Hell On Wheels S01E02 Immortal Mathematics

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Nov 14, 2011.

1. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Discuss. I'll be back later.

2. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    These "discuss" thread starts from you are becoming a habit? Get extra points for starting a thread????

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    He desperately doesn't want a Season Thread to start, so he starts an Episode Thread as soon as he can. It has nothing to do with actually discussing the show.

Yet, I truly believe most of us here know when to start one versus the other. Most sitcoms beg for a ST (or NO thread:D). Dramas without much depth also can use one (eg, Blue Bloods or Criminal Minds). Dramas with depth, dramas that invite discussion, lend themselves to ET (Fringe or Walking Dead, among many others).

tiams--most of us can figure out which is which. Why not let nature take its course...

4. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Agreed. Kick things off with a sentence or to of what you thought about the episode, tiams, even if it's just a short opinion.

I missed the pilot last week and just got caught up this past weekend when they reran it, and am liking the show. Colm Meanly literally had a monologue to the camera at the end of the pilot. How awesome is that?

I've heard the show called 'Red Dead Redemption' the TV show (after the video game), and it fits.

5. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    I've seen both episodes so far and I'm not entirely sure what I think about it.

One thing that bugged the crap out of me was the 3 Indians that were searching for the woman. Those have to be the three least skilled Indians that I've ever seen. They're supposed to be tracking this woman that is leaking blood like mad but she can sleep 100 yards from their camp and they never noticed? To make it worse, she was only hiding behind a dead tree between the Indian camp and the river. I'm pretty sure they should have at least accidentally found her. But, I guess neither the horses nor Indians were thirsty and clearly didn't make much effort to put out their camp fire.

I do like the introduction of The Swede. He seems to be an interesting character and may turn out to be Bohanan's nemesis.

Liking Chief O'Brien... I mean Mr. Durant as well. Loved the comment about "they can't feel anything! They're dead!"

6. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    It was interesting to learn that they have to get 40 some miles completed on their own before the government money will kick in. Bohannon was smart to use that knowledge.
    Indians speaking English? Ugh.

I will say I enjoy this more than I have The Walking Dead.

Was the last scene really him smelling his dead wife's needlepoint? Made me feel like my recording cut off early. Why would the foreman have kept the needlepoint of a woman he tortured during the war?

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was a bit amused that both the Swede and his henchman are recurring characters on Sanctuary (and the Swede is a regular as well). (Which is to say, the Swede is both a recurring character and a regular.)

Chief O'Brien was a lot less operatic/Shakespearean this week.

Was this show cast by a science fiction fan? :D
    To reinforce for us (the audience) that he was in on the murder of the wife.

OK, maybe the writing this week wasn't quite up to the standard of last week, but I'm still hooked.

8. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm watching.

WHEN O WHEN will we find out who Sergeant UUUUHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn GLOOP.... is?

9. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I watched until the corny 1950s Western-style Indian characters came on with their bad English. At that point I decided I have better things I could spend my time doing and deleted it.

10. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    :D I was p-o'd that they talked perfectly normal modern English. I'd rather have them try speaking Cheyenne(?) phonetically with the hand langauge.

It occurs to me that this show really is doing a direct clone of Deadwood.

They get someone from the UK, Colm Meany, to do the villain Al Swearington and our hero, the avenging gunfighter seeking justice is Seth Bullock.

It obviously ain't so easy when you don't have David Milch writing (NSFW!) and directing.

I kinda doubt I'll hang around more than another episode or two. Deadwood didn't take this long to launch. If you watch the first episode of Deadwood it's astounding how much is packed in there.

11. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    David Milch has good ideas and storylines but I never liked his actual writing style, with either Deadwood or NYPD... The dialogue on those two shows was very similar and tedious. Although I would have enjoyed Sipowitz using some of Swearengen's vocabulary :)

As for this show, I'll keep watching for now. It's not great, it's not awful.

12. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    This is a better western than Walking Dead is a zombie show and I watch both so I'll keep watching.

I didn't mind the Indians speaking English as much as the domesticated Indian coming and going as he pleases between the white man and wherever the wandering Indians were. Is he using GPS or smoke signals to find them?

Bohannon's job interview was pretty good.

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    My take was they were speaking their native language, but the English was for our benefit. And I'd rather have that than subtitles...

14. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Yeah I'm not a big subtitle lover either, even if speaking native languages makes a show/movie more "authentic".

15. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    This was my thought as well, though I would prefer subtitles, but either way, I'm really enjoying this show.