HDVR2 loops back to powering on and will not boot

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bmwilli, Jul 20, 2007.

1. bmwilli

bmwilli New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Hi, I have an HDVR2. It shows the powering up screen...., then it shows the DirecTV screen with Just a few more minutes...., the screen flickers, then it goes back to the powering up screen.

I have taken out the 40gig HD, and viewed the partition map using mfslive, and it can read the hard disk, so it does not appear as though the HD has crashed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    That type of problem is still most likely a failing hard drive. If the power supply was bad, you wouldn't even get to the powering up screen.

3. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    Best thing to do is to download diagnostic software from the manufacturer's web page (Seagate's Seatools should do the trick) and confirm that its a bad hard drive before making any assumptions.

As previously stated, the most likely cause of such a failure (especially as you've described it) is a bad hard drive, but its best to actually diagnose the problem before taking any additional steps.

4. bmwilli

bmwilli New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Thanks all. For the record I will post how things have gone....

1) I was able to to do a back up of my harddisk (without recordings)

2) I ran all diagnostics from Seagate (it is a 40GB Maxtor), and they all passed

3) I restored the drive from my backup and tried to reboot TV........failed with same behavior

4) I performed a zero-write to the drive, and another restore....failed with same behavior

5) I downloaded Instantcake.....ran it on the original HD.......and it WORKED!!!

6) Could it be that the software/boot image on the disk became corrupt?

7) At this point, however, I am having trouble getting it to see the second 2 satellites.

Also, does anyone have the menu path to where the "clear and delete" option is?

Thanks again,

Brian

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    "Messages & Setup" -> "Restart or Reset System" -> "Clear and Delete Everything"

6. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Try using a composite video cable out to the tv out instead of the s-video cable.