HDMI vs. Component

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Dr_Diablo, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I just tried using the HDMI cable that came with the Series 3 Tivo...

It doesn't seem to seat completely into the HDMI slot on the back panel...
    And I noticed while making the connection the video would flicker on my Plasma set...

Is HDMI all that much better in video quality over the Component cable connection ?

2. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    A lot depends on the monitor. Most people can't tell a difference unless doing a quick A/B comparison. I use both...HDMI to the projector and component everywhere else because it's easier/cheaper to split to multiple monitors. I must have 20 sets of component cables in my system right now. :cool:

3. hearncl

hearncl Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Due to obtaining replacement Series 3 TiVos last year, I ended up with three TiVo-supplied HDMI cables. All three fit very loosely in the HDMI connections of both TiVo and receiver, such that moving the cable slightly disconnected the sound. I replaced the cable with one from Radio Shack, which fit snugly.

4. tmark

tmark New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I have just found that component seems more reliable. HDMI - "source not found" problems, mainly with Samsung tvs. HDMI seems be suited for DVD. It comes down to how the tivo/sa play with the tv.

5. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    i use componant because i dont use the sound on my tv. Visually, good luck telling the difference. Ive ran both componant and HDMI on both my hdtv's and couldnt see any difference. Both look spectacular. The main bonus of hdmi is it carries the digital sound and video in one cable. My sorround sound doesnt do hdmi, so there was no point in me running the hdmi.

Essentially, it depends on your source and destination devices from what ive read. But i have 2 different hd tv's and had 2 different boxes hooked up. I couldnt tell the difference. Here's a couple good reads on the subject:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/hdmi-cable.html

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    My stepson hooked up his tivo with hdmi. I hooked up mine with Component. He felt that component worked better and switched to that. I thought that hdmi looked better, so he gave me his cable and we're both happy.

7. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

Thanks for the heads up... I thought the connection was not as snug as it should be, I'll try a better quality cable...

I didn't think Tivo would use a sub-standard cable with this device, go figure... :(

After nearly 12 hours of use, have not seen any of the pixelation that was evident with the Tivo HD device. That will change after the cable cards are paired to this Series 3 I'll wager... Software has made 2 updates since firing it up...
    The remote has that nice feature, for use in a dimmly lit room...
    Do miss the "recently deleted folder" though

8. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Check with monoprice -- they have inexpensive cables that work very well and fit snugly in my THD. They also sell some little 8 inch long HDMI "cable savers" that you can plug into the back of your Tivo (or TV) and then connect your longer HDMI cable to the cable saver (for my setup, this made it easier to reach in and connects things)

I strongly prefer HDMI to component, if for no other reason than the simplicity of the installation and the reduced cable size.

9. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Agreed on the quality of the TiVo HDMI cable...it should be better. I’m sure that’s caused a number of folks audio/video problems that could have been avoided with a better cable.

We've used HDMI and component and couldn't tell the difference either. Right now we actually have both hooked up; TiVo > TV with optical audio to our HT. I switch between HDMI and component now and then...giving friends and family a "taste test"...they can't tell either. Both look outstanding even when comparing cable and OTA HD.

I noted on another thread that you swapped your TiVo HD for an "Original S3"...and you don't have a Recently Deleted folder? :confused: Are you on software v8.3.1? It should be there...assuming that you've deleted a program of course. ;) Our S3 uses Comcast/moto cable cards and we rarely ever experience macroblocking...hopefully yours will remain crystal clear too.

EDIT: Never mind...on yet another thread I see that your Recently Deleted folder is working.

10. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I noted on another thread that you swapped your TiVo HD for an "Original S3"...and you don't have a Recently Deleted folder? Are you on software v8.3.1? It should be there...assuming that you've deleted a program of course. Our S3 uses Comcast/moto cable cards and we rarely ever experience macroblocking...hopefully yours will remain crystal clear too.

EDIT: Never mind...on yet another thread I see that your Recently Deleted folder is working.

Yes indeed, after I massaged my poor ole Tivo back to health, lo-an-behold my deleted folder returned... Mustta been part of that 8.3.1 software update that caused my freakin Tivo to go into a near fatal sleep mode...

All is well for now at least, or until the cable cards get paired to this Tivo, then the fun will begin... stuck on the analog feeds now
    LOL

11. stream

stream New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    San...
    +1

I got a 10' HDMI cable for ~$20 from monoprice--very high quality cables at very reasonable prices.

12. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I prefer HDMI, but earlier this year my TV and Tivo stopped doing the "handshake" correctly, so I'm stuck with component. I called Tivo support months ago, and they said they're aware of the issue and are working on a fix. :rolleyes:

13. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I opted to use the component cables now, since I have several, my fav are the Monster brand cable...

What with the HDMI cable that came with the Tivo, I'm not going to risk a short...

14. travisc77

travisc77 Member

May 25, 2005
    +1 on Monoprice, I have purchase 4-5 HDMI cables over the last couple of years without any issue.

As for HDMI vs Component, on my Samsung & Toshiba LCD's I cannot really see much of a difference, although I still use HDMI because less cable space needed.

With my Westinghouse, HUGE difference! I could not get the colors correct with component, it seemed to always have a greenish tint (green push?) connected to a THD. I don't know what the deal is/was, but it was corrected by connecting HDMI instead of component. I never could determine if it was bad cables, TivoHD or what. All I know is the HDMI cable corrected the green push.

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    On my 47" Westy I could not tell difference between component and HDMI so I went with DRM-free component connection.

16. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    On my 47" Westy I could not tell difference between component and HDMI so I went with DRM-free component connection. As others stated the HDMI cable that ships with the S3 makes a very loose connection and should not be used.

17. TAR

TAR New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Due to pixelization with my new THD I am considering returning it in exchange for a Series 3 to fix the problem. Can I just take the the two cable cards out of my THD and put them into the Series 3 or do I have to go through the business of getting TWC to come out to the house again to authenticate or whatever the cards?

18. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Most likely you will have to get the re-authorized and unless your local TW doesn't really pair the cards to the boxes. 99% chance TW will have to re-auth the cards with the new host/data ids, though. It can be done over the phone if you talk to the right person.

19. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

Just to let you know that exchanging the THD for a Series 3, more than likely will not solve the problem...

Six days ago I returned my Tivo HD for the Series 3 model, launched last Sept 16th, or there about...

As with the Tivo HD there wasn't that first hint of pixelation "without" cable cards...

The Tivo HD developed heavy pexilation as soon as the cards were added...

With the Series 3 Tivo, there wasn't any apparent pixelation... That is until after 24 hours after the cards were paired to the S3..

As of now the pixelation is quite apparent during playback of any recording, be it digital or HD...

One would think that since this product has been on the market for nearly a year now, that these problems would have been addressed in an timely manner? :(

20. Dpmsr

Dpmsr New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Escondido, CA
    Unfortunately, my old computer wont let me install an eithernet card so I'm stuck using a phone line connection with my THD instead of wireless.

I use an HDMI cable and noticed that the phone connection is interupted as soon as I turn the TV off.

Anyone else having this problem? Could the HDMI connection be causing this?