HEADSUP: VirginMedia customers: Possible software upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by ColinYounger, Jun 20, 2007.

1. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...

Advertisements

My Samsung VM box 'locked' today - meaning it wouldn't change channels or respond to the remote (even though the light flashed to show it was receiving the signals).

Hard rebooting the STB brought in a software update. My box always seems to do this when a software update is pending. I'm in the PO4 area if that matters.

Just posting in case others have something similar.

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yep. Got me too :( Damn! I had intended to go check it but forgot and now have missed "Neighbours". Like that really matters ;) Luckily "Working Lunch" is now usually on the VM 'Catch Up TV' service :)

3. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    And what exactly do you find so great about Working Lunch Carl?

4. britcub

britcub Bear with a TiVo

Jan 19, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Working Lunch is an excellent show for keeping up to date with the worlds of business and finance. Maybe for some it's a little dumbed down, for me it's a show where they talk to me in language I understand.

5. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...

Advertisements

What he said :) It's not something I'd miss if it weren't on and I don't always watch the whole thing, but there's usually something on most shows that interests me.

What's it to you anyway, what I do and don't watch? :(

6. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I just wondered what I was missing as I have only ever seen the program about twice.

I suppose I had better set up a Tivo SP to find out..................

Although I suspect the business about finding it a little dumbed down would probably apply to me as a Newsnight type.

7. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I've never really understood the term "dumbed down", but if it means "explained so I can understand it" then I'm all for it :)

8. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Think of The Sun vs The Times.

The Sun still reports the news after a fashion but is what many people would consider to be dumbed down.

Of course that probably doesn't include its million or so readers though. ;)

9. PaulWilkinsUK

PaulWilkinsUK Ohhh Yeah !

Mar 20, 2006
    Gloucestersh...
    Pete77. Of all people complaining at TCM the other day for off topic posting and blubbing to the Mods... really :rolleyes:

10. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    It was Carl that mentioned Working Lunch and not me.

There is a bit of a wonder off topic accidentally (as per Working Lunch), which tends to happen a lot and is not a big deal, and then there is a quite deliberate attempt to start a thread under one title with the ulterior motive of in fact having a personalised discussion about the absence from recent posting of just one forum member.

It is that kind of absolutely delibreate and blatant Off Topicness which no one can tolerate and which TCM would have probably been the first person to leap on had anyone else than him been the perpetrator.

11. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Did the upgrade give your boxes any new features or was it only a bug fix?

Automan.

12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Probably the latter, but then I don't use any of the other features much so I don't really know for sure :)