Heads up! Top Gear on BBCA!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TonyTheTiger, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Feb 7, 2011 #1 of 25
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Tonight at 9 eastern, the latest series of TG is being shown on BBCA. They are advertising back-to-back new episodes and the "full, uncut UK versions".

This is just 15 days after the UK airing.

2. Feb 7, 2011 #2 of 25
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    They had quite the discussion on Mexicans in episode 2. I wonder if they'll really not cut any of that out. I heard they got in a little trouble for that.

3. Feb 7, 2011 #3 of 25
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    They did! Resulting in the BBC having to apologize to the Mexican ambassador and entire Mexican population.

I was wondering if they'd show this too - especially here where there's a much larger Mexican community.

4. Feb 7, 2011 #4 of 25
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I have the original Ep 2 sitting on my TiVo awaiting viewing.

Saw the reports of the fallout, but didn't know why.

phox

5. Feb 7, 2011 #5 of 25
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Sorry, are reruns uncut, or just the first airings? (In another thread, I remember asking if they were uncut, and at that point, someone had said first airings, in a longer time slot, were uncut, but later showings were cut.)

If so, I'll try to catch first airings of future episodes, and watch the rest on netflix sometime in the future. (Though another reply claimed that even the netflix eps weren't uncut, since they were IIRC ~52 minutes.)

6. Feb 8, 2011 #6 of 25
    FireMen2003

FireMen2003 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I forgot to set my dvr for the new season.

I did catch episode 3 online though. Albania was interesting.

7. Feb 8, 2011 #7 of 25
    Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    A I was watching it, I knew they'd have to apologize to someone. I burn the show to DVD and give it to a coworker. I told him about it and that I bet they'd get in trouble. My coworker keeps up on Top Gear news and came back a day or two later saying they had to apologize. :)

8. Feb 8, 2011 #8 of 25
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Only the first two showings (per episode) are uncut. Remaining ones are 1 hour.

9. Feb 8, 2011 #9 of 25
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well... their "apology" basically amounted to "I'm sorry you guys got offended." Not much of an apology. The BBC essentially said that this was their normal type of comedy for the show, and that they should just relax.

(And for those who have been watching the show long enough, they're right. They've insulted just about every ethnic and socioeconomic group possible by this point, including themselves.)

10. BluesFools

BluesFools Active Member

Apr 5, 2000
    Apex, NC, USA
    As expected, BBCA cut out the Mexican references from the "un-cut" episode 2 shown tonight. And in this case I can't really blame them.

11. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    What and where was it cut? Watching tonight.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    It would've been a segment from the news during episode 2 ("The guys' Australian counterparts" as the guide refers to it).
    Immediately following the segment on the Ford Focus, they begin talking about a Mexican sports car. First, James May refers to it as "the Tortilla," a made up name after having conveniently forgotten the actual name of the car. Hammond then goes on a riff about how cars reflect national characteristics, then concludes by saying "Mexican cars are just going to be lazy, feckless, flatulent... leaning up against the fence asleep, looking at a cactus with a blanket with a hole in the middle as a coat."

James then picks up the riff, commenting about how Mexicans can't do food food either - "it's all sick, with cheese." "Refried sick is more like it," Hammond replies.

Later, Jezza insists that the Mexican ambassador won't complain, because he's just going to be leaning up against a wall asleep.

13. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Oh my. I can see how that might cause a few issues. About as racist a statement as I can imagine. Well, not quite as bad as Wilbur Mills, but damn close.

14. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Don't know when it starts on BBCA, but looks like season 17 started in the UK last night. So those that are willing to download might want to ... start your engines.

15. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched the show last night. Great to have the it back.

16. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Just watched the show on BBC2. I am absolutely astounded at the Top Gear production values and they have outdone themselves with this one. No US car show would spend even one-tenth what this show must have cost.

Also, I'll have to start looking for Alice Cooper around town.

And, I've decided to start saving up for an Eagle Speedster. Of course at £500,000 it may take a while. ;)

17. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I thought it was great. Sill can't believe what they did with the explosive. That was pretty radical.

18. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    That military vehicle segment had all kinds of great stuff. I loved the McDonald's drive thru bit. :)

19. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    I read the first post in this thread and just spent 15 minutes trying to find the new episode. Sigh.

20. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004