HDMI version for TiVo HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by precutstovetop, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1 of 16
    precutstovetop

precutstovetop New Member

Dec 7, 2007

Advertisements

Hello all i just bought a tivo hd and hooked it up to my westing house tv via HDMI. After watching it for awhile my TV Video started blinking (like the tv was setting up the video's source over and over).. i researched as much as possible on line and even emailed westing house about maybe it being a HDCP handshake issue. they stated that the tv only supports hdmi 1.2a . my question is what version of hdmi is the tivo hd? i've looked online for hours and in the tivo instruction manual... no luck... any one who could help, would be greatly appreciated! This way i can respond to westing house and figure this out...

thank you !

P.S.> component works perfect but i didn't want to use them ....

2. Dec 7, 2007 #2 of 16
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The designation 1.2a refers to the specs for the cable, not for the source device. That is the spec for the vast majority of the cables available at retail stores, or on-line. Type b are higher thruput, but are only used for professional devices and type c have the mini-plug for digital camcorders. Some will carry the 1.3 designation, also referring to higher thruput, and are backward compatible. Unless you bought the cable from some professional specialty shop it is very likely 1.2a.

It is highly unlikely that this is your problem. I would suggest that the problem may be:

1)Loose connection of the cable
    2)Bad cable
    3)Problem with the TV hdmi connector
    4)Problem with the Tivo HD connector

Check the cables to see if there are any bent pins. Try another cable if you have one. Try another device using hdmi into the tv. Make sure the cable is firmly seated.

This should help you narrow down the problem.

3. Dec 7, 2007 #3 of 16
    precutstovetop

Dec 7, 2007
    ive tried those many times diffent cables doesnt matter same problem... diffrent devices with those same cables work fine. tivo works fine upstairs on my dell tv via hdmi with those cables. problem is the westing house tv... so i'm assuming the tivo is 1.3? they stated in their email that sometimes 1.3 devices can cause this issue... I understand it's a cable spec but last night i was fooling around with the tv menu's and if i take the audio out of the hdmi cable and run it through the tv anolog, there is no issue anymore. i would assume that because 1.3 supported the better audio correct ? for the surround sound and thats where the issue may lie? i will email them again later if in fact the tivo is 1.3...??? they also wanted me to run it through to dvi.... but my tv doesnt have dvi... :( so much for westing house knowing the model's of there own tv's ;p

thanks again

4. Dec 7, 2007 #4 of 16
    TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Why not just use component if it works?

On most TVs, there's no difference in picture quality.

Instead of spending hours debugging their software versions for them...

5. Dec 7, 2007 #5 of 16
    Interpol

Interpol New Member

Nov 12, 2007

Advertisements

HDMI version has nothing to do with the problem you're having. Whoever told you this at Westinghouse was giving you the run-around, or doesn't know what he's talking about.

Incidentally, HDMI version isn't exactly a cable spec. HDMI 1.3 has a bandwidth requirement of 3x (400MHz) that of 1.2a so revised HDMI Tx and Rx ICs are required in the source and receive devices.

6. Dec 7, 2007 #6 of 16
    Jiffylush

Jiffylush New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Ok, I have the LVM-42W2 and a S3, and a PS3.

I found that the TiVo works best when the resolution is set to 1080i fixed, the resolution changes can cause an HDMI handshake so this helps reduce them.

The PS3 was not so easy, I ended up getting a new receiver (DG810), it has 3 hdmi inputs and while I still get a handshake sometimes (3 or 4 blinks when switching inputs), I never get a problem that causes me to turn off the TV or disconnect the HDMI cable.

So, try the fixed resolution first, and if that doesn't workout and you were thinking about getting into surround sound or upgrading your current receiver then you might want to consider it. (I would recommend the 910 if you go with a sony, that way non-HDMI sources are sent to the TV over HDMI).

edit: It may not be clear that the LVM-42W2 is a Westinghouse 1080p LCD.

7. Dec 7, 2007 #7 of 16
    precutstovetop

Dec 7, 2007
    i wanted to use hdmi because i paid for it... i wanted to be able to have it for all its benefits... less wires.. digital, etc... whats the use of spending the money and not having working ports or interface's... it makes no sense ya kno? anways like i said if i put the audio through as analog the picture on the tv is fine, so at least i will have a digital picture... i understand its for higher bandwith and all i have basic tech knowledge but something with the audio is causing the problem... i understand people have little or no trust with tech support but maybe just maybe it has to do with the versions of hdmi. higher bandwith for more information right? isn't it to support the higher audio like surround sound? all i know is if i make it analog and connect the rca cables for audio all is well... trust me i know i bought a cheaper end tv. all westing house tv's i hear of always have issue's with something... but thank you all for everything so far... :) next time ill just buy another dell tv. nothing ever went wrong with that one... ;p

o and also none of the fixed resolutions have any different effect. the problem is the same for all of them.

8. Dec 7, 2007 #8 of 16
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The TivoHD uses a standard HDMI 1.1 implementation. HDMI 1.2a and HDMI 1.3 are backward compatible, as required by the specification.

A number of Westinghouse displays are known to have HDMI interoperability issues to many HDMI devices. More information below:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=689997

The problems you have or don't has a lot to do with the version of the firmware on your LVM-42W2.

9. Dec 7, 2007 #9 of 16
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh

What exactly do you mean "take the audio out of the hdmi cable and run it thru the tv analog"? What changes are you making to do this? Menu settings? Cable changes?

The Tivo is not hdmi 1.3. I wish it were since my long term plan is to make sure all new devices have this, however, at this time only the very high end (and expensive) devices provide support for it. It is not a common product yet, and it has nothing to do with surround sound, which is available on all versions.

You understandably have a frustrating problem but you are chasing windmills by worrying about hdmi 1.3. That is not the problem.

If you could explain what change you made (ref. para 1) to correct the problem it may point to the problem.

10. robin50

robin50 Member

Feb 14, 2007
    precutstovetop:

What model is your Westinghouse?

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    HDMI 1.3 doesn't have any advanatge for broadcast sources except for the audio sync amd both the display and sending device would have to support that. HDMI 1.1 is fine. AUdio and video over 1 cable is excellent. I only use HDMI devices(except for my HTPC which has DVI so I still have to use an optical cable) now and currently use around 30 HDMI cables for my many devices with a mix of 1.2a and 1.3 cables with a mix of HDMI 1.1, 1.2a and 1.3 devices. It's so much easier having just one cable for audio and video.

12. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Sorry to be harsh, but then you shouldn't have cheaped-out on the TV. The problem is almost certainly with your TV, and it's ability to to HDMI/HDCP synching.

You "spent the money" on the Tivo HD, but not the TV?

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    No problem over HDMI with my Series 3(or when I had a TiVoHD connected) with my Westinghouse 37" 1080P set. I run audio and video over HDMI to the Westinghouse without any problems.

14. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    I have no problems with HDMI on either of my two Series 3 Tivos. And I have a pretty complicated chain. My main HT has the S3 into a Denon 2307ci receiver and then into my Mitsu WD57831 DLP. The second is feeding a Key Digital Isync HD which feeds an old HD ready Toshiba RPTV on the component inputs.

I have no problems with the video or the audio on either one. Not once have I had even a stutter.

When you research your equipment before buying you must be sure that the HDMI and HDCP implementations work with a wide range of other equipment. That was one of my criteria with both my Mitsu and my Denon. I passed on a Pioneer receiver because of HDMI difficulties.

There may be an answer for you. Not sure. You could certainly explore the AVS forums and see if others have solved the problem, and how.

15. Lensman

Lensman Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Hoboken, NJ...
    Man, that is one massively long thread on the avs forums, there. I can finally see a critical use for the "search this thread" function...

Have you tried the various fixed resolutions from the tivo settings? Does the problem occur for "native", "720p" and "1080i"?

What to folks think about using the DVI input to the westy? Would that make any difference?

BTW, to the OP: Don't think you cheaped out. It's a decent TV and priced very attractively.

Now me, I've cheaped out with my A-Star 32" - though I swear it has a better picture than my HP 32".

Also to the OP: I don't know if you're close enough to the Westinghouse service center to take it in for a firmware upgrade, but that's another possibility, as is contacting your retailer too see if this issue is covered by them in any way.

16. precutstovetop

Dec 7, 2007
    yeah they told me firmware was not an option because i already have the latest one.

also if you read above i do not have dvi connection on this tv.

~~ changes to take audio out of hdmi so my tv only recieves video ~~
    On the westing house tv for the second hdmi input it also has a set of rca audio connections. I can go through the menu on the tv and choose for the audio to be analog and connect those wires accordingly. once i do i have no issue's. so yes its a sync issue with the audio i suppose. that way at least all works well and i still have digital picture...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the tv was priced cheap and yes it was only a secondary tv for my bedroom. it's just an issue with the westing house. i bought the tivo hd so that way i would have cable cards instead of using IR to change channels on my old series two with my cable box. it wasn't a matter of money on going for the best possible. just something that got to me over time with not being able to change the channels without making my cable box confused. not to mention also being able to record 2 cable channel's at once appealed to me as well. also if something has hdmi i'd like to use it... but this fix seems to work ok.

just a work around but hey all my other hdmi work fine and yes once again it has nothing to do with the resolutions from the tivo. i anwsered that before. Yes i have other hdmi tv's that work perfect with it. but after coming home from a long day i like to relax in my room and just watch south park episode's from 3 diffrent channel's ;p .......

and yes i searched and searched on here with the search button. i never usually post a topic but i thought i'd give it a try because i never found the answer i was looking for after a couple hours...

thank you though for all who have been helping me :)