HDTV cable box and tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chicagocat, Jan 23, 2006.

1. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Will I need a different type of cable to go from an highdef cable box to my tivo box?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You would use an S-Video and left/right audio cables. But I strongly recommend renting a second, standard-def cable box for the Tivo to use, as you will otherwise compromise your use of the HD box for viewing HD.

3. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Thanks for your reply.

Also...I can't seem to reach the point where I'm prompted to enter or change my remote code. How do I get there? Thanks.

4. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    It's not a guided-setup thing. The manual will walk you through it. Follow the directions carefully.

5. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Well...I finally got to where I was able to try different codes and none of them worked.

Would my luck improve if I switched from IR blaster to the serial input?

Any suggestions?

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Only a few cable boxes work with serial. What make and model cable box do you have?

7. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    I'm using a Motorola DCT6200. Since that's a fairly common model, I'd think there wouldn't be compatability problems with it.

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    See this thread for codes to use. I don't see that serial is an option.

9. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Got the ir lined up, input the recommended code...and still no luck.

Just to be sure, the remote sensor is just to the left of the time/channel led display on
    the Motorola DCT6200, right?

Has anyone encountered this channel-changing problem and is there a solution?

10. captainstabbins

captainstabbins New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I have the Motorola 6200 box. I have the ir remote on the the right side of the clock. Also to fix the IR changing problem I disabled the 3 numbers than enter code. Currently if you put in just 2 the box turns to 2. I have not had a missed show yet because of the channel not changing.

11. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "I disabled the 3 numbers than enter code."

Please explain.
    Thanks.

12. captainstabbins

captainstabbins New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Using a comcast box. Go to main menu. In the main menu ther is a menu item showing as Auto Tune. Once I did that if I want to turn the channel to channel 6 I just hit 6 and it switched to that. Before I had to do 006 (enter) Works like a charm.

13. Mamoth

Mamoth New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    I have the same cable box. I had to set mine to the slowest setting for channel changing to get it to work correctly (along with the no enter thing already mentioned).

14. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Thanks for your help! I finally got things working.