HDVR2 Problem. 6.3? Due to dying 2nd tuner?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Beer Geek, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Beer Geek

Beer Geek New Member

Mar 14, 2007
    My "old" HDVR2 with a 1-year-old Weaknees 80GB HD has been acting odd since last night. It's stock otherwise, and I checked and it has loaded 6.3e. This is the one where the 2nd tuner has been on the fritz for a long time, and the usual solutions haven't fixed it.

I think 3 times in the past 24 hrs., you turn the set on and get just a black screen. Both the green light and record light are on. The remote doesn't respond at all- no guide, menu, or NPL. I've been pulling the plug and doing a hard reboot, which seems to get things going again.

Finally, in desparation, I re-ran guided setup and turned off the 2nd tuner. That was earlier this evening, and it still seems fine.

Any suggestions? I'm about to turn my house over to my MIL for a week, and she doesn't even get the peanut, much less re-booting the Tivo. Would like for it to work while we're gone, but even better to work and her not cancel all my recordings to watch something else (2nd tuner works on some channels, just not well on locals, basic extra stations- TNT, USA, etc.)

Thanks!!

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Was one of the usual solutions to the 2nd tuner problem the use composite instead of s-video?

3. Beer Geek

Beer Geek New Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Yes! I've done without S-video for over a year. See here for your previous assistance:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=360490

The first time the most recent problem occurred, the screen was grey/white (like the powering up screen), and had the "searching for signal on tuner 2" on the bottom. I re-booted, and the next AM the screen was black and the remote (and front panel buttons) wouldn't do anything. Re-booting that time and later when I turned on the set to find the same thing took care of the problem.

I've now re-done setup and turned off the 2nd tuner, and it's been working for 24 hours. I have a 2nd HDVR2 waiting for me to Instantcake and Zipper a drive for it. But it'd be good to figure out whether this one is finally, really toast for 2-tuner use.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Thanks.

4. Beer Geek

Beer Geek New Member

Mar 14, 2007
    FWIW, the black screen, no response to remote, and having to re-boot happened again while I was out of town. This is with the 2nd tuner disabled. Based on reading other recent posts, I guess this is a 6.3e issue. I may re-enable the 2nd tuner, unless I can get the spare unit up and running quickly.