heavy bass causes severe audio compression, missing treble

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jigidyjim, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jigidyjim

jigidyjim New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Hello - I looked around and couldn't find anything - so here goes:

I have a TiVo series 3, using Comcast Cable Cards, connected to a Sony Bravia via HDMI. My problem is that when scenes feature music with a lot of bass, the audio becomes severely compressed and talking becomes almost inaudible. Examples: "The Killing" frequently features music that causes a pulsing like quality as the effect kicks in and turns off; there was a scene in the Social Network at a loud club that was completely unintelligible due to this.

The other key point to this problem is that it is relatively new. I've had this setup for maybe 3+ years. The audio problem only started maybe within the last 6 months.

Given that it is just started, the only guess I have is that Comcast changed something about their audio, and maybe the audio sounds fine through their boxes, but not through the cablecard-tivo-tv setup. But I have no idea how to go about debugging the problem or proving what is wrong.

Any advice? I think I'm going to try not using HDMI, and switch to a different output format, but its a hassle to rewire everything. But I'm pretty frustrated now so I guess that's what I have to do.

Thanks for your help.

2. jigidyjim

jigidyjim New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Ok - after reading around on a different forum, i found a very similar posting going from DVD player to Sony bravia - so I don't think it's the tivo.

My guess is that Comcast is now broadcasting more 5.1 sound than it used to, and the Bravia is not properly balancing that sound to get the dialog sounding good.

Thanks.

3. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Are you using the built-in speakers in your Bravia as your entire sound system? If so, there's your problem.

Most TVs don't have decent speakers. Ultra-thin flat panel displays have even less room for decent speakers than old CRTs and rear projection TVs had.

Get a decent pair of speakers, even something as small as bookshelf speakers, and a used stereo receiver. You should get far superior sound compared to a sound bar or worse yet the built in speakers in your Bravia.

If you check Craigslist and Goodwill you should be able to get a decent pair of speakers from JBL or Infinity and an older receiver from Denon or Yamaha for $100, maybe $200 total at the most. Your ears will thank you for it.:up::D

4. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    What this guy said - you need better speakers/amp combo. The bass is not causing audio compression but it's 'clipping' the top end of the audio spectrum off when the bass 'sucks' up the power.

5. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Go into the sound settings of your Bravia and play with the settings and see if that helps.
    I have a Sony NX810 worst speakers i have ever had the displeasure to have to suffer through. Outstanding PQ and lots of bells and whistles, the 3D is even good but the speakers seriously suck. I never use them and always use my H/T rig.