Held Hostage By Reboots

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Bob Thayer, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Bob Thayer

Bob Thayer New Member

Mar 23, 2010

Advertisements

I have a Series 3 HD box that won't stop rebooting. I've contacted customer service about it numerous times.

Here's what we've done so far:

• HDD test - comes back perfect.
    • Cable Cards are fine. Had cable company open BRAND NEW.
    • Cable Cards are synched.
    • Signal strength is high. Maybe too high?
    • Switched Digital box works fine as far as I know.
    • Doesn't matter if the unit is plugged into the wall directly or into a power strip. (latest call had me try that)

Something's up with recording HD channels, and it's been this way for ~6 months. It lags (animations in Tivo Central slow/stop), slows while trying to change channels, pause Live TV, go into Tivo Central... ANYTHING I try to do involving the machine.

Last night it rebooted on its own while I had a program paused. I had it paused for about a minute.

With all the hardware issues I can check all coming back with no problems, I'm suspecting some sort of software update caused this but can't believe I'm the ONLY one this is happening to. We have never had a problem until this started, again, about 6 month ago. :mad:

2. stark

stark Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Eden...
    I have a Series 3 that was acting like that. All the diagnostic tests on the drive came up okay. I had the cable company replace a slightly flaky cable card.

It finally came down to replacing the harddrive. It's been running just fine since then.

3. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Streaming video does not put much stress on the hard drive but there are some drives, even media certified ones, that do not handle streaming well due to some defect that diagnostics can miss.

The symptoms you describe are are generally the hard drive (over 95% of the time) and that is where you should start. Given the low prices of drives I would replace the drive and go from there.

4. Bob Thayer

Bob Thayer New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Thanks guys!
    Even the TiVo tech I talked to today suggested I seek a HDD replacement kit through Weaknees! I'll order tonight.

5. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA

Advertisements

I swear, the first time I saw the title of this thread I thought it said "Held Hostage by Robots"! Turns out your situation wasn't as bad as I initially suspected.:D

6. Karl Childers

Karl Childers New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    A...
    Before ordering and replacing the hard drive, I would suggest taking another look at the signal strength. Series 3 platform TiVos seem to prefer signal strength running in the 80 - 93% range. Too much below 80% and you'll run into pixelation, stuttering video, and freezing issues. Too much above 93% (not counting transient peaks) and you can possibly experience macro-blocking and rebooting issues.

In short, if your signal strength is running above 93%, try attenuating your cable feed signal to the TiVo before ordering and replacing the hard drive.

What could it hurt to try? It may save you some money.