HDVR2 6.2 - simplest way to update USB for Linksys USB200rev2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by botcher, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Sep 2, 2006 #1 of 34
    botcher

botcher New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I just read the forums for about 2 hours.....

Is there an easy way to simply telnet or serial into the HDVR2 and edit/add some files to support the Linksys USB200rev2?

My current 1.1 Belkin USB adapter seems quite slow. I would like to switch to a 2.0 adapter. BTW, Staples has the USB200ver2 for $19.99 this week. No ver.1's to be found after hitting four staples I passed while traveling for business this week.

I don't need some of the other items in the automated scripts. Likewise, I like the idea of learning what I am editing. And not being suprised by conflicts that may result from running a script that may clash with what the PTV 6.2 network cd did.

But it's almost 2am here, and I'm fried from reading and bouncing from link to link! So any advice for a simple fix would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Botch

2. Sep 2, 2006 #2 of 34
    rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You need to do two things:
    1. FTP Jamie's latest backported drivers to your Tivo and install them.
    2. Modify the /etc/hotplug/usb.map to include an entry for the usb200m.

3. Sep 2, 2006 #3 of 34
    botcher

botcher New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Will the "usbmap.sh" script do all of this, or just modify/update the entries in usbmap?

If it only updates the usbmap, where can I find the backported drivers? I tried to search the forum and also scanned a good amount of the "hacking the series 2" thread for "backported drivers" with no luck.

If I were to manually edit the usbmap file, where can I find the data to enter for the USB200ver2?

Thanks
    Botcher

4. Sep 2, 2006 #4 of 34
    rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The usbmap.sh script only modifies the entries in usb.map. Do a title search on DDB for "backport" and "drivers". The data to enter for the USB200ver2 is in that post.

5. Sep 2, 2006 #5 of 34
    botcher

botcher New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Ok, It's been a few years since I did much Linux stuff with my Series 1 Dtivos, but it is slowly coming back to me........

I successfully edited usb.map to contain the USB200 ver2 entry. BTW, VI is a PITA. I need to see if there is another editor such as joe or similar on this Instantcake installation!

Now, looking in my /lib/modules directory, I have an ax8817x.o file, but no usbnet.o file. So, I am thinking I need to do the following:

1. FTP/copy the usbnet.o file to the /lib/modules directory from the usbobj4.27 zip distro
    2. Enter "ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o" to link them
    3. Reboot

Is the linking of the two files just adding expanded date to the original ax file without actually replacing it? Just curios why the link rather than a new file alltogether?

Next, should I also replace the pegasus.o file while I am at it to improve performance of my older USB1 device in case I decide to use it again in the future?

Also, to I need to do any of the insmod or mount/remount command stuff, or are the files good to go as is?

I just want to be sure so a few minute task doesn't create a disaster that will take a day to clean up. I am a hardware person more than a software person. I can troubleshoot and repair the hardware to component level, but this code stuff is like trying to learn morse code all over again!

Thanks
    Botcher

6. Sep 2, 2006 #6 of 34
    rpdre1

rpdre1 New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    you also need to replace usbcore.o with the backport usbcore.o (\usb-2.4.27\obj\hosts\2.4.20_Series2\usbcore.o)

make sure you delete (or rename) the stock ax8817x.o in /lib/modules before making the symlink, or use this:

ln -sf usbnet.o ax8817x.o

that will force ln to replace the original file with a symlink.

Noooooooooooooooooo, the backport pegasus.o will break networking with 6.2.... stay with the stock pegasus.o.

7. Sep 3, 2006 #7 of 34
    botcher

botcher New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    HELP!

I just wasted four hours going back and forth on the serial bash connection.

I removed the following from /lib/modules:
    usb-storage.o
    usbnet.o
    usb-ohci.o
    ehci-dummy.o
    usbcore.o
    ax8817x.o

I then used hyperterm and uploaded the following into the /lib/modules directory:

FROM drivers/2.4.20:
    usbnet.o
    usb-storage.o
    FROM hostst/2.4.20_series2:
    ehci-dummy.o
    usb-ohci.o
    usbcore.o

I then entered:
    ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o

Tried it a few times, but no luck getting the Linksys USB200Ver2 to work.

I notice that the new files are dated 12-26-2005 , but after restarting the unit, the dates are going back to the original file dates of 8-27-2006.

Any suggestions what to check or try next?

Also, how can I change the startup process to set bash to 115200 rather than 9600 baud?

Thanks
    Botcher

8. Sep 3, 2006 #8 of 34
    botcher

botcher New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Also, at the bash prompt I try to enter ipconfig to see what the status is, but I get back "command not found"

Do I need to be in a certain directory for this to work?

9. Sep 3, 2006 #9 of 34
    rpdre1

rpdre1 New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    check your PMs

10. botcher

botcher New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    For what its worth, here is a screen dump during boot process:

usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    PCI: 00:0d.2 PCI cache line size set incorrectly (0 bytes) by BIOS/FW, correctin
    g to 32
    ehci_hcd 00:0d.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 0.95,
    hub.c: USB hub found
    hub.c: 5 ports detected
    usb.c: EHCI initialization succeeded
    usb.c: registered new driver usbnet
    usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xb4000000, IRQ 5
    usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0d.0, PCI device 1033:0035
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
    hub.c: USB hub found
    hub.c: 3 ports detected
    hub.c: new USB device 00:0d.2-1, assigned address 2
    usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x13b1/0x18) is not claimed by any active driver.

usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xb4001000, IRQ 3
    usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xb4001000, IRQ 3

11. rpdre1

rpdre1 New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    try removing

ehci-dummy.o
    usb-ohci.o

you only need usbcore.o and usbnet.o

12. botcher

botcher New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Well, after many wasted hours, I finally found the problem/solution to get the Linksys USB200M ver.2 adapter to work on my HDVR2.

The directions posted on the various forums were partially correct, but the problem was related to the fact I had a PTV Net 6.2 installation. If you are using a PTV Net 6.2 installation, this may be the solution to your newer network adapter troubles as well.

The PTV Net installation uses flags to determine whether to utilize drivers and modules for USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 upon booting of the DTIVO. There is a script in the /init folder called 011_USB.init that is called during the boot process.

What the script does is as follows:

IF the USB 2.0 flag is set to ON - it copies files from a folder called /ptvupgrade/modules/usb_ddb

IF the USB 2.0 flag is set to OFF - it copies files from a folder called /ptvupgrade/modules/usb_orig

AND THEN places these copied files into the /lib/modules directory, which is what the startup process references to load the USB port and network adapter drivers upon a bootup.

If you made the same mistake I did, you simply went and deleted the original driver files from the /lib/modules directory, then FTP'ed the newer backport versions into the folder, as this is how multiple posts instruct. The problem, however, is that with a PTV Net 6.2 installation, the boot process will always overwrite them due to the 011_USB.init script.

The fix, and correct method, to make your newer adapter such as the Linksys USB200 ver.2, work with a series 2 DTIVo is as follows:

1. cd to /ptvupgrade/modules/usb_ddb

2. mkdir /ptvupgrade/modules/usb_ddb/origmodules

3. move the following files from /ptvupgrade/modules/usb_ddb to /ptvupgrade/modules/usb_ddb/origmodules
    echi.dummy.o
    usb-ohci.o
    usb-storage.o
    usbcore.o
    usbnet.o
    ax8817x.o
    (above step is for backup purposes only; delete steps 2&3 if you wish)

Make sure they are completely removed from the /ptvupgrade/modules/usb_ddb directory at this point.

4. Obtain the newer backported files from the forums.

5. cp (copy) the following newer backported files into the /ptvupgrade/modules/usb_ddb folder:
    echi.dummy.o
    usb-ohci.o
    usb-storage.o
    usbcore.o
    usbnet.o
    ax8817x.o

6. type the following:
    ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o (this will create a new ax8817.0 sym link)

7. cd to the directory /etc/hotplug

8. Edit usb.map to add and entry for your new adapter. For example, for the Linksys USB200M ver.2, enter the following under the ax8817x section:
    product 13b1 0018 Linksys USB200M ver.2

9. Reboot the DTIVO

The above procedure/process will allow you to retain the ability to switch between USB1 and USB2.0 as before by utilizing the PTV flags feature. Each time the unit boots, it looks at the flags, and copies the necessary files from the storage directories (/ptvupgrade/modules) to the actual working directory (/lib/modules).

You could modify the 011_USB.init script and just stay fixed with the 2.0 drivers in the /ib/modules directory, but I decided to retain the functionality of the PTV installation as it was intended, just updated for the newer adapters.

I hope this post saves some of you the hours I wasted reading, searching, and pulling my hair out!

On another note, if you are using the Instantcake and PTVNet installations, and decide to install Superpatch67, do it from the telnet session and not a serial bash session, otherwise you will not be able to properly access the tivoapp during the installation process, resulting in errors. Bash access is somewhat restricted.

Botcher

13. bigcrabass

bigcrabass New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Botcher,

Many thanks for the above post!
    I am persuing the same path as you on the 200m V2. There are numerous backport files posted on the DDB. I want to make sure I am using the latest ones that you used. Where can I find the driver file that you used above. What is the specific date and name of the file containing the latest drivers? Thanks for your help.
    Bill

14. botcher

botcher New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Search the DDB forum for the following zip file.

usbobj-4.27-20051226

I believe it is under the post titled "Backport drivers" or similar. I'm not sure how to attach the file here, otherwise I would do so. The files are dated 12/26/2005.

Make sure you use the ones from the 2.4.20 folders, and use "Series 2" for the host files.

15. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    The latest version is always linked from the very first post in the development thread. The latest version is dated 20060902.

16. botcher

botcher New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the update, Jamie.

I'll update my HDVR2 with the newer versions this evening.

Botcher

17. bigcrabass

bigcrabass New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Thanks Botcher, I will look there...

18. botcher

botcher New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Jamie,

I tried to replace the following with the new 20060902 version files:

echi.dummy.o
    usb-ohci.o
    usb-storage.o
    usbcore.o
    usbnet.o

No luck. The USB200MV2 is not able to obtain a lease from my router. Here is what it is doing:

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp-contrib.html

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:13:10:5e:83:bb
    Sending on LPF/eth0/00:13:10:5e:83:bb
    Sending on Socket/fallback/fallback-net
    DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
    ApgManager Transition from state BOOT to FAST_LOAD
    ApgManager Transition from state FAST_LOAD to FAST_LOAD
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 16
    ApgManager Transition from state FAST_LOAD to STEADY_STATE
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
    No DHCPOFFERS received.
    Trying recorded lease 192.168.1.102
    PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
    1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Reverted back to the 12262005 version files, and all is well again:
    DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
    ApgManager Transition from state BOOT to FAST_LOAD
    ip length 314 disagrees with bytes received 534.
    accepting packet with data after udp payload.
    DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
    bound to 192.168.1.104 -- renewal in 43200 seconds.

Any ideas?

19. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Looks like when I added suport for the DUB-E100 B1 I made some changes that broke the usb200m v2. There are enough devices out there that it is getting tedious for me to test every combination of device and options, so I guess I got lazy and didn't test the usb200m with dhcp again.

For now, please revert back to the version that worked for you (200512260). Hopefully I can get a fix out in the next day or so.

20. botcher

botcher New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    No problem. More of a sanity check to make sure I didn't do something wrong. I'll try again once you post the fixed version, and report back again.

Thanks
    Botcher