HDMI Ver 1.1 and now Ver 1.3 Whats the Diff?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by wrh30, Aug 12, 2007.

1. wrh30

wrh30 New Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I am ready to purchase my first HD TV and I am looking at one that says it has HDMI v1.1 But I could upgrade for a extra 100 bucks and get HDMI v1.3

Can someone tell me the differance and does it matter with the S3 which version?
    Thanks!

2. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Bandwidth and compatibility.

3. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    doesn't matter with the S3 or Tivo HD

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    It would matter if you are (or will) connect the audio to a receiver with 1.3, and if networks and/or cable companies began providing new audio formats such as Dolby True HD.

It also would matter if you have or plan on getting latest generation Blu-Ray or HD DVP players.

5. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    You will have your new TV for a long time. Spend the extra $100 and get the most current version. Don't buy old technology.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You could although there's been a lot of question as to when (or if ever) you will see the new features actually supported. At this point it will be no earlier than a year before you see 1.3 features supported on any mainstream content.

7. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    What kind of increase in bandwidth do you get and more compatability in what sense?

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    It is already supported by many receivers. Also is supported by Toshiba HD DVD and Samsung Blu-Ray. There are many new DVDs that provide Dolby TruHD soundtracks (requiring HDMI 1.3). The enhanced video (DeepColor) is not yet available on released DVDs.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You DON'T need HDMI 1.3 to get Dolby TrueHD. All you need is a receiver capable of receiving multi channel PCM audio over HDMI. HDMI 1.3 isn't needed for this.

10. litkaj

litkaj Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Exton, PA
    Regardless, if it's only an extra $100 USD then it is well worth the money to get the screen with 1.3 instead of 1.1, if just for the increased color depth that MAY be used by a receiver, BD player, HD-DVD, etc.

11. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    That is true if the player has the codecs for this, otherwise it can only be transported via 1.3 and decoded in the receiver.

12. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    1.3 also solves lip sync problems caused by video processing delays of many digital displays.

That alone would make it worth the $100 to me.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Again, I am not sure of any providers that are even using this technology. There may be some receivers that support it, but its all pointless if nothing is using it. Most AV receivers do not support the lip-sync feature however because they do not use the audio on the HDM0 1.3 link.

14. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    Come on! Just because it isn't used now doesn't mean it won't be in a year or two. People keep their TVs 10 or more years. He will have a need for the latest spec sooner or later.

15. wrh30

wrh30 New Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Thanks for all the opinions on this. I would prefer to get the HDMI 1.3 just incase I would ever need it. Like the previous post states, I plan on keeping the TV for a long time.

And I will get a Blu Ray player at some point in the future.
    I am still a bit confused on what the diff is. What does 1.3 do that 1.1 dosnt do?

I just wanted to make sure 1.3 will not screw up anything with the HDMI output of the S3.
    Since I really didnt know what 1.3 did that 1.1 didnt do.
    I am assuming here by the awnsers that The S3 dosnt care which version the HDMI TV is.
    So I will prob spend the extra 100 bucks.

16. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I have a quick question. If you don't know what version of HDMI your tv has how can you find out? I bought a sharp back in June and it didn't specific what version of HDMI it had, but rather that it had 2x HDMI imputes.

17. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    HDMI 1.3 doesn't actually guarantee you'll have any of the features folks have been mentioning here. Almost all of them are optional features in the spec. Even the HDMI licensing folks say look for the feature, not the HDMI interface version.

If you want Deep Color, xvYCC, lip-sync, higher bandwidth, etc. etc. make sure the specs for your TV says it has those features. Do *not* depend on the HDMI version being 1.3 as a substitute.

This stuff gets pretty convoluted. I'll give you an example. Many HD-DVDs have a TruHD track and HDMI 1.3 allows for TruHD to pass over the HDMI interface. You would think then that if you got an HDMI 1.3 receiver that supported TruHD and connected it to a Toshiba HD-DVD player which support HDMI 1.3, then you could pass TruHD to your receiver.

Wrong! HD-DVD authoring for almost all movies specify an advanced mode where the player ends up mixing audio in at playback time. So the player needs to decode TruHD, mix in real-time audio, then spit it back out to the receiver. Problem is there is only a DTS/DD encoder in the player, no TruHD encoder, so either you get DTS/DD or multi-channel PCM. Personally I think the multi-channel PCM or just the 5.1 discrete analog outputs are fine, but some folks were annoyed when they spent all this money on an HDMI 1.3 receiver and found TruHD support wasn't really useful with HD-DVD.

18. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I could be wrong (Not the first time), but I believe that HDMI 1.3 does not guarantee these features, but it is a requirement for these features to be provided.

They need to do this in order to provide some of the interactive features.

19. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Nope, the features are optional. No such requirement exists.

Steve Venuti from HDMI Licensing LLC
    http://www1.electronichouse.com/info/specials/hdmi_basics2.html
    or go straight to the source and read the 1.3 spec. You'll find Deep Color, xvYCC, lip-sync, higher bandwidth are all optional.

http://www.eetchina.com/ARTICLES/2006AUG/PDF/HDMI_Spec_1.3_GM1.pdf?SOURCES=DOWNLOAD

20. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    There is no way AFAIK to turn off real-time mixing on movies and since there is no TrueHD encoder that effectively means the HDMI 1.3 feature of passing TrueHD is not used for almost all HD-DVD movies.