HDML-Cloner Box Pro standalone video capture device.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nrnoble, Oct 3, 2020.

1. nrnoble

nrnoble Active Member

Aug 25, 2004

Advertisements

Anyone have experience using the HDML-Cloner Box Pro or something similar to capture HD Video (1920x1080p) from a HDMI sources such as Tivo, Bluray, DVD, Roku, Apple TV, FireTV, Gaming Consoles, etc.

I am looking to buy such device to occasionally record streaming apps, but also backup my movie collection that is on BluRay, DVD, LaserDisc (and even some very old VHS) to my Plex server for quick and easy access. Especially my LaserDisc movies because I have several movies on LD that are out of print.

2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    The game capture devices I am familiar with only work with an HDMI source that does not have HDCP copy protection implemented, which would eliminate TiVos, BluRays, Roku, Apple TV, FireTV and VHS players.

The usual way around this problem is to get an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP and put it between the source and the capture device.

3. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I have a previous generation product that I bought from that company four years ago. It's collecting dust now, but when I did use it, it did what I needed it to do. Depending on the source material, it may be reencoding an encoded source so don't expect the best quality. This HDMI splitter worked for me, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with my older TV. I never tried it on a newer TV. It's fine for occasional use as I recall lots of manual effort involved starting and stopping recordings.

nrnoble likes this.
  4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You can just rip the video content from a Bluray or DVD on a computer with various software and a Bluray drive and make it available to watch with Plex. You could exploit the analog hole in Roamios and Premieres and send the content of various streaming apps to a video capture device on a computer to save the output to a file that would be available to watch with Plex and you can do the same with a laserdisc player.

5. nrnoble

nrnoble Active Member

Aug 25, 2004

Advertisements

Yes my research into HDMI video capture has limitations because of HDCP, and the hack-around is to use a splitter. Many splitters enforce HDCP on all out ports, but several splitters coming out of China will pass-through the signal on the second HDMI port if the first port does a valid HDCP handshake.

Well I went ahead and ordered the HDML Cloner Box Pro from amazon, so I will know sometime next week if it is able to do what I need it to do.

6. nrnoble

nrnoble Active Member

Aug 25, 2004
    For those that are interested in HD stream capture using valid Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions, there is AnyStream (Same devs that created AnyDVD). They have a 21 day trial that seems to work pretty well. Its capturing and decrypting the native stream, its not screen capturing nor compressing. Like BluRay, a single movie file can be quite large, but it can be recompressed with using other software.

7. nrnoble

nrnoble Active Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Well the HD Clonerbox Pro works as advertised.

Pros:
    • If you can output the video (HDMI, PC-VGA, component, composite) , it can can capture it.
    • Easy and quick to setup.
    • Standalone HD video capture; does not require a computer.
    • Ignores HDCP. It will record from any streaming source without the need of a splitter to bypass HDCP. I tested Hulu, Nextflix, Amazon, HBOMax, CBS All Accesses. No problems, no errors using a firecube, Tivo, and Roku.
    • Capture quality looks as good the original. Have to ability to control bitrate
    • Small size, No noise.
    • Comes with all the required parts and cables (except batteries for remote)
    • Has computer software for editing. (download only)
    • Connect up external HDD of any size of your choice (NTFS,FAT32).
    • live 24x7 chatt support. My one session went well and they answered my question. No waiting on hold for 25 minutes to be told to reboot everything.
    Cons:
    • Cheap (Chinese) construction materials (ie plastic). Nothing fancy. Far below Apple, Samsung quality standards.
    • Extremely clunky UI. Looks like something from 10+ years ago. Not intuitive. Sucks!
    • Remote is as cheap as they come, but at least they have one.
    • No batteries with remote.
    • default File names are extremely long (32 characters) and the files names all appear on screen with the same name (truncated after 12 characters). This really sucks
    • Slightly expensive for the over quality and ease of use of the product.
    • Didn't work with a 1TB USB 3.0 thumb drive (NTFS), but worked with an external 1TB HDD (NTFS)using USB 2.0. Not sure why thumb drive did not work.
    • Not designed to be used as a playback box (ie such as Tivo). You can, but it not worth with it as regular use.
    • No Network, no wifi, or ability to directly transfer files to computer. Need to use thumbdrive\HDD and manually transfer files to computer (ie plex server).

To be fair, this product is primarily designed for Youtubers who want want to capture videos without having to use a computer. It gets slightly higher marks for doing that, thus some of my previous cons remarks can seem unfair for expecting a economy car to have all the features of a luxury pickup truck that costs significantly more.

Its worth purchasing if you want to be able to capture any stream service right now (or local video sources such DVD, VHS, BluRay, LD, TV), and not wait a couple of years for improved Streaming DVRs to be released. As far as I know, this is currently the best product to capture streaming services without a splitter or computer, plus it can capture various from different types of inputs (HDMI, VGA, Component, Composite).

If I had better electronic construction skills, I would have built something similar using a Raspberry pi + arduino.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Interesting, thanks for the detailed report. Out of curiosity, I thought HD capture devices that ignore HDCP violated some law. How does this one get around it, or am I confused?

9. nrnoble

nrnoble Active Member

Aug 25, 2004
    I don't have answer to that question, only speculation. Its clearly a Chinese's made device and they are known for ignoring laws, regulations, and standards outside of China. The product does not advertise itself as bypassing HDCP nor advertise that it can capture streaming content from entertainment services that utilize HDCP and encryption. Even when I bought it I thought I would have to use a splitter and was surprised when it captured all my streaming services without a splitter. I have read (rumors?) that some Chinese devices, such as splitters, have ICs that have been cloned from valid HD TVs so the device is able to send back the proper digital HDCP response to authorize content to pass through. In simple terms, the device is detected to be a valid HDTV.

It would not surprise me if at some later date the company making this product will be legally required to patch the internal roms to enforce HDCP.

astrohip likes this.