HDTV antenna with HDTivo & Terk

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ronpp, Jan 9, 2006.

1. ronpp

ronpp Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Virginia...
    I am researching and hopefully moving from a couple of tivo's to an HDTV set up and a nice plasma. I have my lines going to a terk multiswitch with 5 lines out, 2 tivo's and a single to another tv. To grab the local HDTV broadcasts with an antenna in the roof, can the coax for the antenna be ran into the UHF in on the terk and than spliced out from a tivo line at the tv? Or do I need to run another line <sigh> through the walls just for the OTA antenna? Thanks!

2. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    You probably have a 5 input, 8 output, Terk multiswitch. The 5th input is for an OTA antenna. The OTA will appear on every output line. However, you have to put a dilpexer on each line that you want to see OTA.

You put the diplexer, which splits the satellite and OTA signals, on 1 line at each location that you want OTA. The diplexer ihas 2 outputs (marked) 1 for Sat and 1 for antenna (OTA).

3. Maddod-99

Maddod-99 New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    assuming you have the Terk 55 antenna (omnidirectional, powered) there is an important note on the Diplexers you must use on the box side:

Must be a DC passing only on the satellite side.

Diplexers come 3 ways:
    no power passing
    passing on both sides
    passing on sat side only.

That is what you want

4. ronpp

ronpp Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Virginia...
    Awesome, makes it so much easier. Thanks for the advice.