HDR on Bolt and Edge.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tommage1, Dec 12, 2020.

1. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

Got one of those $290 lifetime Edge to play with. Seems to be working ok. I have a 4K HDR capable TV. Now here is the thing, I hook up the Edge directly to the TV since I don't have a 4K receiver (I use optical for audio). When I go to the Edge input on TV info screen comes up, says 2160P AND HDR10. So is working. My Bolt, hooked up same way, has always showed 2160P and "normal", not HDR10. Settings all the same, even tried same input/cable. So my question is, for anyone with an HDR TV, does your TV actually recognize HDR setting on Bolt? For me yes for Edge, no for Bolt. HDR settings on Bolt and Edge are "auto" for HDR (it's either auto or off), auto for resolution (4K), input setting on TV are "HDR on". And like I said, even tried same cable and input on TV. Either my Bolt is defective or it does not work, at least on my TV.

Another interesting observation about the Edge (it's OTA). With Roamios and Bolt the signal strength is brought down to 72 no matter how strong the signal. The Edge does not do that, shows full signal strength. Some in 80s, some even as high as low 90s (Premiere was/is like that too). With the 72 it's pretty much rock solid, never varies from 72 (probably because the actual signal strength is well over 72). With the Edge it does bounce around, maybe 4 points. So not sure which is better. One person said they get tiling with Roamio even with full 72. They say the Edge is better, I don't notice much difference though have not done a load of testing.

2. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Looks like the Bolt is *supposed* to support HDR10 if it's running the TiVo Experience 4 ("Hydra") software. Is yours?

Tivo Customer Support Community

3. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes it is. Am curious if anyone else has the same "problem" with a Bolt. It's a white one by the way, original 500GB 4 tuner type. I did not even know I HAD the problem til I got the Edge, had never seen the TV report HDR10 with any device (only 4K devices I have are the Edge and Bolt.) Saw the 2160P, figured that was it. I see very little difference in picture by the way, even though they are both running OTA the best I get is 1080i uncompressed MPEG2, I don't stream with them. CBS the best, still a bit over 6GB per hour for recordings.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  4. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Only other thing I could think to test would be "borrow" a family members Netflix account. Does Netflix have any actual 4K programming that could be streamed? My cables are the current best available by the way, supposed to be 8K Ultra high speed 48Gbps. Got them from Monoprice, they are pretty reliable spec/quality wise.

5. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

Actually the problem may be with the Edge. When I have HDR set to "auto", the TV shows HDR10 but the picture is very washed out. If I turn HDR off on the Edge the TV shows "normal" but the picture is way better. With the Bolt HDR auto or off makes no difference, TV shows normal for both settings and the picture is the same. Probably need to stream some actual 4K content to really test, right now all I have is upconverted OTA TV shows.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Amazon Video requires no signup or $$$ to watch a trailer for its movies.

tommage1 likes this.
  7. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Why would you turn hdr on to watch upconverted non hdr content? Doesn't help to troubleshoot a problem with content that doesn't apply to the problem.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

8. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Does Amazon show its trailers in 4k?

And I'm sure YouTube has 4k hdr content. Been a while so I forget if YouTube was on tivo.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I didn't have 4K until recently, so I need to check. I think I'll try it. You don't happen to have a title?

I can check YouTube. Thanks.

10. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Just search for 4k hdr. You'll probably get quite a few hits.

11. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Hey thanks very much :) Here is a bit of results. With Bolt, I have HDR turned on and 4K output. TV set to HDR on for input. Info screen on TV for Bolt shows 2160P and "normal" (not HDR10). Playing a recording, menus or live TV shows the same. Tried Amazon video. Searched for HDR and played some trailers for HDR/UHD/4K movies. While doing so the TV input info no longer shows 2160P, it shows 1080P. Still "normal". Not sure the trailers are actually 4K or they just show the 1080P versions. No breakup in stream, if really 4K I think there would be as my DSL is only about 5Mbps (fastest can get here). Inconclusive I guess, or my Bolt does not output 4K with streaming, not even upconverting? Or something with the Bolt/TV model interaction. Will test Edge later and post results.

Thanks for info, this will be fun regardless.

Oh for now i have tried the supposedly 4K trailers of Avengers, Spectre and John Wick 3.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I used my Mini VOX. But even though it shows 4k, I don't know if my TV's Info button will display HDR or DV. It's a cheap TV. I had no problem just searching for HDR10 on Amazon or YouTube. The picture quality was outstanding though. When I use the apps in my TV (Sony Android) the Info button stops working.

13. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Did the original 4 tuner bolt do hdr? Was it a firmware upgrade or did it always have hdr?

14. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Tested the Edge with same trailers. With HDR "auto" on the Edge the info screen on the TV shows 2160P and HDR10. But picture looks washed out, same as watching recordings and live TV. If I turn off HDR on the Edge it says 2160P and "normal". But the picture looks fine. Streaming results seem the same as watching recordings/live TV, I thought streaming actual 4K HDR content might make a difference but no.

So, seems my original Bolt does not stream 4K or even up convert streaming content to 4K. Since the TV info screen shows 1080P when I stream those trailers. 2160P (up converted of course) when watching recordings/live Tivo. TV info screen with Edge always shows 2160P, streaming or watching TV/recordings, HDR on or off. But when HDR on picture is kind of faded. Even trying to change TV picture settings manually does not work (like setting to vivid), as soon as start watching something it fades again. Turning HDR off on the Edge gets the picture back to "normal"

This test depends somewhat on if the trailers for the 4K HDR movies are actually 4K. I am doubtful since they did not break up with my 5Mbps DSL. I will search for some 4K content on You Tube I guess.

15. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Well I don't know if it actually does, even now. Since when streaming my TV info screen shows only 1080P. I remember someone who had an original Bolt told me they bought a Vox so they could get 4K. I told them it was a TE4 thing, original would do 4K. But maybe not. Too bad I don't have a black Bolt/Vox to try.

16. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Well the setting is either off or "auto". Auto is recommended. It is supposed to sense if the TV is capable of HDR, and I assume if the content is HDR. I don't think I want to be constantly changing the setting based on what I am watching, unless there seems to be issues.

17. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I found some 4K videos on You Tube. With the original Bolt (on TE4, HDR setting on "auto") it still shows only 1080P on my TV info screen when streaming them. So I guess the original white Bolt does not do 4K streaming, no matter what I stream it shows 1080P on the TV info screen and "normal" not HDR10. The Edge shows 2160P, HDR10 if I have Edge HDR setting on auto, 2160P "normal" if I have Edge HDR setting off. My question is this, one of the selling points of the original white Bolt was 4K capability. Seems does not stream 4K or even up convert streaming to 4K. So the only 4K capability of the original Bolt would be up converting recordings/live TV to 4K or if you could find an actual broadcast in 4K. I don't know of any actual 4K broadcasts OTA or with my local cable company.

18. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    tommage1 likes this.
  19. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I did ONE more test. Free Tubi TV has some 4K videos, fireplaces and some nature videos. Tried them with the Bolt. And actually got 2160P according to my TV info screen. Not sure why the Amazon 4K trailers and the You Tube 4K videos say 1080P on the Bolt. No HDR10 displayed on TV for the Tubi videos, in fact when I searched for HDR at Tubi got no results. But it seems the white Bolt CAN stream 4k, at least from Tubi. Someone with a white Bolt and subscription to some of these services could probably find out more.

20. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    That explains a lot. Seems with Edge if HDR set to "auto" it automatically upconverts to HDR if TV capable (would explain why my manual adjustments to TV picture don't work, just reverts when I start playing something.) Ted says he suggested another setting which would make it similar to Bolt. But they must not have done it. Well my tests are done, unless I ever actually subscribe to one of the pay services. Thanks for info!