Hdvr2 + 6.3 = Fubar?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by descentr, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1 of 55
    descentr

descentr New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Bartlett, TN

Advertisements

I awoke this morning with a not so pleasant surprise. At first I thought my TV had bitten the dust. Fortunately it is ok. Unfortunately, the #1 production hardware/application in my house was not working. My HDVR2 appeared to be on, but there was no signal to the tv (unless black screen is a signal). Wouldn't respond to the remote or buttons on the front panel. Unplugged it from the UPS, waited, plugged it back in, all is good.

Hours later, watching tv. The picture disappears and I see that the Tivo has decided to reboot itself. *sigh* Minutes later, signal restored, all is good. I did notice some artifacts popping up today, which I rarely ever see, and it happened several times during one movie. When it was over and I was watching other channels, I didn't notice any more artifacting, so maybe it was localized to that channel or LNB?

Hours later, come home from dinner, and o'le black screen is back. Box won't respond, just as before. Unplug, reboot, all is good.

The only "hack" I have on this unit is an upgraded drive from weaknees.

I do not know when I got the 6.3 "upgrade," but this thing has been rock solid for years until today. I have read others are having problems, but most seem to be with different units and they are having different issues than I am. I am just wondering if it is just a coincidence or if the patch is to blame for this behavior? If the patch is indeed to blame, is there any info on a patch to the patch?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Sep 8, 2007 #2 of 55
    Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I'd recommend calling Directv to voice your complaints. The problems you describe sound more like a hard drive failure to me.

3. Sep 8, 2007 #3 of 55
    rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    I have 6.3e running on Multiple machines, It runs fine, even upgraded channel icons. I think you are blaming Directv for your failure to maintain your hardware!

4. Sep 9, 2007 #4 of 55
    descentr

descentr New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Bartlett, TN
    I installed the drive from weaknees about 6 months ago. I keep tabs on the temp (47-50C), and the unit has been on an APC UPS since it was installed. Not sure what else I could have done to maintain the unit. The GXCEBOT I have is much older and I did that upgrade myself using hinsdale's guide way back when. It is still purring along on that replacement samsung drive now since December of 2002.

Thanks for your constructive comments though...

Mike

5. Sep 9, 2007 #5 of 55
    descentr

descentr New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Bartlett, TN

Advertisements

Definitely not what I wanted to hear. One thought on the artifacts, it was cloudier today than I realized and we got several small storms to roll through. That could explain away that particular symptom, but it still leaves me with the black screen and rebooting.

Thanks for your input. I may try calling them, though If I do I will probably end up trading up to an HD unit. ;)

Mike

6. jimbop99

jimbop99 Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Kentuciana
    I've had the same problems with the black screen and the rebooting, but my Hughes has actually been behaving for the last week. I had the problems right after the software install but, like I said, it has been OK lately (crossing fingers). I hope yours clears up too.

7. kalex

kalex New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Seattle
    There are at least two other threads going on this forum about reboots after 'upgrading' to 6.3. Some people have no problems, some have big problems. Mine is somewhere in between, it reboots about once a day, sometimes less, sometimes more. One guy has a unit that reboots every 15 minutes. All 3 of his are doing it. We have two and they're both doing it. The only way that I know it rebooted sometimes is because my 30 second skip disappears, but most of the time it does it while I'm watching something. The other unit isn't used much, so we can only tell by the missing 30 second skip.

Please do call, if they don't get enough complaints, they won't acknowledge the problem, and it won't get fixed.

8. descentr

descentr New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Bartlett, TN
    Well, since posting, it hasn't "black screened" again. Can't say whether or not it has rebooted though as we aren't watching it all the time. I have read other threads where people said they were having problems and then it "stabilized" after a couple of weeks. Most of those threads were on different models and with different symptoms though. Still, like you, my fingers are crossed.

Thanks for your input,
    Mike

P.S. Kalex, I posted in another thread here too. I sent DirecTv an email detailing my symptoms and asked if they were acknowledging any issues with the 6.3 patch. The bulk of their response was:

"Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your HDVR2 receiver. Based on my research, I found no known issues reported yet regarding our most recent software download. However, we've found simply resetting your receiver will often restore your service."

followed with instructions on how to reset the system.

9. SASouth

SASouth Member

Jun 5, 2004
    I don't think you're having hardware failure. You're not the only one experiencing these issues.

I've got a HDVR2 and DSR-704 that are both locking up at a black screen. All of this happened after a 6.3e upgrade. The HDVR2 got the upgrade two weeks before the DSR-704 got it. Almost immediately after getting the upgrade, the HDVR2 started locking up while the DSR-704 continued to work fine. Soon after the DSR-704 got the upgrade it started locking up too.

I find it extremely unlikely that both of my Tivos would develop a hardware problem within a couple of weeks of each other and then only after both received the 6.3 upgrade.

10. Beer Geek

Beer Geek New Member

Mar 14, 2007
    FWIW, the exact same thing has happened to my HDVR2 a few times now. Glad to hear I'm not the only one, since the responses I got a couple of weeks ago didn't really acknowledge this was going on.

11. scopus

scopus Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Xenia, Ohio
    Put me down for a "me too" on the black screen/no remote response/reboot issues. I have two units but only one has been acting up, DSR7000. I guess it could be a harddrive problem (no hacks but I do have two drives in it with weaknees mount/fan). I'll give it a few more days to see if it clears up, I'm hoping so.

12. Duffycoug

Duffycoug New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Add me to the list.....3 TIVOS running flawlessly before the upgrade, now all three are rebooting constantly and I even traded one in for an R15 before I realized it was a software problem....shame.

13. rwilliams

rwilliams New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    September 8th was when my Philips 704 went down and never came back. I had programs I needed that night to record, so I grabbed my old DSR 6000 and put it in action, and disconnected the 704. This was a un-modified unit - no added drives, no hacks, nothing. Now, I've been in the process of upgrading the drive in order to get the unit to work again, but I just came across this post, and realize I'm not alone.

This P!55es me OFF!

Makes me wish they would give you an OPTION to receive updates. (actually, I don't know if they do or not). But why fix something that's not broke.

14. scopus

scopus Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Xenia, Ohio
    As I stated earlier, I had been experiencing the blank screen freeze and reboots since the last software update. A reboot usually fixed things for awhile. Well, Sunday morning I awoke to the "Welcome. Powering up..." screen and it stayed there for hours. I put the original drive that I saved back in the unit and everything is working. Although the software version is 3.xx, man I had forgotten how slow the menu and functions were back then. So I guess the harddrives were going bad. Have a new 500gb drive on the way but not sure I'm going to put 6.3 on it. I think I have a 6.2 image around here somewhere.

15. rock_doctor

rock_doctor resU deretsigeR

Oct 22, 2000
    Unfortunately, somebody posted in the other thread that they reloaded the drive with the 6.2 software, left it unplugged from the phone and it still updated to 6.3.

The pixelation is a new thing. I have also been seeing this on my units and the dish is clear and signal quality is rock solid. Call and complain, they need to know how wide spread the problem is... I just don't understand why the last couple updates have been a problem. Nobody knows the units better then TiVo.?.?.?.

mark

16. Duffycoug

Duffycoug New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Why would you draw the conclusion that the harddrive was bad, when in fact you stated that the harddrive that is working is using the older software...LOL....doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever floats your boat I guess....seems much more likely that the software is the cause of the thousand of simultaneous problems we are all having, rather than an epidemic of thousands of harddrives going bad within a two week span that just so happened to coincide with the latest software release on those units.....common sense.

17. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    "Welcome. Powering up" is a rom based message and the only one prior to disk spin-up and the first disk read. If the disks fail to read it may mean the disks have slowed down over time and are no longer performing within specifications. Remember Maxtor used to do ATA133 drives, and now are doing ATA100 drives, just like people as drives get old they slow down. It may be time to replace the small older drives with Larger capacity drives.

18. Duffycoug

Duffycoug New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Yes, they all got "old" within the same two week period when DTV rolled out the new software.....while I understand what you're saying, and I would believe this to be the case if it were an isolated event...there is NO WAY thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of the same kind of units hard drives went bad in the same two week period....I'm no computer genius, but that sounds completely unrational to me.

19. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Remember Directv has over 3 million Tivo customers, the average life of a disk running 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year is 4 years. Tivo stopped manufacturing fo Directv 3 years ago. A couple hundred failures is really less than average out of three Million.

20. Duffycoug

Duffycoug New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Again, you either do not have one of the units that are being effected, or you have one that is not running 6.3e software....otherwise, you'd clearly recognize the problem and there would be no question in your mind that it was the software release. Many, many, many poster have written that they have CHANGED their hard drives only to have the exact same problem once the unit downloads the 6.3e software....just read the threads and you'll see that fact.

Funny thing, there goes yet another "Welcome. Powering up...." right in the middle of the Chisox/Royals game....ya gotta love DTV and the way they ignore glaring problems.