HDVR2 Reactivation From 1 Year Ago and No Phone Line

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gl999, Dec 31, 2006.

1. gl999

gl999 New Member

Dec 31, 2006

Advertisements

All,
    I am coming back to D*TV after 1 year of horrible cable service. I am activating one of my 2 HDVR2 boxes, they were only used for about 5 months before I shut them off. I now no longer have a phone line as I am on IP Telephony. Will this unit work without having a phone line? Will I need to do any setup again after I hook it up?

Any thoughts?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    There are many who have been able to use VOIP. If not in your case, then use a neighbor's phone for the initial activation. But, then it's possible that just a phone call to DirecTV will reactivate that unit. A phone line isn't needed after activation.

3. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC
    I also have an older unit, still active on my account, but it's been disconnected for months. I know for a fact the modem is dead. Is there a trick to getting past the initial dial in to reactivate the unit (had to clear/delete all), can CS do it, or am I toast????

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I don't know of a way to get around the need for the phone line for the activation call. If you hadn't done a CDE, you would have been ok.

My recollection is that the HDVR2 is not a "RID" device and as such, DirecTV will no longer activate one.

5. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC

Advertisements

hard drive failed, had to re-image. Thanks for your help!