers)...I could be wrong, and I'm sure some historian on this board will correct me if I am...:D

20. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    I also liked that they got the facts about Antietam right -- and what they left unsaid. Yes the 51st PA were able to cross the bridge, but the CSA soldiers had the high ground (I've been there) and were able to hold the union troops at bay for a long time. But after crossing the bridge they were driven back when CSA reinforcements came up. OTOH the Union commander, Gen McClellan had as many troops in reserve as he had committed to the battle at that point so he could have done better as well.
    The Union regarded Antietam as a Victory (and Lincoln issued the Emancipation proclamation afterwards), but the reality was that it was a draw, although with 25,000 casualties including 3,000+ dead it ranks as the bloodiest day in American History.