HDXL + PremierXL and 1 remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by webpc, Jul 14, 2011.

1. webpc

webpc New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I have a HDXL and PremierXL which I am wanting to bring together in one room, preferably under the control of 1 Harmony One remote.

I have tried configuring the HDXL remote (it has the 1-2 switch) per support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/284 to control both as well as following support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285 to control each with its own remote.

In both cases the PremierXL isn't keeping the remote address I configure it with. Instead when I go to change something on the HDXL the premier also responds. When I check the Premier's remote address I see it has changed to the one set for the HDXL. I then tried an old S2 remote I had laying around and the Premier changed itself to remote address 0. This is all without having to go through the process detailed in the support articles (the process in the articles does work on the Premier though)

I've contacted support but the rep just kept saying to follow the instructions in article support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285 (2 tivos and 2 remotes) and didn't understand/accept that the Premier was changing its address itself.

Anyone else seeing or can confirm this wierd behavior?

TIA
    Antony

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The only way a Tivo box will lose it's remote address after it has been properly set is if it receives remote signals while it is still displaying the "System Information" screen. After you set the address, exit out of the "System Info". Then cover the face of the unit, or do whatever else it takes, to prevent it from receiving remote signals as you program the remote addresses of other units.

Although my Premiere has been taken out of use, I have had up to 4 Tivos in the same room(presently just 3 Tivos now), and each and all responding properly to the appropriately propgrammed peanut remotes, and also a Harmony 659 universal remote. The Harmony controls each and every Tivo unit independently and properly.

If you are new to controlling multiple Tivos in the same room, it's probably going to take a little bit of getting used to sorting it out.

Good luck.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Take one of the TiVos out of the room.

Go to the system information screen on the other one.

Take the remote with the switch, slide the switch to 1, aim it at yourself, preferrably dark clothing.

Push and hold the TiVo button and the Pause button for a few moments, then release and confirm that the light on its front is still on.

Turn the remote's business end toward the TiVo, press your choice of digit from 1 to 9, then push the right arrow buttton.

Take that TiVo out of the room, bring the other back in, slide the switch to 2, do the same thing again but choose a different number from 1-9 this time.

Never have both TiVos with the system information screen up at the same time because a TiVo with the system information page open will reset its remote address to the address being used by any remote on which any button is pressed.

4. webpc

webpc New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Thnks dwit & unitron I didn't know that was an intended feature, tho imo its rather wierd!
    Antony

5. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's so you can have more than one TiVo in the same room.

JVC used to do something similar (but less sophisticated and versatile) with its VCRs.

6. webpc

webpc New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Sorry I know about the ability of being able to set different remote addresses. what I think is a bit 'wierd' is the process of holding the Tivo+pause button and then pressing the code you want to move it off 0 but thereafter ou can changes it by just going to the system settings and pointing any other tivo remote at it.

I used to think you had to go through the tivo+pause etc process everytime you wanted to change the remote address.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    [TiVo + Pause, number, right arrow] is how you tell the remote control what channel to be on.

You can do that without a TiVo around at all.

Having the TiVo on the System Info page, and maybe even back up the menu tree from that, I disremember, sets it so that it "imprints" the next remote address it sees.

A 0 address remote is supposed to control it even if it's set for another address and you aren't in the menus at all, but I can't remember if it resets the remote address in the TiVo to 0 or not. I also can't remember if the address stays on the hard drive in case of a swap, or if it stays with the motherboard.

8. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    It doesn't.