HDMI Switch for TiVo and Other devices

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Stormspace, May 6, 2011.

1. May 6, 2011 #1 of 12
    Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    I bought this hoping that I could use it on the one HDMI port on my TV for an Xbox, DVD player, and TiVo. Unfortunately while it seemed to autoswitch as advertised, no video or sound would display on the TV. Has anyone had any experience with one of these, or have a suggestion for an inexpensive alternative?

Thanks in advance!

2. May 6, 2011 #2 of 12
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've had no issues with the HDMI switches from Monoprice. I've used 3, 4 and 5 port HDMI switches from them. Even chaining them together with no issues. They come with a remote control to switch the inputs.

Auto switching HDMI switches can work if your devices don't always have a video output active. Some devices always have the HDMI port active and for the auto switching to work properly, the HDMI output from the device needs to be inactive when the box is in standby/off.

With the one from Monoprice, I just hit one button on my harmony remote and it turns all my devices on, including the HDMI switch and the right input.

3. May 6, 2011 #3 of 12
    Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    While it ultimately did not work, the switching technology looked good. Seemed it prioritized the ports on the device by number, so devices on 1 or 2 would over ride 3. That part worked well. I was even able to power on the other devices and see that the switching worked as advertised. However, no matter what was plugged in or where or how many video would not transfer to the TV. The TV acted like it was trying to resolve a signal, but the screen remained blank.

4. May 7, 2011 #4 of 12
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    There could be an issue with the devices you have connected. I saw no description for the switch that indicated which HDMI spec version it was compatible with. If there's a mismatch in versions the hardware was designed for the switch may not function properly. Then again, what do you expect from a $14 switch?

5. May 7, 2011 #5 of 12
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The Monoprice HDMI switchers are still under $30 and have legions of supporters. I find my Monoprice to be quite reliable. You may want to check out Monoprice dot Com and note the HDMI versions for the particular switches.

However, if there is no signal from the device and you switch to that input, some TV's will not display. In that case you have to shut off the TV (essentially resetting it) and then turn on the device so video and audio are present, THEN activate the switch or go to that input.

Also, if one has an inferior TV (sorry--such as Vizio) which are know to have problems resolving the HDMI "handshake", especially form switches or even form just the components themselves, then not much help to be had there. Gook luck.

6. May 8, 2011 #6 of 12
    TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I'm actually using this one with my Tivo Premiere - it worked identically & flawlessly with the Tivo HD previously:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-High-Performance-Switcher-Switch/dp/B0015YWKYY

It comes with a little remote, which I have never used. I've used the setup for about 4-5 months now, so I can't speak as to long-term durability, but honestly, at this price I'll just buy another one when this one fails and still be out ahead!

The situation for me: My bedroom TV is an Olevia 323V (old, I know, but hey) and it has 1 HDMI port. That port goes to the switch. The switch then prioritizes its three ports.

I did this:
    1 - least-used Philips DVP5990 (I think) - usb stick movie watching only
    2 - medium-use Toshiba Blu-ray player
    3 - Tivo (HD then Premiere).

Sound and picture on all three is flawless, though it can take a second to switch (as you would expect). Switching is 100% automatic - if I want to watch a movie, just insert the disc (powering on the bluray player) and bam, the movie appears on the TV, overriding the Tivo's signal. Same for the Philips, and when I turn either / both of them off, it goes back down to the Tivo.

I've seriously considered getting one for my downstairs setup too, it's that drop-dead easy. The best part is the price - even cheaper than Monoprice somehow! :eek:

7. May 8, 2011 #7 of 12
    brshoemak

brshoemak Member

Nov 27, 2010
    ^This. I have the exact one hooked up to my Tivo Premiere and a DVD Player. Auto-switching works flawlessly and it was a great price. The remote is there but sites unused. Stupidly easy.

8. May 8, 2011 #8 of 12
    mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I bought a Monoprice HDMI switcher with digital audio switching so I could use it with my old preamp/processor while my new one was in the shop. The switcher worked fine as long as you didn't actually try to change inputs. I generally like Monoprice products, but this device left a lot to be desired. I think I paid less than $50 for it. The good news is that I've got my pre/pro back from the shop and no longer need to use the switcher.

9. May 9, 2011 #9 of 12
    Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    This unfortunately is what I'm thinking. I have an older Plasma monitor with only one HDMI port. It's entirely possible that the HDMI standards are different.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They are supposed to be backward compaitble. As long as you are talking about PCM or DD audio and up to 1080P60 video, HDMI 1.1 should be fine.

Sometimes there can be an incompatibility between a device and a switch. I've used many dozens of HDMi devices during the last seven years and at least twenty HDMI switches and occassionaly I would have a compatibilty problem between a device and a switch. But it was always resolved by using a different model HDMi switch.

11. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    A newer switch should be backwards compatible with older hardware, but I don't believe an older switch will work with hardware designed under a newer HDMI spec. I had an expensive Gefen switch that would no longer work with my new HDTV because it used an older HDMI spec.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

I've never had any issue mixing older HDMi switches and newer ones. As long as I didn't try to use a feature that the older HDMI spec 1.1 was not capable of it was fine.
    Of course it you try something like DSD over HDMI (which requires HDMI 1.2) or bitstreaming the advanced audio codecs (which require HDMI 1.3) with an HDMI 1.1 switch in the chain, it should not work since you need a later version of HDMi for them.